Treatment of medulloblastoma (neurogliocytoma) in Germany
Medulloblastoma is a malignant tumour arising from the embryonic cells. As a rule, the tumour is located in the posterior cranial fossa. Medulloblastoma occurs mainly in children. Tumour can form metastases and spread, but, normally, it wouldn’t exceed the central nervous system borders. Causes and risk factors of medulloblastoma have not been found yet.
The Booking Health portal presents 50 German clinics specializing in medulloblastoma (neurogliocytoma) treatmentShow all clinics
Medulloblastoma – Diagnostics
Visualization techniques are the basis of diagnostics. If you really want to receive the correct diagnosis, it is vital to go to a hospital with the best medical equipment and highly-experienced doctors. The specialists have to differentiate medulloblastoma from the other central nervous system tumours according to the external signs.
Doctors in German hospitals successfully deal with this task using the following techniques:
- Computed tomography
- Magnetic-resonance imaging
During differential diagnostics, a test is conducted to detect the presence of metastases by introducing a contrasting agent. Doctors examine both the brain and the spinal cord and prefer MRI for the procedure.
Other techniques, which help in the diagnostics of medulloblastoma:
- Ultrasound examination
- Lumbar puncture
Atypical cells in the cerebrospinal fluid indicate spreading of the oncological process. This is an unfavourable prognostic factor.
Best clinics for the medulloblastoma diagnostics in Germany:
Charite University Hospital Berlin
University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum
University Hospital Duesseldorf
Medulloblastoma – Treatment
Standard medulloblastoma treatment program includes surgical intervention, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Treatment plan is defined according to the risk group. There are two or four such groups depending on the genetic tests using. Various changes in the tumour cells may provide favorable or unfavorable prognosis and help to choose the best medicines for the chemotherapy.
- Surgical treatment is the key method allowing to prolong the patient’s life expectancy considerably. If there is a chance, the tumour is completely removed. The complete removal of the neoplasm greatly improves the prognosis. Subtotal resection is performed if the tumour has grown into the bottom of the fourth ventricle or the brain stem.
- Chemotherapy works well in the case of medulloblastoma. Therefore, patients are prescribed certain medicines or their combinations to prevent further cancer development. Chemotherapy is prescribed after the surgery or instead of it if the tumour is unresectable.
- Radiation therapy is performed during the postoperative period. The dose of radiation is minimised for children under 3 years. In addition to targeted irradiation of possible tumour residues, high-risk patients can be prescribed low-dose radiation of the entire area of the spinal cord and brain in order to destroy possible metastases.
Treatment in Europe, and especially treatment in Germany, is more effective as compared to developing countries one. Thus, the best decision for citizens, who are not satisfied with their local healthcare, is to choose treatment abroad (medical tourism) in the clinics of Germany. Admission of a foreign patient to a leading German hospital is actually possible. Clinics in Munich, Berlin and other major cities have excellent reputation.
Best clinics for the medulloblastoma treatment in Germany:
Charite University Hospital Berlin
Gamma Knife and Radiotherapy Center Krefeld
Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Medulloblastoma – Rehabilitation
After treatment of complex oncological diseases most patients require rehabilitation. It includes the following aspects:
- Prevention of complications that may occur as a result of treatment. It can be pneumonia, lymphostasis, thromboembolic or infectious complications.
- Restoration of general health. The elimination of the consequences after surgeries and chemotherapy is carried out. The functions of internal organs are restored with the help of various medical and rehabilitation measures.
- Restoration of occupation. A person must not just stay alive. He must have physical and intellectual capabilities, which are sufficient for employment.
- Psychological support. First of all, it is required for patients, whose occupational performance was harmed because of the disease. Patients with deterioration of appearance also will benefit from psychological help.
- Restoration of appearance. If necessary, you can use surgical and other methods in Germany to restore appearance defects caused by cancer. For example, to carry out the reconstruction of the breast.
- Social and domestic rehabilitation. A person with reduced workability is trained to act in the society and perform everyday tasks in new conditions.
In German clinics, rehabilitation is carried out in a comprehensive manner. The patients are provided with qualitative care here. Doctors' monitoring and conservative treatment allow to avoid complications, which usually happen after treatment of oncological diseases. Psychotherapy, physiotherapy and physical therapy are actively used in Germany.
Specialists in different medical spheres take part in the rehabilitation process. These are massage therapists, speech therapists, specialists in physiotherapy exercises, physiotherapists. Social and occupational therapy is carried out, as well. If necessary, people are taught how to eat properly, take care of a colostomy or urostomy, etc.
In Germany, rehabilitation is carried out with the maximum level of comfort for the patient. A person feels the results quite quickly and it improves his motivation and promotes further recovery.
Best clinics for rehabilitation in Germany:
Neurological Rehabilitation Clinic Godeshöhe Bonn
1093help813Per daySee More
Author: Dr. Nadezhda Ivanisova
Here you can find the cost of treatment for this disease at the German University Hospitals. Leave a request and we will provide a free consultation with a doctor and will start organizing the whole treatment process.
The program includes the following:
- Issuing of an invitation for getting a visa for treatment as quick as possible
- Fixing an appointment at a time convenient for you
- Preliminary organization of a comprehensive examination and discussion of the forthcoming treatment plan
- Arranging transfer from the airport to the hospital and back to the airport
- Provision of interpreting services and services of a personal medical coordinator
- If necessary, assistance in the organization of further surgical treatment
- Provision of a medical insurance against treatment complications covering up to 200,000 euro
- Preparation and translation of medical records and recommendations from the hospital
- Assistance in the subsequent communication with your attending physician, including consultations on repeated X-ray images through the unique medical document management system E-doc