Department for Obesity Treatment (586926)
About the department
The Department for Obesity Treatment at the Clinic Limberger offers specially developed effective programs for the treatment of morbid obesity, which is associated with numerous risks to the overall human health, and can also lead to the reduced life expectancy and decreased quality of life. The weight loss programs are provided both on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The standard treatment programs include counseling, an individually selected set of exercises, group psychological therapy, comprehensive diagnostics, and, if necessary, bariatric interventions, such as gastric banding.
All outpatient and inpatient obesity programs have specific aims. The priority task is a complete long-term lifestyle modification. In the first stages of therapy, the patient should lose at least 1 kg per week. After the beginning of the process of losing weight, there is an improvement in the patient’s general health, the symptoms of concomitant diseases regress, the physical condition and psycho-emotional state improves, the quality of life improves, etc. Particularly important attention is paid to maintaining the results obtained and patient's mood for the further adherence to a proper lifestyle.
Obesity treatment is indicated for patients in the following clinical cases:
- Patients who failed to achieve the desired results with outpatient treatment and who need urgent weight loss
- Patients whose overweight has led to the development of somatic complications
- Patients who experience mental disorders due to the overweight (for example, problems with self-esteem, problems with interpersonal relationships and social isolation, depression)
- Patients who need psychological care to change eating behavior and normalize weight (detection of causal factors and behavioral situations, development of strategies to overcome them)
- Patients who require bariatric intervention
- Other clinical cases
It should be noted that all therapeutic measures provided in the department meet the criteria of the German Obesity Society. Morbid obesity is a rather complex pathological condition, which requires an individual approach and interdisciplinary treatment. Therefore, any treatment program is carried out with the participation of nutritionists, psychotherapists, physiotherapists and professional sports trainers. In the treatment of patients with comorbidities, the specialists from other disciplines are also involved, for example, doctors specializing in the treatment of diabetes mellitus, hypertension, orthopedic pathologies, etc.
In addition, an integral part of therapy is a thorough diagnostics before the treatment. The department provides patients with diagnostic techniques, such as electrocardiography, including stress test, various laboratory tests, 24-hour blood pressure monitoring, ultrasound and X-ray monitoring. The detailed diagnostics allows doctors to assess the patient’s general state of health, detect comorbidities, develop optimal tactics for the treatment of overweight without harm to health.
Also, the decisive factor in achieving a successful outcome plays the motivation of the patient. Upon admission to the department, the patient fills out a special form, in which he takes an obligation to comply with all the rules and stages of the treatment. In the case of non-compliance with these rules, the cooperation with the patient stops. The purpose of therapy, treatment plan and diagnoses are discussed in detail with the patient and stated in a written form. The treatment success is confirmed by regular weight control and the assessment of physical condition. The therapy is carried out in small groups of 6-8 people.
The standard inpatient obesity treatment program includes the following fundamental principles:
- Lifestyle modification (group therapy with a psychologist twice a week)
- Change of eating habits and increased physical activities
- Eating behavior analysis
- Mutual motivation of group members, increase of self-esteem and establishment of social contacts
- Self-discipline improvement
- Individual conversations for the treatment of concomitant mental disorders, such as depression and anxiety disorders (if necessary)
- Autogenic trainings
- Medical nutrition therapy (balanced diet with three meals a day (1,200 kcal per day))
- Nutrition courses, in which the patient receives information about the proper foods (4 hours during the entire period of the inpatient program)
- Classes in the training kitchen, which allow to maintain proper diet after returning home (8 hours during the entire period of the inpatient program)
- Training to purchase food (3 hours during the entire period of the inpatient program)
- Nutrition control training
- Individual counseling with a nutritionist (if necessary)
- Physical therapy (development of motivation for constant physical activities in patients)
- Daily group training to develop endurance, at least two and a half hours (the intensity of sports therapy depends on the patient's ability to exercise, previously determined with ergometry), including cycling, hiking, walking, swimming, general gymnastics, aqua gymnastics
- Special training for the back (1 time per week)
- Theoretical classes in physical exercise (1 time per week)
- Pilates, spinal gymnastics, breathing exercises, Nordic walking, fitness, gymnastics with music and outdoor games (optional and with appropriate indications)
- Follow-up care and control of results
The outpatient programs in the department include the specialized M.O.B.I.L.I.S. program for the patients with morbid obesity with a body mass index from 30 to 40 kg/m2 (in collaboration with the University of Freiburg), as well as the BALANCIA weight loss program developed for the people with low overweight (body mass index up to 30 kg/m2). The last program is implemented in collaboration with the ADTV Dance School of Christian Seidel.
Department for Obesity Treatment.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.