Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation (229735)
Specialized in: hematology, hemostaseology, oncology, stem cell transplantation
About the department
The Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in these fields. It provides the accurate diagnostics and comprehensive treatment of solid tumors, systemic oncological diseases, benign pathologies of the hematopoietic system and bleeding disorders. A common goal of the department's specialists is to provide optimal medical care at the highest level of scientific advances for patients with serious, often life-threatening diseases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Arnold Ganser.
A big competent team, consisting of doctors, psychologists, scientists and nursing personnel, medical and technical service specialists, takes care of the patients’ health and well-being. There is ongoing close interdisciplinary cooperation with other diagnostic and therapeutic disciplines and family doctors.
In addition, the department is engaged in active research, it conducts many clinical and fundamental studies aimed at developing new treatment methods that could prolong patients’ life and improve its quality. The department is also a member of many national and international research societies.
The range of medical services of the department includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Acute and chronic leukemia
- Stem cell transplantation
- Clinical trials
- Other treatments
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (malignant bone marrow disease)
- Symptomatic therapy with blood transfusion
- Stem cell transplantation
- Other options
- Rare blood diseases (for example, hypereosinophilic syndrome, hemophagocytic syndrome)
- Benign blood diseases (for example, anemia)
- Solid tumors
- Bleeding disorders
- Haemophilia A and B
- Von Willebrand disease
- Bleeding during surgery or other procedures (unclear genesis)
- Bleeding disorders during pregnancy
- Other pathological conditions
- The full range of laboratory tests for the detection of blood diseases (in-house laboratory)
- Palliative care
- Psycho-oncological care
- Clinical trials (at the national and international level)
- Other services
- 1972 - 1979 Study of Medicine in Aachen, Glasgow, Baltimore, Denver. Scholarship (Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes), medical examination and admission to medical practice (RWTU Aachen).
- 1979 Doctor of Medicine (RWTU Aachen).
- 1990 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 1992 Additional qualification in Hematology and Internal Oncology.
- 2007 Additional training in Hemostaseology.
- 1991 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt. Subject: "Changes in the system of hematopoietic stem cells in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS)".
- 1988 Artur Pappenheim Prize, German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- 1990 Dr. Paul und Cilli Weil Prize, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 1979 - 1981 Head of the Medical Service in the Central Bundeswehr Hospital Koblenz, Department of Surgery.
- 1981 - 1982 Fellow of the Department of Clinical Physiology, University of Ulm (Prof. Dr. med. T. Fliedner).
- 1982 - 1984 Fellow of the Department of Internal Medicine III, University Hospital Ulm ((Prof. Dr. med. H. Heimpel).
- 1984 - 1990 Fellow of the Department of Hematology (Prof. Dr. med. D. Hoelzer) and special training at the University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1991 - 1995 Senior Physician at the Center for Internal Medicine, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Since 10.2007 Head of the Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation at the Hannover Medical School.
- American Society of Hematology.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Working Group on Internal Oncology.
- German Working Group on Gene Therapy.
- German Working Group on Bone Marrow and Blood Stem Cell Transplantation.
- German Society of Hematology and Oncology.
- German Society of Internal Medicine.
- German Society of Naturalists and Physicians.
- German Society of Oncology.
- European Association of Hematology.
- European Leukemia Net.
- European Working Group on the Transfer of Human Genes and Gene Therapy.
- Society for the Study of Thrombosis and Hemostasis.
- International Association for Comparative Leukemia Research.
- International Society for Experimental Hematology.
- Network of the Centers of Excellence for Acute and Chronic Leukemia.
- South German Group on the Treatment of Hemoblastosis.
- American Society of Gene Therapy.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Hematology, Hemostaseology, Oncology and Stem Cell Transplantation.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.