Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery (229741)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric neurosurgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in this medical field. It provides a comprehensive treatment of diseases of the nervous system with the use of the most advanced microneurosurgical, endoscopic, stereotactic and invasive techniques. The areas of specialization include functional neurosurgery, skull base surgery, spinal surgery, pediatric neurosurgery and surgery to treat traumatic brain injuries. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Joachim Krauss.
One of the priories is the treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the brain and spinal cord. The goal of surgical treatment is the maximally complete and sparing removal of tumors. Modern computerized operations with intraoperative monitoring methods allow specialists of the department to perform tumor resections with the preservation of vital functions, as well as in the eloquent cortex. In addition to microsurgical techniques for the removal of brain tumors, the department offers many minimally invasive techniques – neuroendoscopy, stereotaxy, fluorescence-guided tumor resection and biopsy under the control of neuronavigation systems. To provide the best treatment results, there is maintained close cooperation with other departments and centers of the hospital.
The medical team of the department consists of four senior doctors, two highly specialized experts, 18 assistant doctors and numerous nursing staff. The department has at its arsenal four operating rooms equipped with the state-of-the-art medical devices. In addition, the department offers special beds for children with neurosurgical diseases. It annually treats about 2,200 inpatients and more than 4,600 outpatients, performs more than 2,000 surgical procedures.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Surgical oncology (treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the central nervous system)
- Microsurgical techniques
- Minimally invasive interventions
- Fluorescence-guided tumor resection
- Biopsy under the control of neuronavigation systems
- Other treatments
- Spinal surgery
- Treatment of herniated intervertebral discs (for example, lumbar, cervical herniated intervertebral discs)
- Treatment of degenerative changes in the bone tissue
- Treatment of spinal canal neoplasms
- Treatment of other spinal diseases
- Functional neurosurgery
- Deep brain stimulation (for example, to treat motor disorders, Parkinson's disease, dystonia, severe tremor)
- Treatment of chronic neuralgia (ablative and stimulating methods, for example, stimulation of the spinal cord, ganglia, peripheral nerves)
- Stereotactic surgery
- Other services
- Vascular surgery (vascular diseases of the brain and spinal cord)
- Treatment of cerebral aneurysms
- Treatment of arteriovenous malformations
- Treatment of arteriovenous fistulas
- Treatment of cavernomas
- Treatment of cerebral haemorrhages
- Treatment of other vascular diseases
- Neurosurgical reconstructive surgery (correction of congenital or acquired bone defects of the skull)
- Treatment of hydrocephalus
- Bypass surgery
- Endoscopic interventions
- Pediatric neurosurgery
- Treatment of benign and malignant tumors of the brain and spinal cord
- Treatment of cerebral hemorrhages
- Treatment of hydrocephalus
- Treatment of vascular malformations
- Treatment of congenital malformations and developmental disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system
- Other services
- Neurosurgical treatment of pain syndrome
- Drug Injections and infiltrations
- Nerve root blockade
- Facet joint blockade and denervation
- Stimulation methods (for example, nerve stimulation, spinal cord stimulation)
- Deep brain stimulation
- Cerebral cortex stimulation
- Treatment of trigeminal neuralgia
- Decompression interventions
- Other treatments
- Skull base surgery
- Treatment of tumors
- Treatment of fractures of the skull base bones
- Treatment of vascular diseases
- Treatment with the placement of the medical pumps
- Other medical services
- 1977 - 1985 Study of Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany.
- 1985 Admission to medical practice.
- 1985 Thesis defense (magna cum laude).
- 1985 - 1987 Neurological Clinic Elzach.
- 1988 - 1989 Department of Stereotactic and Neuromuscular Medicine, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1989 - 1993 Department of General Neurosurgery, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
Recognition as a Medical Specialist and Additional Qualifications
- 1993 Nuerosurgeon.
- 1995 Sports medicine.
- 1995 Rehabilitation medicine.
- 1995 Special neurosurgical intensive medicine.
- 1998 Neurologist.
- 1999 Special pain therapy.
- 1994 Doctoral thesis "To the issue of pathological physiology and diagnostics of normotensive hydrocephalus".
- 2000 Professorship at the Ruprecht Karls Heidelberg University, Faculty of Clinical Medicine, Mannheim.
- 2001 Visiting Professor, Ruprecht Karls Heidelberg University.
- 1993 - 1995 Senior Physician in the Department of General Neurosurgery, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1995 - 1997 Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA.
- 1997 - 1998 Leading Senior Physician and Head of Functional Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Bern, Switzerland.
- 1998 - 1999 Deputy Chief Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Bern, Switzerland.
- 1999 - 2005 Deputy Chief Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Mannheim.
- Since 2005, Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hannover Medical School.
- 1995 - 2000 PD for Neurosurgery, Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg.
- 1997 - 1998 Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA.
- 1998 - 2004 Adjunct Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, USA.
- 2000 - 2001 PD for Neurosurgery, Ruprecht Karls Heidelberg University.
- 2001 -2005 Visiting Professor, Ruprecht Karls Heidelberg University, Germany.
- Since 2005, University Professor (W3), Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery, Hannover Medical School, Germany.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Neurosurgery.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.