Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (229745)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at Hannover Medical School (MHH)
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with pathologies in the face, jaw, oral cavity, head and neck. The priority focuses of the medical institution's work include dental interventions, in particular, various techniques for augmenting the jaw bone tissue, implantology, treatment of maxillofacial injuries, benign and malignant neoplasms, maxillofacial inflammatory pathologies, correction of the cleft palate and other congenital and acquired facial defects. The department is a world leader in the field of orbital reconstructive surgery. A feature of the medical facility is the availability of the advanced computer equipment for planning treatment and performing operations with the highest accuracy and efficiency. Thus, the department has everything necessary to achieve an excellent therapeutic result, starting from modern operating rooms to experienced specialists. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Nils-Claudius Gellrich.
The department's surgeons have invaluable experience in the treatment of head and neck malignancies. One of the most common diagnoses is oral squamous cell carcinoma. This type of cancer is mostly diagnosed at the advanced stages, which makes its treatment a rather difficult task. To detect the tumor and determine the stage of the pathology, the doctors conduct general clinical examination, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound examination, biopsy. If necessary, positron emission tomography can also be carried out. The basis of therapy is the surgical removal of the tumor, including radical resection. All therapeutic procedures meet the guidelines of the German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Maxillofacial Tumors (DÖSAK).
Thanks to the use of state-of-the-art surgical techniques, the doctors achieve excellent functional results and provide the patient with a good aesthetic appearance. In advanced types of cancer, surgery can often be supplemented by radiation therapy and chemotherapy. The decision on a multimodal approach to treatment is made at regular tumor boards individually for each patient. Once treatment is completed, the patient will be prescribed a specially adapted follow-up program. It aims to prevent the disease recurrence.
The department is also proud of its outstanding achievements in reconstructive orbital surgery. Such interventions are performed in the case of orbital injuries and fractures, which can be complicated by eye displacement and negative effect on vision. The reconstructive eye surgeries are complex procedures, which require careful and accurate planning. State-of-the-art equipment for computed tomography and digital volume tomography is used for this purpose. When performing surgical treatment, the optimal result is achieved thanks to the use of special titanium implants. There are also alternative methods, which can be applied depending on the patient’s specific clinical situation.
In collaboration with other specialized departments, the experts perform interventions to correct cleft lip, jaw and palate in children. The department pays special attention to monitoring of changes in the position of teeth and defects caused by bone deficiency in the cleft area. The surgical treatment is followed by regular interdisciplinary consultations for the child and his parents, during which the specialists assess the development of the child and prescribe therapeutic measures, if necessary.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin tumors on the face and head
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Dental implantation
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Tooth extraction
- Osteotomy of retained and displaced teeth
- Autografting of teeth primordia
- Exposure of the retained teeth for subsequent orthodontic placement in the dental arch
- Root apex resection
- Cyst removal
- Treatment of tooth injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of facial skull injuries
- Orbital surgery
- Dysgnathia surgery (corrective osteotomy)
- Surgical repair of cleft lip, jaw and palate in children
- Facial reconstructive surgery
- Tissue transplantation
- Temporomandibular joint surgery
- Computer-assisted surgery and navigation surgery
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Nils-Claudius Gellrich
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1982 - 1989 Study of Dentistry and Human Medicine at the Christian Albrecht University of Kiel.
- 1983 - 1989 Scholarship Holder of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation.
- 1991 Doctoral thesis defense in Human Medicine, Christian Albrecht University of Kiel.
- 1992 Doctoral thesis defense in Dentistry, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 06.1996 Habilitation in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 07.2001 Extraordinary Professorship, Albert Ludwig University of Freiburg.
- 1990 - 1993 Preparation for Board Certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 1994 Board Certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 1996 Additional Qualification in Plastic Surgery.
- 1996 - 1997 Senior Physician of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Bochum.
- 1997 - 2004 Senior Physician and Deputy Chief Physician of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the University Hospital Freiburg.
- 2001 Additional Qualifications in Dentistry and Dental Surgery.
- 01.2004 Invitation to the Position of C4 Professor in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt.
- 10.2004 Invitation to the Position of Professor W3 and Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hanover Medical School.
- 2009 Senior Army Reserve Physician of the Federal Armed Forces of Germany.
- 2012 Invitation to the Position of Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zurich.
- 2019 Senior Army Reserve Physician of the Federal Armed Forces of Germany.
Professional Activities Abroad
- Clinical training in Bangor, North Wales, UK.
- Clinical training in Montgomery and Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
- Clinical training in Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1994 - 1995 Research Grant of the Department of Neurophysiology, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
- 1995 - 1998 Applicant and Principal Investigator for Project GE 820/6-1 Research Project GRF, neuroprotection study in a model of traumatic optic nerve injury.
- 2003 - 2005 GRF Project GE 820/6-1, Applicant and Principal Investigator.
- 2005 Volkswagen Foundation Research Grant (Volkswagen-Stiftung).
- 2005 GRF Project Ru 1224-1/1, Co-Applicant, Tissue Engineering Research.
- 2007 AO-F-07-58K Research Grant, Co-Applicant.
- Other areas of activity.
- Complex reconstructive approach in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Tissue transplantation and regeneration.
- Tissue engineering.
- Individual implants.
- Computer-assisted planning and surgery.
- Multimodal imaging analysis.
- Intraoperative navigation.
- Neuroprotection and regeneration.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Consultant for the German Ministry of Defense in the Department of Military Medicine.
- German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Association of German Specialists in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- German Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (President 2012).
- German Society for Skull Base Surgery (President).
- German Society of Dentistry.
- Working Group on Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery of the German Society of Dentists.
- German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Head and Neck Tumors.
- Member and Representative for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Bundeswehr Military Medical Advisory Council.
- Association of Professors in Dentistry.
- European Association for Cranio-Maxillo-Facial Surgery.
- International Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- German Society for Computer and Robotic Assisted Surgery.
- 2000 Hans Pichler Award of the Austrian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2003 Poster Award of the German Society of Skull Base Surgery.
- 2004 DÖSAK Award 2004 (German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Head and Neck Tumors).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.