Treatment of scoliosis (lateral curvature) in Germany
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spine in the frontal plane with the rotation (turning) of the vertebrae. The disease occurs and progresses mainly in children. It is characterized by the appearance of one to three arcs of the curvature, which cannot be corrected by changing the body position. Scoliosis is a very common disease. The frontal curvature of the spine occurs among 0.7-1.5% of people according to the different authors. The most dangerous age is from 9 to 12 years. At this age, the disease can be detected among 5-10% of children. Women are more exposed to this deformation than men. Scoliosis is diagnosed approximately 5 times more often in women.
Scoliosis – Diagnostics
X-rays is the basic examination method that allows to determine the degree of spinal deformity. An X-ray imaging is performed in the following positions:
- Standing in two projections
- Standing with the load on the spine
- With slopes to the right and to the left
Depending on the angle of curvature (defined between the vertical axis of the body and the spine). There are four degrees of scoliosis severity defined, such as:
- Up to 9 degrees
- From 10 to 24 degrees
- From 25 to 39 degrees
- Over 40 degrees
The electromyographic examination is an additional diagnostic measure, aimed at the assessing of the muscular system state.
Best clinics for the scoliosis diagnostics in Germany:
Hanyang University Medical Center Seoul
Werner Wicker Clinic Bad Wildungen
Scoliosis – Treatment
Therapeutic tactics is determined individually for each patient, as it depends on many factors, such as:
- Age of the patient
- The type of scoliosis (congenital or acquired)
- The main etiological factor, if it is known (e.g., rickets, trauma, poliomyelitis, hip dysplasia)
- The degree of scoliosis severity
Conservative treatment includes the following methods:
- Therapeutic exercises
- Wearing a corset
- Lifestyle modification (sleep on the firm bed, going in for sports)
- Health resort treatment
The treatment should only be provided under the guidance of an experienced, highly qualified specialists. Otherwise, it is impossible to achieve the expected result, and even harm the child's health. For example, studies have shown that the spine stretching exercises used in some clinics accelerate the progression of scoliosis in two times.
Surgical treatment is prescribed only to the children before adolescence, according to the following indications:
- Scoliosis of the 3-4 degrees
- Scoliosis of the 2 degree in the case of ineffectiveness of conservative treatment
Various types of surgeries are performed, involving correction of the vertebral bodies, intervertebral discs or tendon-ligamentous apparatus of the spine.
Best clinics for the scoliosis treatment in Germany:
Rambam Health Care Campus Haifa
Werner Wicker Clinic Bad Wildungen
Scoliosis – Rehabilitation
The most modern rehabilitation programs are used in Germany. They are adapted individually for each patient, and are based on the disease stage, age, physical possibilities, and the results of treatment. Different specialists such as: therapists, neurologists, psychologists, rehabilitators, kinesiotherapists, physiotherapists are involved in the rehabilitation process.
The following methods of rehabilitation are used:
- Dosed physical activity
- Training on the simulators and in the pool
- Individual orthoses
- Manual therapy
- Transcranial magnetic stimulation
- Natural factors of the nature (mud, thermal waters, etc.)
- Individual or group therapy with a psychologist
Rehabilitation may include medicamentous support. It is necessary to hold a consultation with the patient about the proper nutrition and the way of life which is important for him in the current situation.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany are designed for 2 weeks. If necessary, they can last much longer. In this country, the patient is provided with qualitative care, accommodation in comfortable rooms and individually selected meals.
Rehabilitation programs in Germany show one of the best results in the world. Most patients successfully restore their working capacity and excellent health there. They remain physically active, return to the full social and family life.
Best clinics for neurological rehabilitation in Germany:
Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic Godeshöhe Bonn
1042.86help762.86Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc