Diagnosis and 24-hour video EEG for epilepsy (program ID: 415793)
Beta Klinik Bonn
Christian E. ElgerSpecialized in: neurology, epileptology
Department of Neurology and Epileptology
The Department of Neurology and Epileptology annually examines more than 1,400 patients with suspected epilepsy. There is conducted an inpatient 24-hour video EEG monitoring, which can accurately identify epileptic brain activities. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Christian E. Elger, who is a member of the International League Against Epilepsy and has more than 25 years of experience in the research and treatment of this disease.
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- determination of the concentration
of antiepileptic drugs in the blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- neurological examination
- CT/MRI scan
- neuropsychological tests (on indications):
- ENMG (electroneuromyography)
- EEG (electroencephalography)
- SEPs (somatosensory evoked potentials)
- VEPs (visually evoked potentials)
- BAEP tests (brainstem auditory evoked potential)
- stationary EEG monitoring
- symptomatic treatment
- control examinations
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Neurology and Epileptology at the Beta Klinik offers diagnostics, differential diagnostics and individual forms of treatment for all neurological diseases in patients of any age group. The department specializes in the treatment of epilepsy, headaches, migraine, and neurological disorders of the nervous system. There is the cutting-edge equipment for diagnosis, for example, 3T MRI scanner, which allows to detect changes in the cerebral cortex that may be a possible cause of epilepsy. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Christian E. Elger.
The Chief Physician and the Founder of the department, Prof. Dr. med. Christian Elger, is an internationally acknowledged epileptologist with many years of experience in the research and treatment of epilepsy. Prior to that, the Professor has been heading the Department of Epileptology at the University Hospital Bonn for more than 25 years.
In the field of epilepsy treatment, the the advanced methods are used, for example, the implantation of stereotactic electrodes for the localization of the epileptic focus. With the help of MRI-guided laser ablation, there is provided the most sparing surgical treatment of epilepsy. In addition, the department is one of the few centers, which provides successful treatment of patients with psychogenic, non-epileptic seizures (in cooperation with the Department of Psychosomatic Medicine).
The department offers the following therapeutic range of services for epilepsy treatment:
- Drug treatment
- Ketogenic diet
- Surgical treatment of epilepsy with MRI-guided laser ablation
- Resection epilepsy surgery (in cooperation with the Department of Neurosurgery)
- Stimulation methods in epilepsy treatment (vagus nerve stimulation)
- Treatment of autoimmune diseases associated with epilepsy
- Treatment of patients with tuberous sclerosis associated with epilepsy
- Treatment of patients with other neurological diseases (for example, migraine)
In the field of neurophysiology, the department covers the wide range of diseases of the peripheral nervous system, spinal motor system, and central motor disorders. Based on the detailed clinical and hardware diagnostics, one can identify the causes of the disease and make an accurate diagnosis. Then the corresponding drug, surgical or neurorehabilitation, physio- or psychotherapeutic treatment begins.
The spectrum of neurophysiological services of the department covers the diagnosis and treatment of the following diseases:
- Muscle diseases (muscle cramps, muscle pains)
- Nerve diseases (polyneuropathy, cranial nerves, nerve injuries or impingement syndromes, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, nerve root lesions in spinal disc herniation)
- Spinal cord diseases (myelopathy, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis)
- Motor disorders (of the peripheral and central nervous system, such as Parkinson's disease, dystonia or stroke)
- And other neurological diseases
- Founded the Department of Neurology at the Beta Klinik in 2017.
- Has more than 25 years of experience in the field of epilepsy research and treatment.
- Has a great number of awards and prizes.
- 1969 - 1976 Studied medicine, received a doctoral degree and a license for medical practice.
- 1982 Post-doctorate in Physiology.
- 1982 - 1985 Trained as a Neurologist at the Universities of Münster, Memphis and Zurich.
- 1985 Specialist in Neurology.
- 1985 - 1987 Senior Physician at the Neurology Clinic of the University of Münster.
- 1986 Post-doctorate in the field of Neurology.
- 1986 - 1987 Board Member of the Westphalia-Lippe Medical Association.
- 1987 - 2017 Professor of Epileptology at the University of Bonn.
- 1990 - 2017 Head of the Department of Epileptology at the University Hospital.
- 1991 - 1994 Member of the Advisory Council of the Ministry of Health.
- 1997 - 1999 1st Chairman of the German Section of the International League Against Epilepsy.
- 2000 - 2001 President of the German Society for Clinical Neurophysiology.
- 2000 Member of the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences.
- 2001 Associate Editor: Epilepsy and Behaviour.
- 2001 - 2007 Spokesman for the transregional special research area (TR3) Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.
- 2003 Co-founder and Partner of Life & Brain GmbH, Bonn..
- 2004 - 2008 Associate Editor: Brain.
- 2004 - 2008 Member of the Supervisory Board for Neurosciences for the DFG (German Research Community).
- 2006 - 2015 Scientific General Director of Life & Brain GmbH, Bonn.
- 2009 Co-founder and Director of the Center for Economics and Neuroscience, University of Bonn.
- 2017 Foundation of the Department of Neurology at the Beta Klinik.
Awards and Prizes (Extract)
- 1992 Marion-Merrell-Dow Promotional Prize for Epilepsy Research (with C. Helmstaedter, A. Hufnagel). Honorary Member of the Swiss League Against Epilepsy.
- 2005 Ambassador in the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE).
- 2005 Zuelch-Prize from the Gertrud-Reemtsma-Foundation in the Max-Planck-Society.
- 2010 Hans-Berger-Prize from DGKN for merits in the field of Epileptology.
- 2011 Victor and Clara Soriano Award of the World Federation of Neurology.
- 2012 European Epileptology Award of the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE).
- 2015 William G. Lennox Award of the American Epilepsy Society (AES).
- 2017 Moritz Romberg Award of the European Academy of Neurology (EAN).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Beta Klinik Service-, Verwaltungs- und Forschungs- GmbH