Clinic Wolfgarten Bonn
Department of Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology and Mammology (685814)
Specialized in: gynecology, gynecologic oncology, mammology
About the department
The Department of Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology and Mammology at the Clinic Wolfgarten Bonn offers the full range of modern preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic services in the areas of its specialization. The primary focus in clinical practice is on the screening of the female genital cancers and breast cancer with the aim of prevention or early detection of oncology. In addition, the department's specialists have vast clinical experience in the treatment of female genital cancers and breast cancer. The department's medical team has at its disposal many conservative and surgical techniques for the effective treatment of gynecologic diseases of any severity. The work of the department's gynecologists is based on an individual approach to each clinical case. The specialists also devote enough time to personal communication with their patients and support them on their way to recovery. Medical care is provided in accordance with the requirements and protocols of professional gynecologic societies. The department is headed by Dr. med. Matthias Wolfgarten.
The effective treatment is facilitated by the accurate diagnostics with state-of-the-art equipment. The department's diagnostic options include classic mammography, MR mammography, breast ultrasound scanning, ultrasound-guided core needle biopsy, high-resolution gynecological ultrasound scanning, gynecological screening, minimally invasive diagnostic gynecological interventions (for example, hysteroscopy, laparoscopy), etc.
The department most often admits women with genital and breast cancer. During the initial consultation, the attending physician carefully studies a medical history, appoints the necessary diagnostic examinations to confirm or exclude oncology. When conducting diagnostics, the doctors assess hereditary predisposition to cancer, carry out imaging tests, including ultrasound examination, CT, MRI, PET-CT, X-ray and a biopsy (tissue sampling from a suspicious area). If the diagnosis is confirmed, the department's specialists proceed to additional diagnostic tests to determine the type of tumor and elaborate an individual treatment regimen. As a rule, the treatment is based on a surgical resection followed by radiation or chemotherapy. Depending on the stage and localization of the tumor, total or partial removal of the breast and nearby tissues is performed. The department's specialists prefer organ-preserving surgery, but if it is impossible to avoid mastectomy, the patient is offered breast reconstruction options. Whenever required, the patients undergo additional chemotherapy or radiation therapy in order to prevent possible recurrences. The decision on certain therapeutic measures is made during tumor boards, individually for each clinical case. Such an approach allows the doctors to offer patients the most sparing and effective treatment.
The department also uses the innovative MonaLisa Touch® technology, which is a laser technique for correcting age-related changes and congenital pelvic floor abnormalities, as well as for vaginal rejuvenation. This technique is often used in colpoptosis of varying degrees, as well as for postpartum traumas and hyperplasia. The MonaLisa Touch® laser technique has a number of advantages over conventional methods of aesthetic gynecology. The procedure does not involve the use of hormones. The procedure is carried out without the use of anesthesia and takes little time. The result of therapy lasts for a long time, as a rule, at least one and a half years. MonaLisa Touch® has no side effects and contraindications, since all the indicators of the patient's body are taken into account when planning the procedure.
The doctors of the department mostly admit patients with the following pathologies:
- Breast cancer
- Benign breast diseases (for example, fibroadenomas, cysts)
- Benign gynecologic diseases
- Ovarian cysts
- Malignant gynecologic diseases
- Cervical cancer
- Uterine cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Vulvar cancer
- Urinary incontinence
- Other diseases
The department’s range of therapeutic services includes:
- Surgical treatment of breast cancer
- Organ-preserving surgery
- Mastectomy (partial or total removal of one or both mammary glands)
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Axillary dissection
- Other treatments
- Conservative treatment of breast cancer
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy
- Adjuvant chemotherapy
- Palliative chemotherapy
- Antibody therapy
- Hormonal therapy
- Radiation therapy
- Other treatments
- Gynecologic screening for the prevention or early detection of malignant and benign diseases of the female reproductive system
- Conservative and surgical treatment of urinary incontinence
- Minimally invasive gynecologic surgery (for example, hysteroscopy/endoscopic examination of the uterine cavity, laparoscopic abdominal treatment)
- Counseling on contraception, vaccinations (for example, against viruses that can cause cervical cancer), hormone replacement therapy
- Innovative MonaLisa Touch® laser therapy for the effective elimination of symptoms of menopause and vaginal atrophy due to cancer treatment
- Wolfgarten Forum Program (physical therapy, diet therapy, psychological care, etc.) – it is mostly used as an addition to basic treatment for female genital cancers
- Other medical services
- 1995 - 1998 Study of Human Medicine, University of Greifswald, Germany.
- 1998 - 2001 Study of Human Medicine, University of Ulm, Germany.
- 2001 - 2002 Study of Human medicine, University of Bonn, Germany.
- 12.02 Medical License.
- 12.02 Doctoral dissertation,University Hospital Ulm (magna cum laude). Subject: "Cloning and sequencing of GnRH receptors of the human placenta of the first and third trimenons".
- 01.03 - 06.04 Intern, University Hospital Bonn, Department of Gynecology, Germany.
- 06.04 - 01.05 Resident, University Hospital Bonn, Department of Gynecology, Germany.
- 03.05 - 06.06 Resident, Elisabeth-Krankenhaus Essen, Germany.
- 07.06 - 04.08 University Hospital Bonn, Department of Gynecology, Germany.
- 2007 Medical Consultant in Mammology and Coordinator of the Breast Center at the University Hospital Bonn, Germany.
- 04.2008 Board certification in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Since 05.2009 Performing surgery within the scope of mammography screenings.
- 2010 - 2013 Director of the Breast Cancer Task Force, Bonn, Germany.
- Since 03.2010 Chief Resident of the Department of Gynecology at the University Hospital Bonn, Germany.
- 03.2010 - 12.2013 Director of the Interdisciplinary Breast Cancer Task Force of the Center for Integrated Oncology Cologne, Bonn, Germany.
- 03.2010 - 12.2013 Head of the Department of Senology of the certified Breast Center at the University Hospital Bonn, Germany.
- 07.2012 Certified "Senior Mammaoperateur" (Senior Breast Cancer Surgeon) of the German Cancer Society and German Society of Senology.
- 05.2013 Certified in Gynecologic Oncology.
- Since 01.2014, Head of the Department of Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology and Mammology at the Beta Klinik Bonn, Germany.
- At the moment, Head of his own private practice – Clinic Wolfgarten Bonn.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- 2005 German Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- 2008 German Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (DEGUM).
- 2008 German Society of Senology.
- 2008 Working Group at the certified Breast Center of the German Society of Senology.
- 2010 German Cancer Society.
- 2010 Working Group on Gynecologic Oncology.
- 2010 European Academy of Senology (EAoS).
- 2013 Working Group on Gynecologic Endoscopy.
- 2013 German Professional Association of Gynecologists.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Praxis Wolfgarten
Department of Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology and Mammology.
Clinic Wolfgarten Bonn:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.