Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur
Department of Pulmonology, Somnology and Respiratory Medicine (588510)
Specialized in: pulmonology, somnology, respiratory medicine
About the department
The Department of Pulmonology, Somnology and Respiratory Medicine at the Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The doctors of the department have excellent qualifications in the treatment of all benign and malignant diseases of the lungs, respiratory tract, pleura. They also conduct all forms of auxiliary respiratory therapy in acute and chronic respiratory failure, as well as provide medical assistance to patients with sleep disorders. The spectrum is complemented by psycho-oncology and palliative care. The combination of the advanced infrastructure of the department with the professionalism of doctors allows to guarantee the first-class treatment meeting modern standards of medicine. The department is headed by Dr. med. Jutta Kappes.
The department includes a state-of-art Endoscopy Laboratory equipped with all medical devices of the latest generation for the most accurate diagnostics. For example, it serves to carry out sparing ultrasound examinations of the lungs, mediastinal organs and abdominal organs through the trachea or esophagus and stomach.
Another structural unit of the department is a specialized outpatient clinic for the diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension with damage to the lungs and pulmonary vessels. It is noteworthy that the doctors of the department have successful experience in treating rare pathologies of the lungs and respiratory system. The most important attention is paid to the diagnostics and treatment of lung cancer and cancer of other respiratory organs. After concluding a cancer diagnosis, the doctors hold an interdisciplinary board with a presentation of the clinical case, based on which they determine the further treatment regimen. The department is a recognized Lung Cancer Center (certified by the German Cancer Society).
The important foci of the department’s work are somnology, which deals with the diagnostics and treatment of sleep disorders, and respiratory medicine. The patient is provided with all the possibilities for diagnosing sleep, breathing during sleep, measuring the content of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the body during sleep. The diagnostics is carried out in the specialized Sleep Laboratory. Thus, the doctor receives all the data to adapt supporting respiratory therapy to the indications of a particular patient.
The department’s specialists work in close cooperation with thoracic surgeons, cardiologists and experts in the field of interventional radiology. Thanks to the coordinated work of various doctors of related disciplines, the patient is guaranteed excellent medical care focused on long-term results.
The service range of the department includes:
- Pulmonary function testing
- Body plethysmography
- Measurement of diffusing capacity of the lungs / determination of residual lung volume
- Determination of the degree of lung compliance
- Respiratory muscle strength assessment
- Analysis of blood gas composition at rest and stress
- Non-specific and specific provocative tests
- Pulmonary endoscopy
- Flexible and rigid bronchoscopy
- Transesophageal sonography
- Endobronchial sonography
- Endobronchial valve implantation
- Endobronchial coil implantation
- Argon plasma coagulation
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Differential cytology and immunocytology
- Transbronchial cryobiopsy
- Internal endoscopy/sonography of the organs of the neck, chest and abdomen
- Thyroid sonography and fine-needle aspiration biopsy
- Sternal puncture
- Needle aspiration biopsy of the liver
- Pleural puncture for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes
- Pericardial puncture for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes (endoscopically and transthoracic)
- Colonoscopy, rectoscopy
- Long-term pH-metry
- Sleep Diagnostics/Respiratory Medicine
- Polygraphy, long-term capnometry
- Pupilographic drowsiness test, vigilance test
- Screening for sleep apnea syndrome using polygraphy
- Invasive and non-invasive ventilation (CPAP, BiPAP)
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Prick testing
- Skin testing
- Bronchial provocation tests
- Other diagnostic tests (in collaboration with the Department of Cardiology)
- Transthoracic echocardiography
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Stress catheter diagnostics
- Catheter diagnostics of pulmonary hypertension with the use of pharmaceuticals
- Special physiotherapy for patients with respiratory diseases
- Psycho-oncological support
- Palliative care
- Other medical services
Photo of the doctor: (с) Katholischen Klinikum Koblenz - Montabaur
Department of Pulmonology, Somnology and Respiratory Medicine.
Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.