Due to the difficulties associated with the organization of treatment in Turkey, Switzerland, South Korea and India, we are not currently processing requests to these regions.
If you are interested in treatment in Germany, please leave a request and our specialists will contact you as soon as possible.
Ovarian cancer is a dangerous malignant cancer with high mortality. Only one third of patients has the tumor identified at stages 1 or 2. Others are diagnosed only at stages 3 or 4. Among gynecologic oncologic disorders, only cervical cancer is more common than this pathology. But the mortality rate takes the first place, because the process is diagnosed at the advanced stages, grows fast and has early metastases.
The Booking Health portal presents 86 German clinics specializing in ovarian cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Diagnostics of Ovarian cancer
Vaginal examination and ultrasound (transvaginal ultrasonography, color doppler sonography) are used for screening diagnostics. Additional methods of imaging are CT and MRI.
The diagnosis is confirmed only after laparoscopy. It allows to take the biopsy material from the tumor formation and to define the prevalence of the oncological process.
Cancer stages are:
- Stage 1 – the tumor is limited to just one ovary
- Stage 2 – the tumor has spread to the pelvic cavity
- Stage 3 – there are regional metastases beyond the pelvic cavity limits
- Stage 4 – distant metastases are present
Laboratory examinations are used to determine ovarian cancer markers. They are little informative for early diagnostics of the disease, but they help to assess the prognosis and effectiveness of the therapy. CA-125 marker has the highest diagnostic value.
Best clinics for the ovarian cancer diagnostics in Germany:
University Hospital Tuebingen
University Hospital Rechts der Isar Munich
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Treatment of Ovarian cancer
Surgery is the basic treatment technique in the case of ovarian cancer. The volume of intervention is determined by the stage of the pathological process, though its prevalence can be fully estimated only during surgery. Laparotomy gives a chance to thoroughly examine an abdominal cavity.
Usually, doctors remove uterine with appendages, lymph nodes and also a small omentum to prevent the development of ascites in the future. If necessary, the volume of the operation is expanded.
The following organs can be removed:
- A fragment of sigmoid colon
- Large omentum
- Small intestine loops
At the beginning stage of the illness and if tumor is highly differentiated, it is possible to perform laparoscopy with removal of one ovary and a fallopian tube. This operation is used if a woman wants to preserve the reproductive function. A biopsy of the second ovary is necessarily performed.
If oncologic process is extensive, then hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy is indicated. During this procedure doctors wash the abdominal cavity with warm chemical solution. It helps to destroy the micrometastases of ovarian cancer in case of peritoneal dissemination.
Additional treatment can be performed such as:
- Radiation therapy
The costs for the treatment in the specialized cancer centers in Germany are as follows:
- The cost of hysterectomy, salpingo-oophorectomy and lymphadenectomy for ovarian cancer with spreading to the pelvic organs and lymph nodes is between 52,100 EUR and 92,700 EUR.
- The cost of chemotherapy for ovarian cancer is between 4,650 EUR and 12,200 EUR.
- The cost of cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC for ovarian cancer is between 51,800 EUR and 92,400 EUR.
New treatment methods are being constantly implemented that increase life expectancy of the patients with ovarian cancer:
Targeted therapy. Medicines that block tumor growth but don’t damage healthy tissues are used. Bevacizumab is used for ovarian cancer treatment.
Other drugs are still undergoing clinical trials, such as:
- Pazopanib – angiogenesis inhibitor that block tumor blood vessels formation which violates its nutrition and slows down growth
- Olaparib – PARP-1 inhibitor
- Vintafolide – drug that is targeted at the folic acid receptors
Immunotherapy. Effectiveness of the monoclonal antibodies to the protein molecules on the surface of cancerous cells (farletuzumab and catumaxomab drugs) is being investigated.
Best clinics for the ovarian cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital Tuebingen
Asklepios Hospital Barmbek Hamburg
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Rehabilitation after treatment of Ovarian cancer
Most patients require rehabilitation after the treatment of complex oncological diseases. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of the postoperative scar, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
0.00Per daySee More
The article was edited by medical expert, board certified Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova. For the treatment of the conditions referred to in the article you must consult a doctor; the information in the article is not intended for self-medication!
The cost of services includes
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc