Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Neurology (229743)
Specialized in: neurology
The Department of Neurology at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in this field. The department’s scope of tasks includes the diagnostics and treatment of diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system. The department has 87 beds, 15 of which are intended for patients of the certified Stroke Unit, which is functioning at the medical facility. Medical care is provided by a competent team of professionals with a huge clinical experience and unique knowledge in the field of their specialization. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Martin Stangel.
One of the most common neurological diseases is a stroke. To provide the most effective treatment of this pathology, the department runs an advanced Stroke Unit, which is the certified interregional Stroke Center. It annually helps to more than 800 patients with acute stroke. Within the frameworks of the Stroke Unit, there is provides a comprehensive treatment, including thrombolytic therapy, mechanical stent implantation to restore blood supply to the affected brain areas (recanalization) and other techniques. It should be noted that the department shows excellent results of stroke treatment and high survival rate, therefore enjoys a good reputation at both national and international levels.
Thanks to close cooperation with the Institute of Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology, Departments of Cardiology, Angiology and Neurosurgery, here is ensured a comprehensive patient care even in the most severe pathologies.
In addition, the specialists of the department are engaged in active research on studying and treating stroke, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, neuromuscular diseases, motor disorders and other neurological disorders. Thus, the department can integrate the very latest clinical developments, contributing to the restoration of patients' health and improvement of their quality of life.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Diagnosis and treatment of cerebrovascular diseases (for example, stroke)
- Diagnosis and treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuromuscular diseases
- Diagnosis and treatment of neuroimmunological diseases (for example, multiple sclerosis immune neuropathies, myasthenia gravis)
- Diagnosis and treatment of motor disorders (for example, Parkinson's disease)
- Treatment of neurological complications after organ transplantation and encephalopathy in HCV
- Cerebrospinal fluid analysis (within the frameworks of the specialized laboratory)
- Other services
- Hannover, Germany