Comprehensive treatment of ependymoma in Germany
Ependymoma is an oncological illness of central nervous system. The tumor is growing from the ependymal cells. This is a rare disease. Its incidence is 2 cases per million people a year. Possible location of the tumor is central canal of the spinal cord or brain ventricles. Ependymoma can be found at any age, including in children.
The Booking Health portal presents 81 German clinics specializing in ependymoma treatmentShow all clinics
Ependymoma – Diagnostics
Imaging methods are the basis of diagnostics. Computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is prescribed for the patient.
Other diagnostics techniques are:
- Ultrasound is applied to detect the displacement of brain structures
- Electromyography and electroneurogram are used for assessment of movement disorders
- Lumbar puncture is performed for detection of abnormal cells and measurement of intracranial pressure
- Ophthalmoscopy is used to determine the signs of intracranial hypertension and check the eyesight, which can worsen because of the liquor outflow deterioration
Imaging methods can help to find the tumor, though ependymoma must be differentiated from other malformations of central nervous system like astrocytoma and medulloblastoma. Unlike other tumors, ependymoma has cysts and calcifications. Doctors assess tumor location and ability to accumulate the contrasting agent.
Best clinics for the ependymoma diagnostics in Germany:
Charite University Hospital Berlin
University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum
Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Ependymoma – Treatment
The main treatment method is removal of the tumor during the surgery. Surgery can be total or subtotal. Total removal of a tumor helps to achieve much better results in the perspective of patients’ survival. But it is not always possible to remove the tumor. If it has grown into the fourth ventricle of cerebrum or into the spinal cord, surgeon can perform only a subtotal resection of the malformation.
It is very important to undergo surgery in a good hospital (Germany, Switzerland, and other European countries). Surgery results are rated not only by length of patient’s life but also by the quality of his life.
There can be some post-surgery complications after interventions on the central nervous system:
- Damage of the cranial nerves with loss of their functions
- Mutism (absence of speech in clear consciousness)
- Ataxia (coordination disorder)
- Movement disorders
Radiation therapy is effective enough for ependymoma treatment as tumor is highly sensitive to the radiation. Distant radiation therapy added to the surgery helps to lengthen patient’s life for few years.
Radiosurgery is applied to remove the residual tumor or as an alternative to the surgery if the tumor is inoperable. The purpose of radiosurgery is to aim radiation beams at the ependymoma tissues. This high-tech treatment technique helps to direct the beams as precisely as tenths of a millimeter. The better is the hospital equipment, the more precise radiosurgery methods are used there.
To achieve the best possible result of treatment with minimal risks for health a lot of patients go for treatment to Germany, Switzerland, or other countries with a high level of healthcare and developed medical tourism.
Chemotherapy has low effect in the case of ependymoma. Doctors use it only as an additional treatment technique. Chemotherapy has poor effect on the patients’ survival.
Best clinics for the ependymoma treatment in Germany:
University Hospital Ulm
Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Krefeld
University Hospital Duesseldorf
Ependymoma – Rehabilitation
The most modern rehabilitation programs are used in Germany. They are adapted individually for each patient, and are based on the disease stage, age, physical possibilities, and the results of treatment. Different specialists such as: therapists, neurologists, psychologists, rehabilitators, kinesiotherapists, physiotherapists are involved in the rehabilitation process.
The following methods of rehabilitation are used:
- Dosed physical activity
- Training on the simulators and in the pool
- Individual orthoses
- Manual therapy
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Natural factors of the nature (mud, thermal waters, etc.)
- Individual or group therapy with a psychologist
Rehabilitation may include medicamentous support. It is necessary to hold a consultation with the patient about the proper nutrition and the way of life which is important for him in the current situation.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany are designed for 2 weeks. If necessary, they can last much longer. In this country, the patient is provided with qualitative care, accommodation in comfortable rooms and individually selected meals.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany show one of the best results in the world. Most patients successfully restore their working capacity and excellent health there. They remain physically active, return to the full social and family life.
Best clinics for neurological rehabilitation in Germany:
Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic Godeshöhe Bonn
1093help813Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc