Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology, Venereology (229749)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric dermatology, allergology, venereology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology, Venereology at the Hannover Medical School offers the widest options for the diagnostics and treatment of patients with skin diseases, allergic reactions and sexually transmitted diseases. Of particular interest is the treatment of inflammatory and infectious skin lesions, autoimmune diseases, skin manifestations of allergic reactions and skin malignancies. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Kapp.
The department has the status of one of the largest specialized medical facilities of this kind in Germany. It provides its medical services to more than 2,800 inpatients and about 17,000 outpatients annually.
One of the key activities is the conservative and surgical treatment of skin tumors within the specialized center, which has been operating in the department since 2005. Thus, the patients receive medical care from the highly specialized experts. They develop optimal treatment tactics for each clinical case in accordance with the current guidelines of professional societies.
The department's doctors have in their arsenal many effective provocative tests for the detection of allergies to food, drugs, insect venom, etc. To treat such allergic reactions, the doctors use special immunotherapy. In addition, the department performs tests to detect allergies to implants and dental materials, as well as tests to diagnose contact dermatitis.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Skin cancer screening
- Age spot monitoring
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin tumors (conservative techniques (for example, photodynamic therapy) and surgical tumor removal with the best aesthetic result)
- Follow-up patient care after treatment of skin tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions using skin tests and modern laboratory diagnostic techniques (for example, Flow-CAST, CAST, lymphocyte transformation test, RAST laboratory)
- Insect venom allergy
- Drug allergy
- Food allergy
- Hay fever
- Contact allergies, including occupational dermatitis
- Allergic reactions to implants and dental materials
- Individual diagnostics of light intolerance
- All types of urticaria
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious skin diseases caused by fungi, bacteria and viruses (for example, shingles, herpes)
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory skin diseases (for example, atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, lichen planus, acne)
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune diseases (for example, systemic lupus erythematosus, systemic scleroderma, bullous dermatitis)
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin diseases in children
- Diagnostics and treatment of varicose veins (phlebology)
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Other medical services
Prof. Dr. med. Alexander Kapp is a Chairman and Medical Director of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology, Venereology at the Hannover Medical School. He is known for his work in the field of pathophysiology of inflammatory skin diseases (atopic dermatitis, psoriasis), his research on neuro-immunological interactions in allergic inflammation and on the role of eosinophilic granulocytes in allergy.
Education and Professional Career
Prof. Kapp studied Human Medicine at the University of Heidelberg (from 1974 to 1980) and in 1980 received his doctorate with his thesis on T-lymphocyte function in atopic dermatitis. He then spent research fellowships at the University of Heidelberg, the University of Freiburg, and the Max Planck Institute of Immunobiology in Freiburg. After the residency in dermatology at the University of Freiburg, he received board certification in dermatology and allergology in 1987. In 1988, he became Associate Professor for Dermatology and Venereology and in 1990 Head of the Section of Allergology and Immunological Diagnostics at the University Hospital Freiburg. Since 1994, he has held the position of Professor, Chairman and Director of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology, Venereology at the Hannover Medical School.
Prof. Kapp worked in the field of in vitro diagnostics of allergic diseases. However, his main research interest lies in the pathophysiology of inflammatory skin diseases, particularly atopic dermatitis and psoriasis. His main focus in allergy research is in the field of insect allergies and allergic rhinitis, particularly the specific immunotherapy of these diseases, as well as diagnostic and treatment of urticarial. Genetics, diagnostics and treatment of malignant skin tumours are also in the focus of his scientific work. Dr. Kapp participated in the development of national and European guidelines on allergy. He was clinical investigator in various clinical studies, as well as study director of national and European clinical multicenter studies in the field of dermatology and allergology, as well as conductor and coordinator of various in vitro studies in the field of inflammation research and allergy.
Awards and Honors
- 1993 Herbert Herxheimer Advancement Award of the German Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology (DGAKI).
- 1996 Herbert Herxheimer Advancement Award of the German Society for Allergy and Clinical Immunology.
- 1999 Herbert Herxheimer Memorial Award of the German Society for Allergology and Clinical Immunology.
- 2013 Erich Fuchs Award of the Association of German Allergologists for extraordinary merits in the area of allergology, clinical immunology and dermatology.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Working Group on Dermatological Research (ADF).
- German Society of Dermatology (DDG).
- Society for Dermopharmacy.
- European Society for Dermatological Research (ESDR).
- European Dermatology Forum (EDF).
- German Japan Society for Dermatology (GJSD).
- German Society of Allergology and Clinical Immunology (DGAKI).
- Collegium Internationale Allergologicum (CIA).
- Fellow of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Dermatology, Allergology, Venereology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.