Baskent University Hospital Istanbul
Department of Urology, Urologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Andrology (646855)
Ali Ferruh Akay
Specialized in: urology, urologic oncology, urogynecology, andrology
About the department
The Department of Urology, Urologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Andrology at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul provides the full range of top-class diagnostic and therapeutic services in its areas of specialization. The doctors of the department pay key attention to patients with cancer – prostate cancer, testicular cancer, kidney cancer and bladder cancer. The department also admits patients with benign urological diseases, including benign prostatic hyperplasia, renal cysts and urinary tract infections. In the field of urogynecology, the main focus is on the treatment of urinary incontinence in men and women. In addition, the department's doctors provide effective treatment for andrological disorders in men. The department's specialists have the most advanced treatment methods, including sparing laparoscopic interventions, lithotripsy for crushing kidney and urinary tract stones, laser techniques, etc. Each clinical case is considered individually, which contributes to the highest treatment efficiency. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Ali Ferruh Akay.
One of the most common diagnoses in the department's clinical practice is prostate cancer. With impressive experience and advanced technologies, the department's medical team provides its patients with the most effective treatment for this type of oncology. Most patients go to the clinic in advanced cases, in which it is impossible to avoid surgical treatment. The clinic positions itself as an advanced medical facility, and therefore prostate cancer surgery is performed using laparoscopic techniques. Such surgical treatment guarantees the preservation of erectile function and excludes urinary disorders. In addition, the patient experiences minimal postoperative pain and can leave the clinic after just a few days. A monotherapy using radiation may be sufficient to treat early stage prostate cancer, while the advanced cases require surgical treatment complemented by radiation therapy. In rare clinical situations, when the pathology progresses slowly and without any symptoms, the doctors of the department use watchful waiting, which excludes any drug treatment, radiation therapy and surgery. The treatment regimen is developed for each patient individually with the participation of urologists, oncologists, radiation therapists, radiologists and other specialists.
Another department's focus is on urolithiasis treatment, which is characterized by the formation of stones in the kidneys and organs of the urinary system. Such concrements may develop due to metabolic disorders, kidney failure and can reach several centimeters in diameter, which often causes ureteral obstruction and attacks of acute lower back pain. To treat urolithiasis, the department uses such modern methods as extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy, litholysis, laparoscopic lithotomy and others. All these methods have won wide recognition in leading hospitals in the world and guarantee the best results.
The primary task of the department's urogynecologists is the treatment of various types of urinary incontinence in men and women. Pathology affects women 2 times more often, but it also occurs in men. The treatment tactics are determined individually for each patient, depending on the stage of disease progression, the severity of the symptoms of the disease, the patient's lifestyle and his wishes. Prior to the prescription of a particular treatment program, the patient undergoes a comprehensive diagnostic examination in order to find out the true cause of the disease. The diagnostics includes clinical examination, urodynamic testing, cystoscopy, blood tests, urine tests and other studies. Whenever possible, the specialists try to avoid drastic measures and resort to behavioral therapy, biofeedback systems, innovative drugs, electrical stimulation and other conservative methods. In advanced cases, the treatment may involve transurethral injections, minimally invasive surgery and other procedures.
The department also provides treatment to men with andrological disorders. The primary focus is on the treatment of erectile dysfunction and infertility in men. The attending physician provides a consultation, during which he studies the patient's history, finds out about his complaints, and then prescribes the necessary diagnostic measures. Based on the diagnostic results, the necessary set of therapeutic procedures is selected.
The department's main clinical focuses include:
- Urologic oncology
- Diagnostics and treatment of prostate cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of testicular cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of kidney cancer
- Diagnostics and treatment of bladder cancer
- General urology
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
- Diagnostics and treatment of renal cysts
- Diagnostics and treatment of urinary tract infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of all forms of urinary incontinence in women and men
- Diagnostics and treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Diagnostics and treatment of male infertility
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1985 - 1989 Bachelor's Degree, Dokuz Eylül University.
- 1989 - 1991 Master's Degree, Dokuz Eylül University.
- 1995 - 1999 Doctorate, Faculty of Medicine, Dicle University.
- 2004 - 2006 Assistant Professor, Dicle University.
- 2006 - 2008 Associate Professor, Dicle University.
- 1991 - 2005 Medical Practitioner, Akşehir Doğrugöz Health Center.
- 1995 - 2008 Urologist, School of Medicine, Dicle University.
- 2008 - 2012 Urologist, Veni Vidi Hospital.
- 2012 - 2013 Urologist, Memorial Hospital Diyarbakır.
- 2013 - 2014 Urologist, Pendik Şifa Hospital.
- 2014 - 2017 Urologist, Istanbul Teaching and Research Hospital.
- 2017 - 2019 Urologist, Department of Urology, Urologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Andrology at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul.
- Since 2019 Professor, Department of Urology, Urologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Andrology at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Medical Association.
- Istanbul Medical Association.
- Turkish Association of Urologic Surgery.
- Turkish Association of Urologic Oncology.
- Turkish Society of Urologic Minimally Invasive Surgery.
- European Association of Urology (EAU).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Istanbul Başkent Hospital
Department of Urology, Urologic Oncology, Urogynecology and Andrology.
Baskent University Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.