Bundeswehr Academic Hospital Berlin
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectology, Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology, Hematology, Oncology and Palliative Care (569838)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, infectology, cardiology, angiology, pulmonology, hematology, oncology, palliative care
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Infectology, Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology, Hematology, Oncology and Palliative Care at the Bundeswehr Academic Hospital Berlin offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of pathologies of the gastrointestinal tract, infectious diseases, diseases of the cardiovascular system, lungs, pleura. The therapy of oncological pathologies is provided in interdisciplinary collaboration. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Ulrich Baumgarten.
The basis of the successful treatment outcome is the excellent diagnostic equipment, which allows the doctors to make the most accurate diagnostics. The department is equipped with the cutting-edge systems for endoscopy, ultrasound examinations, a laboratory for functional diagnostics of the heart, lungs, as well as a highly modern angiological laboratory for the examination of vessels.
The primary focus of the department is the diagnostics and treatment of benign and malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system (leukemia, lymphoma, bone marrow diseases) and malignant tumors of the internal organs (tumors of the stomach, intestines, pancreas, lungs, liver, breast and soft tissues). In addition to the classical procedures for cancer treatment, for example, chemotherapy, antibody therapy, the department offers symptomatic pain therapy and palliative care for the patients with end-stage cancer, aimed at improving the quality of human life.
In the field of gastroenterology, a special focus is made on the use of endoscopic methods of diagnostics and therapy (for example, capsule endoscopy, double balloon enteroscopy, diagnostic and interventional endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, percutaneous transhepatic cholangioscopy, etc.). In the case of detection of malignant gastrointestinal tumors, an optimal treatment plan (in interdisciplinary collaboration) is carefully developed. It may include both surgical and conservative measures, including chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Also, the department employs qualified nutritionists, who select the right diet and hold consultations on all issues in this field.
An important department’s focus is the treatment of infectious diseases, including tropical infections. The department’s specialists mostly have to deal with the treatment of tuberculosis, AIDS, HIV and related diseases, malaria, osteomyelitis, endocarditis, meningitis, etc. The doctors from the Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Venereology are involved for the provision of comprehensive treatment of infections. An infectious emergency service works 24 hours a day.
The experienced cardiologists and oncologists of the department provide high-class, modern diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system. The department has innovative Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory with the possibility of intravascular imaging, which makes it possible to evaluate and effectively eliminate stenosis and other pathological changes in the vessels. In the event of suspected aortic stenosis, mitral valve insufficiency, and in the case of necessity of Mitraclips system implantation, the department maintains close cooperation with the specialists from the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the Charite University Hospital. Also, if the patient needs coronary artery bypass grafting or heart valve replacement, the doctors from the Department of Cardiac Surgery of the Charite University Hospital are involved in the process. The department's cardiologists also have vast experience in the implantation of pacemakers and event recorders.
Another equally important focus of the department is pulmonology. The diagnostics and therapeutic spectrum covers all diseases of the lungs and bronchi, from acute and chronic pathologies to sleep-related breathing disorders, oncopathologies. In addition to general functional diagnostics, which includes spirometry, whole-body plethysmography, measurement of the lung diffusing capacity, the department carries out non-specific provocation tests. The detection of sleep-related breathing disorders is carried out through a complete sleep screening. The department offers a wide range of endoscopic techniques for the diagnostics and treatment lung and bronchial tumors.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the gastrointestinal tract, including the diet therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the cardiovascular system
- Diagnostics and treatment of lung and bronchial diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the peripheral arterial and venous vascular system
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious and tropical diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancers of internal organs and blood
- Emergency care (for example, in the case of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- 24-hour medical care for the patients with infectious diseases
- Endoscopy and ultrasound diagnostics
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs, kidneys, thyroid gland
- Color Duplex sonography and contrast-enhanced ultrasound
- Manometry of the anal area and esophagus
- Esophageal pH-metry (measurement of the acidity)
- Proctological diagnostics and therapy (for example, hemorrhoids treatment)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography, including therapeutic measures (for example, removal of gallstones and installation of endoprostheses)
- Functional diagnostics
- Flexible bronchoscopy
- Capsule endoscopy
- Diagnostics of the cardiovascular system and lung function
- ECG, long-term ECG, bicycle ergometry
- Pacemaker monitoring
- Pacemaker implantation
- 24-hour blood pressure monitoring
- Color-coded duplex ultrasonography of the cerebral and limb vessels
- Pulmonary function tests, including whole-body plethysmography
- Sleep-related breathing disorders (MESAM)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Photo of the doctor: (c) Bundeswehrkrankenhaus Berlin
Department of Gastroenterology, Infectology, Cardiology, Angiology, Pulmonology, Hematology, Oncology and Palliative Care.
Bundeswehr Academic Hospital Berlin:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.