Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University
Department of Infectology (535110)
Specialized in: infectology
About the department
The Department of Infectology at the Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University offers an accurate diagnostics, inpatient and outpatient treatment of all infectious diseases. Also, in order to prevent infectious diseases, the department operates the Infection Control Committee. The scope of tasks of the department's doctors includes adult vaccination, counseling and preventive vaccination in order to prevent tropical infections, as well as the treatment of sexually transmitted diseases. The Chief Physician of the department is Assoc. Prof. Dr. med. Kıvanç Şerefhanoğlu.
The department offers many diagnostic methods, which may differ depending on the expected pathogen and on the disease manifestations. However, the examinations, such as immunological, bacteriological tests and polymerase chain reaction (PCR) technique are common for all infections. Obviously, if necessary, the patient may be prescribed other diagnostic techniques. For example, in pulmonary tuberculosis, radiography, spiral computed tomography of the lungs and sputum examination are of crucial importance, while in chronic hematogenous infections, the doctors determine a viral load (quantitative analysis).
The therapeutic options of the department include various types of drug therapy, for example, treatment with antibiotics, antiviral drugs, immunomodulators, antifungal drugs, etc. In addition, the doctors of the department pay key attention to the prevention of infectious diseases, because nowadays there are many highly effective vaccines, which help the body to resist various infections.
The department provides comprehensive treatment and prevention of the following diseases:
- Respiratory infections
- Sore throat
- Bronchitis and pneumonia
- Hematogenous infections (transmitted through blood or lymph)
- HIV infection and AIDS
- Viral hepatitis B and C
- Intestinal infections
- Hepatitis A
- Infections transmitted by contact through the skin or mucous membranes, including sexually transmitted diseases
- Infection with diseases transmitted by parasites (ticks, lice, mosquitoes)
- Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever
- Other infectious diseases
Education and Professional Experience
- 1991 - 1998 Faculty of Medicine, Marmara University.
- 1998 - 2003 Medical Specialization, Inönü University.
- 2003 - 2007 Doctor of Medicine, Başkent University.
- 2007 Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts General Hospital, Department of Infectology.
- 2007 - 2013 Associate Professor, Başkent University.
- 2013- 2015 Associate Professor, Istanbul Florence Nightingale Hospital.
- 2015 Associate Professor, Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University.
- Infections in immunosuppressed patients.
- Chronic hepatitis B/C.
- HIV infection.
- Infections common for the elderly.
- Diabetic foot infections.
- Soft tissue infections.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Private Gaziosmanpasa Hospital
Department of Infectology.
Gaziosmanpasa Hospital of Yeniyuzyil University:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.