Baskent University Hospital Istanbul
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (655687)
Omer Refik Ozerdem
Specialized in: plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery
About the department
The Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul performs the full range of surgical interventions in the areas of its specialization. The aesthetic plastic surgeons of the department brilliantly perform facelift, neck lift, forehead lift, eyebrow lift, nose and ear reshaping, as well as various interventions to improve the body – liposuction, abdominoplasty, arm lift, thigh lift, breast augmentation and reduction, etc. The department's team of reconstructive plastic surgeons specializes in the correction of facial and body defects due to the resection of neoplasms, trauma and congenital anomalies. In addition, the department performs various non-surgical procedures in order to improve the appearance, in particular, Botox and filler injections, PRP therapy. The department's surgeons are leading specialists in their field of activity. They have extensive clinical experience and also regularly undergo advanced training courses in the best hospitals in Turkey and the United States in order to be able to offer their patients innovative sparing plastic surgery techniques. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Omer Refik Ozerdem.
The decision to perform one or another plastic surgery is made only individually, based on the results of comprehensive diagnostics to assess the general health of the patient, as well as his wishes. All patients about to undergo plastic surgery feel anxious because they are not sure if they will like the end result. Therefore, modern 3D modeling computer systems are widely used in clinical practice, with the help of which a plastic surgeon can imagine the patient's new appearance after surgery in various projections in advance. After such imaging, the patient can understand that, for example, the shape of the nose or ears, which he initially wanted, will look disharmonious with his facial features. In such situations, at the preoperative stage, the surgeon works at modeling the ideal shape of one or another part of the body, which he then brings to life during the operation. Thanks to this approach, the department's specialists achieve a high percentage of patient satisfaction and give them the face or body of their dreams.
The most demanded facial plastic interventions include face and neck lift. A facelift allows eliminating such signs of aging as a fuzzy face line, wrinkles and sagging skin. The choice of a lift technique is determined by the severity of age-related changes, the individual characteristics of the patient's skin, his general health and other factors. The department performs face and neck lift procedures using minimally invasive techniques, which guarantees a speedy postoperative recovery and the absence of visible scars. In some cases, there is no need for an invasive procedure – to improve the face line and treat wrinkles, the department's specialists perform Botox and filler injections or carry out PRP therapy. The injection procedures are performed on an outpatient basis.
The department also quite often performs surgery to correct the shape of the nose (rhinoplasty) and ears (otoplasty). The department's plastic surgeons perform rhinoplasty both for aesthetic reasons and if medically required. The desire to change the shape of the nose is mostly caused by dissatisfaction with its appearance, for example, a person can have a thickened tip of the nose, excessively large nasal wings, a hump, too long nose in proportion to other facial features, etc. However, in some cases, plastic surgery on the nose may be required due to difficulty breathing, snoring, nasal septum fractures and other pathological conditions. When preparing the patient for the operation, the doctors conduct the comprehensive examination of the ENT organs, computed tomography of the bones of the face and skull, examination of the nasal passages and paranasal sinuses and treatment of nasal inflammatory processes. The department performs all types of rhinoplasty – open, closed and non-surgical (the administration of special calcium gels to correct the shape of the nose). The optimal technique is selected for each patient individually, depending on the complexity of the clinical situation. Otoplasty is most often resorted to for the correction of protruding ears, as well as for the correction of ear defects, including the absence of an earlobe, ear injuries. The department's specialists perform otoplasty using minimally invasive surgery, which is performed through miniature tissue incisions in the scalp. The small size of the surgical wound minimizes the risks of infection and blood loss, as well as promotes the fastest possible tissue healing.
Body plastic surgery is no less popular than facial plastic surgery. The team of the department's surgeons successfully performs abdominoplasty, arm lift, thigh lift, various types of liposuction, including innovative laser liposuction, breast lift, augmentation and reduction in women, as well as surgery to treat gynecomastia in men. To achieve the best result, each intervention is carefully planned, including with the use of 3D computer modeling systems. Almost all plastic interventions on the body are performed using sparing laparoscopic techniques, and therefore the patient can return to his daily life after the intervention as soon as possible.
In the field of reconstructive plastic surgery, the department's patients are offered a wide range of services to eliminate postoperative, congenital and acquired defects in the face and body. The department's specialists most often have to deal with the restoration of extensive skin defects (for example, after injuries or tumor removal), restoration of facial aesthetics after facial bone fractures, as well as breast reconstruction after the removal of malignancies or mastectomy.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Facial plastic aesthetic surgery
- Neck lift
- Forehead and eyebrow lift
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)
- Rhinoplasty (nose job)
- Otoplasty (ear reshaping)
- Lip augmentation and lip reshaping
- Facial contouring with botox and filler injections
- PRP therapy for facial rejuvenation
- Facial scar revision
- Body plastic aesthetic surgery
- Liposuction, including an ultrasound technique
- Abdominoplasty (tummy tuck)
- Brachioplasty (arm lift)
- Femoroplasty (thigh lift)
- Breast lift
- Breast augmentation
- Breast reduction
- Gynecomastia correction in men
- Body scar revision
- Facial plastic reconstructive surgery
- Rhinoplasty (for example, in the case of fractures and displacement of the nasal septum)
- Otoplasty (for example, in the case of microtia, underdeveloped ears, split ear lobes, ear defects after trauma)
- Removal of facial skin tumors followed by the correction of skin defects
- Reconstructive surgery after facial bone fractures
- Body plastic reconstructive surgery
- Removal of skin tumors followed by the correction of skin defects
- Breast reconstruction after the removal of malignancies or mastectomy
- Other medical services
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1985 - 1991 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the Ege University, Izmir.
- 1992 - 1998 Resident, Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital at Cukurova University, Adana.
- 1998 - 2000 Fellow, Department of Plastic Surgery and Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA.
- 2000 - 2002 Work at the Faculty of Medicine of Baskent University, as well as at the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the hospital in Adana.
- 2002 - 2003 Postgraduate Fellowship in Craniofacial Surgery, Miami Children's Hospital and University of Miami, Miami, Florida, USA.
- 2002 - 2003 Fellow, focus on Craniofacial Surgery, Department of Plastic Surgery, Cedars Medical Center, Miami, Florida, USA.
- 2003 - 2005 Associate Professorship at Baskent University, as well as the position of Chief Physician in the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the hospital in Adana.
- 2005 - 2006 Postgraduate Fellowship in Aesthetic Surgery, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
- 2005 - 2006 Surgeon, Department of Hand Surgery, Cooper Green Hospital, Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
- 2006 - 2018 Work in private practices in Istanbul and Antalya.
- Since 2018 Chief Physician of the Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery at the Baskent University Hospital Istanbul.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Turkish Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery.
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association.
- European Board of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery.
- International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- International Confederation of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery.
- Turkish Medical Association.
- Turkish Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Istanbul Başkent Hospital
Department of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery.
Baskent University Hospital Istanbul:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.