Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Immunology, Rheumatology (390228)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric immunology, rheumatology
About the department
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Immunology, Rheumatology at the Hannover Medical School is the pioneer in clinical immunology in Germany. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of immunodeficient conditions and infectious diseases, as well as of rheumatic diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis, collagenoses, vasculitides, spondyloarthritis, and other rare rheumatic or autoimmune diseases. The department has a highly competent Consulting Center for the treatment of diseases of the musculoskeletal system and infectious diseases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Reinhold Schmidt.
The department is the Diagnostic Center for Primary Immunodeficiencies (the Jeffrey Modell Foundation). The center's task is to detect and optimally treat children and adolescents with chronic diseases and possible immunodeficiencies as early as possible.
The department is very actively involved in research activities. The main areas include the development of antiretroviral therapy (infectious research), studies of genes associated with the development of collagen (in particular, systemic lupus erythematosus), primary and secondary immunodeficiency disorders, etc. This means that the treatment of patients constantly involves the use of the most current achievements of medicine.
The range of medical services of the department:
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of infectious and parasitic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergies
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired immunodeficiencies (including HIV and AIDS)
- Treatment of blood poisoning / sepsis
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune diseases
- Treatment of chronic diseases in suspected immunodeficiency
- Pediatric immunology
- Pediatric rheumatology
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
Education and Professional Experience
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Medicine at the Rhenish Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn.
- 1971 - 1977 Second higher education in Psychology at the Rhenish Friedrich Wilhelm University of Bonn.
- 1976 - 1977 Assistant Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine (University Hospital Bonn) and Surgery.
- 1977 -1983 Fellow, Department of Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Bonn.
- 1980 Research Internship in the Department of Rheumatology, Hammersmith Hospital, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, London, England.
- 1980 - 1986 Head of the Laboratory for Clinical Immunology and Rheumatology.
- 1983 - 1986 Research Internship in the Department of Tumor Immunology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA.
- 1985 Invitation to the post of University Professor (C2) and Senior Physician in the Department of Clinical Immunology preceded by thesis defense at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1986 - 1994 Senior Physician in the Department of Clinical Immunology at the Center for Internal Medicine and Dermatology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1986 - 1994 Rotation in various departments as a Senior Physician within the Center of Internal Medicine, including the specialized Department of Rheumatology, Hematological Oncology, Spinal Cord Transplantation, Infectious Diseases, the Department of General Internal Medicine, and as a Resident in various Outpatient Departments.
- Since 1995 Director of the Department of Clinical Immunology at the Center for Internal Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
- Since 2004 Head of the Jeffrey Modell Center for Diagnosis and Treatment of Immunodeficiency Disorders.
- Since 2007 Chief Physician of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Immunology, Rheumatology at the Hannover Medical School.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Adult and Pediatric Immunology, Rheumatology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.