Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Radiation Therapy and Special Oncology (390082)
Specialized in: radiation therapy, special oncology
About the department
The Department of Radiation Therapy and Special Oncology at the Hannover Medical School is the only center in the region where the full spectrum of modern high-precision radiation is offered, including all methods of radiation with electrons and photons (3D conformal radiation, intensity-modulated radiotherapy, imaging-guided radiation therapy, stereotaxia of the head and of the whole body, brachytherapy (also with IMRT and the possibility of the whole body radiation). The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hans Christiansen.
Both high professionalism and state-of-the-art medical equipment ensure optimal treatment results. The department has advanced CT systems for radiation planning, linear accelerators of the latest generation, afterloading radiotherapy devices and other technologies.
The department specializes in the following types of radiation therapy:
- 3D-conformal radiation therapy is a radiation method, the technology of which is based on voluminous planning. In other words, the shape of the radiated tissue volume is maximally approximated to the tumor form. Radiation therapists use images to identify target areas – tumors, surrounding healthy tissues, which should be either preserved or restored, if possible.
- Intensity modulated radiotherapy is the further development of 3D-conformal radiation. In addition to the direction of radiation and the shape of the radiation field, it is also possible to modulate the dose within the radiation field. This can be achieved by dividing the individual radiation fields into a large number of small "subfields" (the so-called subsegments). In certain clinical situations, the method makes it possible to even better protect the healthy tissue surrounding the tumor, as well as to increase the radiation dose in the tumor tissue in order to improve treatment effectiveness. One form of intensity modulated radiotherapy is volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT). The planned volume of radiation is recorded very accurately, while the surrounding organs and tissues are optimally protected, as in IMRT. The accuracy of this radiation corresponds to the accuracy of IMRT. The duration of radiation can be reduced by rotating the irradiator around the patient.
- Image-guided radiation therapy (IGRT) is a method that involves creation of images at short intervals during a radiotherapy session. The images obtained by this type of therapy are compared by the radiotherapist with those taken at the planning stage, and thus high-precision radiation is provided.
- Stereotactic radiation therapy allows to provide a relatively high dose of radiation in a small area within a single procedure, and thus, to destroy the target areas of the tumor, which is comparable to the result of the surgery. The number of procedures and the dose of radiation depend on the type of tumor and its size. This method is often used to treat various brain, lung or liver tumors.
- 1994 - 2001 Study of medicine at the Georg Augustus University Göttingen.
- 29.05.2001 Medical exam.
- 06.25.2002 Doctor’s Degree. "DNA nucleotide sequence of hepatitis B virus in patients with seronegative hepatitis B when suspected of liver disease", Department of Medical Microbiology, Georg Augustus University Göttingen, note: very good.
- 07.16.2007 Habilitation. "The effect of ionizing radiation on the liver: cellular, molecular-biological and genetic aspects".
- 01.08.2001 - 31.01.2003 Intern, Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Göttingen (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. C.F. Hess).
- 02.01.2003 Admission to medical practice.
- 01.02.2003 - 31.12.2011 Fellow of the Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Göttingen (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. C.F. Hess).
- 01.02.2003 - 19.10.2006 Assistant Physician, Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Göttingen (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. C.F. Hess).
- 19.10.2006 Professional medical exam (Medical Specialist in Radiotherapy), qualification in the field of radiotherapy (teletherapy and brachytherapy).
- 06.03.2007 Recognized specialization "Planning of radiation therapy with the use of imaging methods".
- 01.08.2007 - 31.12.2011 Senior Physician of the Department of Radiation Therapy and Radiation Oncology, University Hospital Göttingen (Head: Prof. Dr. Dr. C.F. Hess).
- 06.2010 - 12.2011 Visiting Professor at the University of Göttingen.
- 01.2011 Listed for W3 Professorship in Radiation Therapy, University of Münster.
- 06.2011 Invitation to the position of W3 Professor in Radiation Therapy and Special Oncology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 01.2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Radiation Therapy and Special Oncology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1996 - 1997 Trainee in the Department of Histology, Anatomy Center.
- 01.1998 - 07.2001 Trainee in the Department of Virology.
- Since 2005 Reviewer of "Head and Neck".
- Since 2006 Reviewer of "Radiotherapy and Oncology" and "International Journal of Radiation Biology".
- Since 2007 Reviewer of "Radiation Oncology".
- Since 2008 Reviewer of "BMC Cancer", "Laboratory Research", "Radiation Investigation" and "International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics".
- Since 2009 Reviewer of "Wound Repair and Regeneration" and "Cancer".
- Since 2010 Reviewer of "Radiotherapy and Oncology".
- 22.11.2006 Appointed as a Radiation Protection Employee, University of Göttingen.
- 06.2011 Qualified Specialist in Blood Transfusion.
- Since 2007 Managing Director of the Committee of "Education of Medical Students", Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO).
- 11.2008 Deputy Director of the University Cancer Center.
- Since 2009 Managing Director of the DEGRO and BVDST Academy for Advanced Training in Radiation Therapy.
- 10.2009 Completed course "Palliative Medicine for Doctors" (basic course).
- 02.2010 Completed course "Medical Quality Management" (basic course).
- 03.2010 Completed supplementary course "Palliative Medicine for Doctors - Autumn Workshop Module 2".
- 12.2010 Completed advanced training course "Palliative Medicine for Doctors - Autumn Workshop Module 1".
- Since 2010 Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of "Radiotherapy and Oncology".
- 07.2011 Completed advanced training course "Palliative Medicine for Doctors - Autumn Workshop Module 1".
Scholarships and Awards for Research Papers
- 2004 Scholarship to support young scientists in the field of radiation oncology and radiation biology, 13th Symposium "Experimental Radiation Therapy and Clinical Radiation Biology", Dresden, March 2004.
- 2005 Varian-Posterpreis Award, 11th Annual Congress of the German Society of Radiation Oncology, Karlsruhe, May 2005.
- 2007 Varian-Posterpreis Award 13th Annual Congress of the German Society of Radiation Oncology, Hannover, June 2007.
- 2008 Report Award, Annual Meeting of the German Association for Liver Study, Frankfurt, January 2008.
- 2008 Posterpreis Award, 17th Symposium "Experimental Radiation Therapy and Clinical Radiation Biology", Dresden, March 2008.
- 2008 Holthusenpreis Award of the German Radiation Oncology Society (DEGRO), 14th Annual DEGRO Congress in Vienna, May 2008.
- 2008 Isodose Control Posterpreis, 11th Annual Meeting of the Society for Biological Radiation Research, Tubingen, October 2008.
- 2009 Varian-Posterpreis Award, 15th Congress of the German Society of Radiation Oncology (DEGRO), Bremen, June 2009.
- 2010 Elekta-Posterpreis Award, 16th Annual Congress of the German Society for Radiation Oncology (DEGRO), Magdeburg, June 2010.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Radiation Therapy and Special Oncology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.