Baskent University Hospital Istanbul
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery (646849)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul offers the full range of services in its area of specialization. The department's medical team provides treatment to patients with various diseases of the ear, throat, nose, as well as head and neck tumors. One of the most important department's focuses is cochlear implantation to treat severe hearing loss. Particular attention is paid to the treatment of acoustic neuroma. In addition, the department's specialists are making great strides in the correction of congenital auricular deformities in young children. The department has the most advanced treatments that effectively cure ENT diseases of any severity. Strict adherence to the current clinical protocols and the high professionalism of the department's doctors guarantee an optimal treatment result. The department is headed by Assoc. Prof. Dr. med. Pelin Kocdor.
The experts of the department have special competence in the field of cochlear implant placement for the treatment of severe hearing loss or complete hearing loss. The essence of the method is to place a device that converts electrical impulses into signals recognized by the nervous system. The implant itself is placed under the skin in the temporal region. The external speech processor is located on the surface of the skin. Once the implant has been placed, it will take some time to adjust the processor, after which the patient will be able to easily recognize sounds. The cochlear implants are used to treat congenital hearing loss or severe medical conditions for which conventional hearing aids are ineffective. The department's doctors also perform cochlear implantation in children. This type of treatment helps not only to restore hearing in young patients, but also to prevent speech disorders. The specialists recommend cochlear implantation for congenital hearing loss in babies aged 6-12 months.
Another important focus of the department's clinical practice is the correction of aesthetic defects in children. The team of ENT doctors mostly has to deal with such defects as protruding ears, auricular and auditory canal malformations. The operations to correct congenital aesthetic defects do not refer to high-complexity surgery, but they should be performed on time. This will prevent the development of psychological complexes in adulthood, and will also significantly improve the quality of life of the child. It should be noted that the department uses an innovative method of non-invasive correction of the auricles. In the course of such treatment, the doctors use special devices that are fixed on the child's ears. As a result, the ear shape changes and the achieved result is consolidated. Thus, the child and his parents are not exposed to stress and worries about the surgical treatment.
The department also successfully performs interventions to remove benign and malignant neoplasms in the head and neck. If necessary, the operation may be followed by reconstructive interventions. The treatment of malignancies is planned within the framework of an interdisciplinary tumor board with the participation of specialists from the related medical disciplines. The treatment regimen is developed for each patient individually. In the case of detection of metastases, the doctors conduct radiation therapy with a further removal of the focus. The patients with advanced stages of head and neck cancer are provided with palliative care aimed at relieving symptoms and improving the quality of life.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following ENT diseases:
- Diseases of the auditory analyzer
- Hearing impairment, including severe hearing loss, sudden deafness
- Sensorineural hearing loss
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Meniere's disease
- Acoustic neuroma
- Inflammatory processes
- Auricular neoplasms
- Congenital auricular malformations in children
- Diseases of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Maxillary sinusitis
- Nasal septum deviation
- Nasal and paranasal sinus polyps
- Nasal and paranasal sinus cysts
- Nasal and paranasal sinus tumors
- Diseases of the throat
- Laryngeal and oropharyngeal tumors
- Laryngeal stenosis
- Benign and malignant neoplasms in the head and neck
- Other ENT diseases
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Cochlear implantation
- Placement of implantable hearing aids
- Restoration of mobility and sensitivity in the area of facial nerve innervation
- Auricular reshaping and correction of the anomalies of the auditory canal in adults and children
- Tracheal and laryngeal surgery
- Microsurgical and endoscopic procedures in the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses
- Septoplasty (nasal septum straightening)
- Surgery to remove head and neck tumors, reconstructive and plastic surgery after tumor removal
- Adenoid removal
- Other treatments
Higher Education, Postgraduate Training and Professional Career
- 1995 - 2002 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2001 - 2002 Internship, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2003 - 2008 Highly specialized training in Otolaryngology, Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey.
- 2008 - 2011 Staff Surgeon, Birecik State Hospital, Birecik, Turkey.
- 2011 - 2012 Staff Surgeon, Efes Otolaryngology Clinic, Izmir, Turkey.
- 2012 - 2013 Research Fellow, Head and Neck Cancer Center, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, USA.
- 2013 - 2014 Clinical Fellow, specialization in otology, Paparella Ear Head And Neck Institute, Minneapolis, USA.
- 2015 - 2016 Research Fellow, Specialization in Neurotology, Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, USA.
- 2016 - 2018 Associate Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck, Istanbul Okan University, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2018 Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey.
- 2019 Associate Professor, Faculty of Medicine, Baskent University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Cochlear implantation.
- Otology and Neurotology (surgical treatment).
- Placement of implantable hearing devices.
- Surgical treatment of chronic otitis media and cholesteatoma.
- Surgical treatment of otosclerosis.
- Surgical treatment of Meniere's disease.
Awards and Honors
- 2015 Poster Award of the American Otology andNeurotology Societies, Boston, USA.
Membership in Professional Societies
- 2018 American Neurotology Society.
- 2007 Turkish Society of Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
- 2017 International Society for Otologic Surgery and Science.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Istanbul Başkent Hospital
Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery.
Baskent University Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.