ATOS Orthoparc Clinic Cologne
Department of Anesthesiology (389427)
Specialized in: anesthesiology
About the department
The Department of Anesthesiology at the ATOS ORTHOPARC Clinic Cologne offers all modern methods of anesthesia: general anesthesia, spinal anesthesia, peridural anesthesia, special treatments for postoperative pain, etc. Due to the high professionalism of physicians, state-of-the-art technical equipment and an individual approach, each patient receives the safest type of anesthesia. The department is headed by Dr. Eddo Gross.
Preparation for anesthesia begins with individual counseling and necessary examinations, after which the specialists will select the best type of anesthesia in accordance with the personal needs and possible risks (depending on the type of intervention). The doctor necessarily informs the patient about the type of anesthesia that will be used, and about postoperative treatment.
After the operation, the patient is transferred to a specially equipped room for anesthesia recovery, which is equipped with the state-of-the-art monitoring systems that allow to fully control bodily functions during the recovery phase after anesthesia and surgery. Right here, the competent specialists of the department begin to conduct intensive postoperative pain therapy, which is the basis for rapid postoperative mobilization and rehabilitation.
In addition, the department's infrastructure includes an intensive care unit for monitoring and treating patients requiring intensive care.
The service range of the department includes:
- General anesthesia means that the patient is immersed in the unconscious state (the phase of deep sleep), in which he/she feels nothing throughout the operation. The analgesic is injected intravenously. Then there may be used a mask, a laryngeal mask airway, intubation, modern anesthetic gases, TIVA (total intravenous anesthesia). Throughout the operation, the latest technologies are used to monitor blood circulation and metabolism, to regulate any abnormalities.
- Spinal anesthesia is a partial pain relief that allows performing all surgeries on the lower half of the body. This type of anesthesia is mainly used in hip and knee replacement surgeries, operations on the knee, foot, etc. The advantages of spinal anesthesia include the absence of a large load on the entire body, and especially on the cardiovascular system and the brain. Consequently, this type of anesthesia is of particular importance for the elderly and helps them to recover faster. The duration of spinal anesthesia is about 3-4 hours, but it can be significantly increased by increasing the dose of the drug. Thus, both small and extensive interventions can be performed.
- Peridural anesthesia is used for very extensive operations in the lower body and for the elimination of postoperative pain.
- Special methods of pain therapy (for example, local infiltration anesthesia, nerve blockade as a regional anesthesia, administration of drugs through catheter devices)
- Homeopathy (homeopathic remedies, such as Arnica C 30, Nux vomica C 30, Phosphorus C 30, Opium C 30, Ferrum metallicum C 30 and many others)
- Other methods of anesthesia
- Since 2014 Chief Physician of the Department of Anesthesiology at the ATOS ORTHOPARC Clinic Cologne.
- 2011 - 2013 Leading Senior Physician of the Department of Anesthesiology at the ATOS ORTHOPARC Clinic Cologne.
- 2009 Appointed as a Senior Physician at the Holy Trinity Hospital, Cologne.
- Since 2006 Work in the team of Prof. Dr. Schmidt and Dr. Krings-Ernst at the Holy Trinity Hospital, Cologne.
- 1992 - 2006 Acting Head of the Department, responsible for the intensive care unit at the Evangelical Clinic Bergisch Gladbach.
- 1990 Medical Specialist in Anesthesiology and Emergency Medicine.
- Since 1985 Training in the field of Anesthesiology, internship in several clinics (for example, ambulance/Christophe 12 rescue helicopter, University Hospital Kiel).
- 1984 State examination at the University of Hamburg.
Membership in Societies
- Association of German Anesthesiologists (BDA).
- German Society of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care (DGAI).
Photo of the doctor: (c) ATOS Orthoparc Klinik Köln
Department of Anesthesiology.
ATOS Orthoparc Clinic Cologne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.