Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery (229745)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric oral, maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in this field. The priority focuses of the medical facility include dental interventions, particularly various techniques of bone augmentation in the jaw area, implantology, treatment of maxillofacial injuries, maxillofacial benign and malignant neoplasms, inflammatory pathologies, correction of the cleft palate and other congenital and acquired facial defects. The department is a world leader in reconstructive orbital surgery. The department's special feature is the availability of the cutting-edge computer equipment for treatment planning and performance of the operations with the highest accuracy and efficiency. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Nils-Claudius Gellrich.
The department's surgeons have invaluable experience in the treatment of head and neck malignancies. One of the most common diagnoses is oral squamous cell carcinoma. This type of cancer is mostly diagnosed at the advanced stages, which makes its treatment a rather difficult task. To detect the tumor and determine the stage of the pathology, the doctors conduct general clinical examination, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound examination, biopsy. If necessary, positron emission tomography can also be carried out. The basis of therapy is the surgical removal of the tumor, including radical resection. All therapeutic procedures meet the guidelines of the German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Maxillofacial Tumors (DÖSAK).
Thanks to the use of state-of-the-art surgical techniques, the doctors achieve excellent functional results and provide the patient with a good aesthetic appearance. In advanced types of cancer, surgery can often be often supplemented by radiation therapy and chemotherapy. The decision on a multimodal approach to treatment is made at regular tumor boards individually for each patient. Once treatment is completed, the patient will be prescribed a specially adapted follow-up program. It aims to prevent the disease recurrence.
The department is also proud of its outstanding achievements in reconstructive orbital surgery. Such interventions are performed in the case of orbital injuries and fractures, which can be complicated by eye displacement and negative effect on vision. The reconstructive eye surgeries are complex procedures, which require careful and accurate planning. The state-of-art equipment for computed tomography and digital volume tomography is used for this purpose. When performing surgical treatment, the optimal result is achieved thanks to the use of special titanium implants. There are also alternative methods, which can be applied depending on the patient’s specific clinical situation.
In collaboration with other specialized departments, the specialists perform interventions to correct cleft lip, jaw and palate in children. The department pays special attention to monitoring of changes in the position of teeth and defects caused by bone deficiency in the cleft area. The surgical treatment is followed by regular interdisciplinary consultations for the child and his parents, during which the specialists assess the development of the child and prescribe therapeutic measures, if necessary.
The department's clinical focuses include:
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin tumors on the face and head
- Installation of dental implants
- Dentoalveolar surgery
- Tooth extraction
- Osteotomy of retained and displaced teeth
- Autografting of teeth primordia
- Exposure of the retained teeth for subsequent orthodontic placement in the dental arch
- Root apex resection
- Cyst removal
- Tooth injuries
- Diagnostics and treatment of facial skull injuries
- Orbital surgery
- Dysgnathia surgery
- Surgical repair of cleft lip, jaw and palate in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of head and neck tumors
- Facial reconstructive surgery
- Tissue transplantation
- Temporomandibular joint surgery
- Computer-assisted surgery and navigation surgery
- Imaging diagnostics of the teeth and oral cavity
- Panoramic X-ray
- Examination of the inner surface of the oral cavity
- Skull X-ray
- Ultrasound scans
- Digital volume tomography
- Other medical services
- Since 1982 Studies in Dentistry and Medicine at Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany.
- 1983 - 1989 Scholarship of the German National Scholarship Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes).
- 1988 Admission to dental practice.
- 1991 Admission to medical practice.
Work Experience Abroad
- Clinical training in Bangor, North Wales, Great Britain.
- Clinical training in Montgomery and Birmingham, Alabama, USA.
- Clinical training in Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1990 - 1993 Specialist training in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
- 01.1994 Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 01.1996 - 03.1997 Senior Physician in the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
- 07.1996 Qualification in Regional Plastic Surgery.
- 04.1997 - 09.2004 Associate Professor and Deputy Head of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany.
- 2001 Qualification as Oral Surgeon.
- Since 10.2004 Chairman of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany.
- 1991 Degree in Medicine.
- 1992 Degree in Dentistry.
- 1994 - 1995 Research Grant in the Department of Neurophysiology at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
- 1995 - 1998 DFG Research Project 820-2/1, Applicant & Principal Investigator, in the research field of neuroprotection using the model of traumatic optic nerve lesions.
- 06.1996 Habilitation in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 07.2001 Appointment as Associate Professor at the Albert Ludwigs University of Freiburg, Germany.
- 2003 - 2005 DFG Project GE 820/6-1, Applicant & Principal Investigator.
- 01.2004 Appointment for the Chairman Position at the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany.
- 2005 Research grant by "Volkswagen-Stiftung" (Volkswagen Fund).
- 2005 DFG Project Ru 1224-1/1, Co-Applicant in the research field of Tissue Engineering.
- 2007 AO Research Grant F-07-58K, Co-Applicant.
- Other activities.
Key Research Interests
- Complex reconstructive strategies in CMF-surgery.
- Tissue transplantation and regeneration.
- Tissue engineering.
- Patient-specific implants.
- Computer-assisted planning and surgery.
- Multimodal imaging analysis.
- Intraoperative navigation.
- Neuroprotection and -regeneration.
- Consultant to the German Ministry of Defense in the Board of Military Medicine.
- German Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Association of German Medical Specialists for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- German Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2012 President).
- German Skull Base Society (President).
- German Society of Odontology.
- Working Group on Jaw Surgery of the German Society of Odontology.
- German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Head and Neck Tumors.
- Member and Representative for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Military Medical Advisory Council of the Bundeswehr.
- Association of Professors for Odontology.
- European Association for Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery.
- International Association for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- German Society for Computer- and Robot-Assisted Surgery.
- 2000 Hans Pichler Award of the Austrian Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 2003 Poster Award of the German Skull Base Society.
- 2004 DÖSAK Award 2004 (German-Austrian-Swiss Working Group on Head and Neck Tumors).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Oral, Maxillofacial Surgery.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.