Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (390079)
Specialized in: psychiatry, social psychiatry, physiotherapy
About the department
The Department of Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the Hannover Medical School offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department specializes in four main clinical focuses: general psychiatry, affective disorders, geriatric psychiatry and addictive medicine (addictions). It provides comprehensive treatment, corresponding to the high level of modern psychiatry and the very latest scientific achievements. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Bleich.
In the field of general psychiatry, comprehensive treatment of all psychiatric disorders is provided. The specialists of the department work closely with patients to develop an individual, optimal treatment strategy, which most often covers modern psychotherapeutic methods, combined with medical therapy, ergotherapy or physiotherapy.
In addition to the treatment of acute psychiatric crisis conditions, an important part of the department's work is the formulation of an accurate diagnosis, the timely therapy initiation and prescription of the most effective treatment methods for patients. The treatment of general psychiatric disorders can be provided on an inpatient basis, in a day hospital or on an outpatient basis. Therapy may be both individual and group.
Of particular interest is the treatment of affective disorders: acute and chronic depression, anxiety disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder, psychological consequences of trauma and personality disorders. All these diseases have a negative impact on the patient’s quality of life, their communication with others and ability to work. To treat these disorders, the department uses various methods of psychotherapy, which are individually adapted to the patients’ needs. In addition, there are often used differentiated drug therapy and complementary therapeutic measures, for example, ergotherapy, sociotherapy, physiotherapy, relaxation techniques. The treatment is provided by qualified doctors, psychologists, social workers, professional therapists and physiotherapists.
The department’s spectrum of services is supplemented by geriatric psychiatry. The department employs specially trained doctors who have extensive experience and competent knowledge in the treatment of the entire spectrum of mental disorders in the elderly (from the age of 50 years).
Addictive medicine is also one of the most important focuses of the department. Here is provided professional treatment of all forms of addiction. Of particular interest is the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction, opiate addiction, gambling, media addiction. Most often, patients with such problems are prescribed outpatient treatment, but if a person cannot manage to cope with their condition at home (especially in alcohol and drug addiction), they need inpatient medical care. As a rule, the duration of the course of therapy is from 14 to 21 days and more.
- 1991 - 1997 Study of Medicine at the Georg Augustus University of Goettingen.
- 1997 PhD defense. Subject: "Methanol in wood dust – "Trojan horse" – a new hypothesis of the genesis of nose malignant tumors in constant exposure to wood dust" (magna cum laude), Institute of Forensic Medicine at the Georg Augustus University of Goettingen (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Saternus).
- 1997 Intern, Institute of Pathology, Municipal Hospital Braunschweig (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Donhuijsen).
- 1998 Intern and Research Assistant in the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the Georg Augustus University of Goettingen (Head: Prof. Dr. med. Rüther).
- 2000 - 2001 Training in Neurology and Neurophysiology, Department of Neurology at the University of Göttingen (Heads: Prof. Dr. med. Felgenhauer, Prof. Dr. med. Baer, Prof. Dr. med. Paulus).
- Recognized Physician in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
- Leading senior physician of the department of psychiatry and psychotherapy at the Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangan-Nuremberg.
- Habilitation. Subject: "Pathobiochemistry and pathophysiology of homocysteine in the consumption of alcohol and alcoholism"; Venia Legendi in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, as well as recognition as a Private Docent.
- Leading Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department.
- 2004 Appointed and recognized as C3 Professor and Visiting Professor in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
- 2005 Additional qualification in Geriatrics.
- 2006 Qualification in primary medical care in addiction.
- Qualification in the priority medical focus: Forensic Psychiatry.
- Recognized as W3 Professor in Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
- Since October 1, 2008 Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at the Hannover Medical School.
Membership in the Scientific Societies
- German Society for Biological Psychiatry (DGBP).
- German Society of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Neurology (DGPPN).
- German Society for the Study and Treatment of Addiction (DG-Sucht).
- Working Group on Neuropsychopharmacology and Pharmacopsychiatry (AGNP).
- World Federation of Societies of Biological Psychiatry (WFSBP).
- European Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism (ESBRA).
Scientific Awards and Honors
- 2001 Philip Morris Foundation Award.
- 2002 Philip Morris Foundation Award.
- 2004 Scientific Award of the German Society for the Study and Treatment of Addiction (DG-Addiction).
- 2006 European College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ECNP).
- 2006 International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism (ISBRA).
- 2007 Wilhelm Feuerlein Award, German Society of Addiction.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Psychiatry, Social Psychiatry and Psychotherapy.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.