Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Cardiology and Angiology (229737)
Specialized in: cardiology, angiology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in these fields. The main areas of specialization include the treatment of acute myocardial infarction, chronic heart failure, atherosclerosis and heart rhythm disorders. The department is focused on providing individualized, first-class medical care by applying modern treatment methods, innovative equipment and employing the best doctors with rich clinical experience. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Johann Bauersachs.
The department offers extensive options in the field of interventional cardiology. To this end, it has three state-of-the-art Catheter Laboratories, including a hybrid Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, which has the cutting-edge imaging systems, and a laboratory that is mainly used for electrophysiological interventions.
In the field of angiology, the department treats patients with diseases of the blood and lymphatic vessels. Of particular interest is the treatment of peripheral artery diseases. The medical team of the department provides the whole spectrum of non-invasive diagnostics of circulatory disorders (dopplerography, transcranial color Doppler, venous occlusion plethysmography, light reflection rheography, capillary microscopy, percutaneous measurement of oxygen tension, etc.).
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Interventional cardiology
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the coronary vessels and heart valves
- All types of percutaneous interventions for coronary artery stenosis and stenting (including vascular imaging, rotablation, implantation of bioresorbable stents)
- Treatment of structural heart diseases (closure of the persistent foramen ovale, atrial septal defect, transfemoral replacement of the aortic valve, treatment of mitral valve pathologies with the help of MitraClip technique)
- Emergency care in myocardial infarction and cardiogenic shock, including the implantation of heart support systems (microaxial pump)
- Closure of the atrial appendage in atrial fibrillation for stroke prevention
- Other services
- Diagnostics and treatment of heart rhythm disorders (arrhythmia)
- Defibrillator implantation
- Pacemaker implantation
- Follow-up care after defibrillator and pacemaker implantation
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy
- Occluder implantation
- Electrophysiological studies
- 24-hour ECG monitoring
- Stress ECG
- Other services
- Intensive care and emergency medical care (for example, in cardiac arrest)
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the blood and lymphatic vessels
- Balloon dilatation
- Other treatments
- Non-invasive imaging techniques
- Magnetic resonance imaging
- Other methods
- 1993 Doctoral thesis defense (magna cum laude).
- 1993 - 1995 Intern, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University Hospital Frankfurt.
- 1996 - 1999 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Mannheim.
- 1999 - 2003 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 1999 - 2004 Scientific Secretary of the SFB 355.
- 2000 Medical Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 2002 Specialization in Cardiology.
- 2003 - 2010 Senior Physician of the Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2006 - 2010 Scientific Secretary of the SFB 688.
- 2001 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Venia Legendi and appointed as PD.
- 2008 - 2010 Leading Senior Physician of the Department of Cardiology, University Hospital Würzburg.
- 2008 Appointed as a Visiting Professor.
- 2008 Additional qualification in Internal Intensive Care.
- 2010 Invitation to the post of W3 Professor (Cardiology, Angiology), Giessen University.
- Since 2010 W3 Professor and Head of the Department of Cardiology and Angiology at the Hannover Medical School.
Awards and Prizes
- 2001 Oskar Lapp Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2004 Albert Fraenkel Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- 2006 Parmley Award of the American College of Cardiology.
- 2007 Encouragement Prize of the Foundation for Patients with Diabetes Mellitus and Cardiac Pathology.
- 2012 Bernard and Joan Marshall Distinguished Investigator Award, British Society for Cardiovascular Research.
- 2018 Paul Morawitz Prize of the German Society of Cardiology.
- Fellow of the American Heart Association.
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology.
- Member of the German Society for the Study of Cardiovascular Diseases.
- Member of the German Society of Internal Medicine.
- Member of numerous Working Groups and Editorial Boards.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Cardiology and Angiology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.