Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Rheumatology (390228)
Specialized in: rheumatology
About the Department of Rheumatology at Hannover Medical School (MHH)
The Department of Rheumatology at the Hannover Medical School offers comprehensive diagnostics and effective treatment of the full range of rheumatic diseases, including lesions of internal organs caused by rheumatic pathologies and their complications. Of particular interest to the department's rheumatologists is the diagnostics and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and gout. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Torsten Witte.
Medical care is provided both on an outpatient and inpatient basis. The department has 11 beds for patient hospitalization. The treatment is based on an interdisciplinary approach, and therefore doctors from related medical fields are involved in the therapeutic process, including nephrologists, gastroenterologists, ophthalmologists, etc. To successfully eliminate rheumatic pathologies, doctors usually use conservative treatment methods, namely drug therapy. The department's medical team uses both classical and advanced pharmaceuticals in its clinical practice.
The department has modern diagnostic rooms for a comprehensive assessment of the patient's condition and making an accurate diagnosis. It carries out ultrasound examinations, high-precision imaging diagnostics (CT and MRI), as well as the necessary laboratory tests. Not the least role is played by clinical examination, study of the patient's anamnesis and his complaints. If the examination confirms the presence of rheumatic pathology, the attending physician thinks of the optimal treatment tactics, taking into account the particular type of rheumatic disease, the presence or absence of complications, the patient's age, etc. In addition to intake of individually selected drugs, the special course of physiotherapy is usually prescribed to patients. This treatment can improve mobility and relieve pain. In some cases, electrotherapy, ultrasound therapy, and other treatment methods can be applied as well. Intra-articular injections of radioactive yttrium are also often used. If the rheumatic disease has reached its final stages and conservative treatment methods do not give the desired result, the last line therapy is minimally invasive surgery – arthroplasty and joint replacement surgery. The operations are carried out in cooperation with orthopedists.
The department's medical team applies all medical resources, its rich clinical experience and professional skills to achieve long-term remission or complete recovery of the patient, ensuring him a decent quality of life and freedom of movement.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of psoriatic arthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of spondyloarthritis
- Diagnostics and treatment of Sjogren's syndrome
- Diagnostics and treatment of scleroderma
- Diagnostics and treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Diagnostics and treatment of vasculitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of gout
- Diagnostics and treatment of ankylosing spondylitis
- Diagnostics and treatment of fibromyalgia
- Diagnostics and treatment of dermatomyositis
- Diagnostics and treatment of other rheumatic diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Torsten Witte
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Human Medicine at the Hannover Medical School and at the University of Goettingen.
- 1987 Doctoral Degree.
- 2000 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 2003 Habilitation.
- 2007 Board certification in Rheumatology.
- 1990 - 1994 Assistant Physician, Department of Immunology at the Hannover Medical School.
- 1994 - 1997 Research Fellow, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Department of Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Boston.
- 1997 - 2000 Assistant Physician, Department of Immunology, Hannover Medical School, and since 2000 – Senior Physician.
- Since 2008 W3 Professor of Rheumatology and Head of the Department of Rheumatology at the Hannover Medical School.
Positions in Scientific Societies and Organizations
- 2003 - 2009 Representative of the Working Group on Clinical Immunology, German Society for Immunology.
- 2003 - 2009 Representative of the Working Group on Immune Vasculitis, German Society of Rheumatology.
- Since 2012 Member of the "Laboratory Diagnostics" Commission of the German Society of Rheumatology.
- Since 2015 Member of the "Student Education" Commission of the German Society of Rheumatology.
Prizes, Awards and Honors
- 2004 Sicca Prize for the discovery of antibodies to alpha-fodrin as a diagnostic marker for Sjogren's syndrome.
- 2012 Award of Excellence in Teaching awarded by students of the Hannover Medical School for outstanding teaching performance in their 5th year.
- 2015 Julius Springer Award for Best Paper in Rheumatology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Rheumatology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.