Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation (534990)
Specialized in: pediatric hematology, bone marrow transplantation
About the department
The Department of Pediatric Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment of blood diseases in children of different age groups. The priority clinical focus is bone marrow transplantation in children. In this field, the department is a leader at the national and international levels. The multidisciplinary team of the department is professionally trained to work with children. Much attention is paid to the psychological counseling of young patients and their parents. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Müge Gökçe.
The department has 17 beds equipped with high-tech equipment for intensive care and round-the-clock monitoring of the patient's condition. In addition, the HEPA air purification system is installed in each room, which nowadays is the best way to protect against airborne infections.
The department specializes in all types of bone marrow transplantations in children:
- Autologous transplantation (transplantation of patient’s own stem cells). The procedure is performed using a central venous catheter and resembles a blood transfusion. The stem cells are transferred into the patient’s blood and bone marrow. During this time, the patient is isolated and receives antibiotics in order to prevent the development of infection. To control the levels of erythrocytes, leukocytes, and platelets, the patient makes a blood test every day. If necessary, blood transfusion may be carried out. Bone marrow transplantation may result in the development of life-threatening infections, so the patient will be prescribed a prophylactic course of antibiotic therapy for several months. This type of transplantation is effective in diseases, such as Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas, acute lymphoblastic and chronic lymphocytic leukemia, multiple myeloma and aplastic anemia. The procedure is also used to restore bone marrow after radiation and/or chemotherapy, which were carried out for other cancers.
- Allogeneic transplantation (from related and unrelated donors). Before such a transplantation, the patient should undergo conditioning, including the high-dose chemotherapy and radiation therapy. This procedures are necessary for the effective destruction of malignant cells throughout the body, as well as for the suppression of the patient's immunity with the aim of further safe engraftment of donor stem cells. As a rule, donor stem cells should not be frozen, because they are introduced into the patient's body on the day of sampling. The procedure of allogeneic transplantation is similar to blood transfusion, while the time it takes depends on the amount of gathered material. The engraftment of donor bone marrow usually occurs 10 - 14 days after stem cell administration. During these days, the patient will stay in complete isolation and receive antibiotics to prevent the development of infections, and also will need blood transfusions. After a successful transplantation, donor bone marrow begins to function and produce a sufficient number of erythrocytes, leukocytes and platelets appearing in the bloodstream.
The service range of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following hematological diseases in children:
- Benign blood diseases, including anemia and reactive changes (secondary hematological disorders caused by other diseases)
- Hereditary blood diseases
- Sickle cell anemia
- Aplastic syndrome in children (severe disease characterized by an impairment of all hematopoietic lineages in the bone marrow)
- Diseases of the blood coagulation system (coagulopathies)
- Malignant blood diseases (acute and chronic leukemia)
- Solid tumors in children, which require high doses of chemotherapy followed by bone marrow transplantation
- Other pathologies and treatment methods
Education and Professional Experience
- 1994 - 2001 Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University Cerrahpaşa.
- 2001 -2006 Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University, Residency, Department of Pediatrics.
- 2009 - 2012 Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Pediatric Hematology.
- October, 2013 Associate Professorship, Medical Faculty, Hacettepe University.
- 2012 - 2014 State Service Obligant, Kanuni Sultan Süleyman Training and Research Hospital.
- Turkish Society of Hematology.
- Turkish Society of Pediatric Hematology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Private Gaziosmanpasa Hospital
Department of Pediatric Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation.
Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.