Comprehensive treatment of adrenal cancer in Germany
Adrenal cancer is a rare, but aggressive, malignant oncologic pathology with a tumour arising from the adrenal cortex. People of all ages, including children, have risk of being diagnosed with this illness. The tumour leads to death within several years after the diagnosis. General 5-year survival rate of patients doesn’t exceed 40% even in developed countries.
The Booking Health portal presents 69 German clinics specializing in adrenal cancer treatmentShow all clinics
Adrenal cancer – Diagnostics
Specialists need to assess the symptoms and general state of a patient first. Then lab tests are performed to check hormones blood level. However, these changes cannot confirm the presence of cancer in the patient. The majority of hormone producing adrenal tumours are benign.
The following visualization techniques are used to detect adrenal neoplasm and suspect the oncological process:
- Computed tomography
- Ultrasound scan (ultrasound is usually carried out if there is no possibility to perform a CT)
- MRI with contrast helps to differentiate between adrenal cancer and benign tumours
- PET is used to detect metastases
Fine needle and puncture biopsy of the tumour is rarely prescribed as cancer cells can spread to the other organs. Thus, histology is performed during the surgery. A doctor removes malformation and if it appears to be malignant he expands the volume of the intervention.
Doctors can carry out laparoscopy to evaluate the prevalence of the ongoing process, as well. The procedure is done with the help of a tube and a tiny video camera at the end of it, so a doctor can see the distant metastases, enlarged regional lymph nodes and plan the extent of the future surgery.
Best clinics for the adrenal cancer diagnostics in Germany:
Medipol Mega University Hospital Istanbul
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
University Hospital Duesseldorf
Adrenal cancer – Treatment
Surgical intervention is a common form of therapy. The extent of surgery can differ depending on the size and location of the tumour.
Cancer may grow into the different organs, such as:
- Muscle and fat tissues
- Inferior vena cava
The affected organ is going to be partially or completely removed together with the lymph nodes. In case of large vessels, e.g. the inferior vena cava, the surgeon must form a bypass to preserve blood access to the heart from a systemic circulation.
Laparoscopy is possible during the first two stages of the adrenal cancer. The damaged organ is removed through the small incisions done by an endoscope with the help of miniature surgical instruments, which will be introduced in the body through the thin tube.
Radiation therapy can be added at each stage of adrenal cancer treatment. Radiation is mandatory from the third stage onwards. Distant kind of radiation is applied more often. Brachytherapy, the so-called introduction of intracavitary radioactive substances, is rarely applied. Radiation therapy is frequently administered in the postoperative period to reduce the risk of recurrence.
Chemotherapy has poor impact on the adrenal cancer, though it is administered only in certain cases. It’s used to slow down the tumour growth in case of inoperable cancer.
Best clinics for the adrenal cancer treatment in Germany:
University Hospital Ulm
Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Krefeld
University Hospital of Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich
Adrenal cancer – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for oncological rehabilitation in Germany:
Max Grundig Clinic Buehl
1433.86Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc