Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine (588525)
Specialized in: diagnostic and interventional radiology, nuclear medicine
About the department
The Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine at the Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur offers the full range of services in these medical fields. Clinical practice is based on the use of the cutting-edge computer technology, the professionalism of doctors and an individual approach to each patient. Due attention is paid to the reduction of radiation exposure and creation of comfortable conditions for the patient, whereas the quality of diagnostic examinations and therapeutic procedures remains at the highest level. The department is one of the leading in the fields of its specialization in Germany, and it also gained an excellent reputation internationally. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Sascha Herber.
In the field of diagnostic radiology, the department conducts high-precision X-ray examinations using state-of-the-art X-ray flat panel devices, computed tomography of the latest generation, which allows for the examination of all parts of the human body, including in emergency cases. The very latest CT technologies allow the doctors to carry out non-invasive diagnostics of diseases of the coronary arteries and cerebral vessels. Also, the diagnostic spectrum is complemented by all types of MRI examinations. The department specializes in the examination of the nervous system, skeletal bones, abdominal organs and blood vessels.
The specialists in the field of interventional radiology perform various minimally invasive therapeutic procedures. They are mostly used for the treatment of pathological changes in blood vessels (for example, aneurysms), biliary tract and spinal diseases, malignant tumors, installation of venous ports and punch biopsy in suspected cancer. The department has successful experience in the treatment of acute stroke using special catheters. The tumors are treated using local chemotherapy, which implies the introduction of chemotherapeutic drugs in the tumor area using special probes. Also, the doctors perform CT- and X-ray-guided stabilizing interventions in case of vertebral fractures, punctures in malignant changes, etc.
An integral part of the department's work is radioisotope diagnostics and therapy (nuclear medicine). In this field, the department conducts examination of the brain, thyroid gland, salivary glands, lungs, kidneys, skeleton, bladder, stress and resting cardiac examination (myocardial scintigraphy) using physical or pharmacological load. For the early detection of tumor metastases, the special labeled antibodies are used.
The service range of the department includes:
- Diagnostic radiology
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Classical X-ray examinations, including phlebography, myelography, mammography, etc.
- Interventional radiology
- Therapy of vascular pathology
- Angiography and percutaneous transluminal angioplasty
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunting (TIPS)
- Stent implantation for the treatment of portal hypertension in cirrhosis
- Treatment of benign and malignant tumors
- Transarterial chemoembolization
- Percutaneous ethanol injection
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Percutaneous vertebroplasty (minimally invasive medical procedure for the treatment of vertebral body fractures)
- Catheter treatment and stent implantation in biliary tract stenoses of benign or malignant nature, including removal of stones in the biliary tract
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Therapy of vascular pathology
- Nuclear medicine
- Single-phase and multi-phase bone scintigraphy of the whole body, including additional SPECT examinations of individual bone areas for the detection of metastases in certain stage of the disease, diagnostics of inflammatory or traumatic bone lesions
- Perfusion and ventilation scintigraphy of the lungs with subsequent SPECT and quantitative assessment of lung function in preoperative diagnostics of lung tumors, as well as after pulmonary embolism
- DAT scanning with SPECT of the brain in the diagnostics of Parkinson's disease
- Preoperative imaging of sentinel lymph nodes (for example, in breast or vulvar tumors)
- Isotope renograms as part of the functional kidney diagnostics with the determination of MAG3 clearance and before planned interventions in renal artery stenoses
- Stress and resting myocardial scintigraphy in diagnostics of coronary heart disease before and after diagnostic coronary angiography, as well as in the planning of bypass grafting
- Thyroid scintigraphy
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 06.1988 - 09.1994 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Lübeck and Mainz.
- 10.1994 Doctoral Degree, University of Mainz.
- 05.1995 - 02.1997 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine, St. Johannis Hospital.
- Since 02.1997 Assistant Physician, Department of Radiology, University Hospital.
- 10.11.1999 Doctoral thesis defense, Department of Gynecology, University of Mainz; 1988 - 1992 work in the St. Joseph Hospital in Wiesbaden.
- 10.16.2002 Board certification in Diagnostic Radiology.
- 04.2003 - 12.2007 Senior Physician in the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology at the University Hospital Mainz.
- Since 01.01.2008 Head of the Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine at the Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur.
Photo of the doctor: (с) Katholischen Klinikum Koblenz - Montabaur
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Nuclear Medicine.
Catholic Clinic Koblenz-Montabaur:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.