Hannover Medical School (MHH)
Department of Nephrology (390936)
Specialized in: nephrology
About the Department of Nephrology at Hannover Medical School (MHH)
The Department of Nephrology at the Hannover Medical School provides the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services to patients with acute and chronic kidney diseases. A special feature of the department is its rich experience in modern types of dialysis (renal replacement therapy). The department also provides the treatment of all forms of arterial hypertension and rare diseases caused by hypertension. The department provides medical care for those patients who will undergo kidney transplantation and for patients after kidney transplantation. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hermann Haller.
Each patient receives the most effective treatment according to current clinical protocols, as well as individual needs and wishes of the patient. The medical facility has an excellent reputation in Germany and regularly demonstrates high treatment success rates, thanks to which it has gained a high degree of patient confidence.
The department provides inpatient and outpatient medical care. Both diagnostics and treatment are carried out in various specialized sections. Station 28A, 28B and 32A offer the widest range of medical services for the diagnostics and treatment of nephrologic pathologies and arterial hypertension. Station 85 is dedicated to caring for patients after kidney transplantation. Station 14 provides intensive care for patients with particularly severe diseases, while Station 10 provides medical care for patients with acute kidney failure (renal replacement therapy).
In addition, the department has a large outpatient clinic where patients with acute and chronic kidney diseases undergo treatment. The outpatient clinic also admits patients with a high risk of developing acute or chronic kidney disease, for example, patients with arterial hypertension, diabetes mellitus or metabolic disorders. Great attention is paid to the follow-up monitoring of patients after kidney transplant.
As part of the university hospital, the department attaches great importance to research activities. It carries out many researches on inflammatory kidney diseases, chronic kidney disease in arterial hypertension and diabetes mellitus, acute kidney failure, dialysis and transplantation. Research groups analyze the molecular mechanisms of disease development in animal models and cell cultures. An important part of research is the so-called "translational aspect", namely, when analyzing the cellular and molecular mechanisms of disease development, the search for optimal diagnostic and therapeutic measures plays a major role.
The department's therapeutic options include:
- Drug therapy
- Infusion therapy
- Renal replacement therapy (dialysis)
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Continuous renal replacement therapy
- Genius hemodialysis system
- Continuous venovenous hemofiltration (CVVH)
- Continuous venovenous hemodialysis (CVVHD)
- Blood purification procedures
- Intensive therapy for acute conditions caused by neurologic disorders, arterial hypertension
- Other treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Hermann Haller
- 1976 - 1979 Study of History of Arts, Free University of Berlin.
- 1976 - 1982 Study of Human Medicine, Free University of Berlin.
- 1982 Doctoral Degree, Department of Endocrinology, Free University of Berlin.
- 1982 - 1992 Department of Internal Medicine, Benjamin Franklin University Hospital, Free University of Berlin.
- 1987 - 1989 Postdoctoral Fellow, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Endocrinology, Yale University.
- 1982 Admission to medical practice (medical license).
- 24.10.1991 Residency, Internal Medicine.
- 18.03.1998 Residency, Nephrology.
- 1992 Habilitation, Internal Medicine, Free University of Berlin. Subject: "Molecular mechanisms of cardiovascular hypertrophy".
Appointments and Positions
- 1991 - 1993 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Benjamin Franklin University Hospital, Berlin.
- 1992 - 1999 Deputy Head, Department of Nephrology, Franz Volhard Clinic, Humboldt University, Berlin.
- 1993 - 1999 (C3) Associate Professor, Humboldt University, Berlin, and Coordinator, Research Area – Hypertension, Max Delbrueck Center for Molecular Medicine (MDC), Berlin, Buch.
- Since 1999 Head of the Department of Nephrology, Hannover Medical School.
- 2002 - 2011 Dean for Medical Education, Hannover Medical School.
- 2007 Coordinator of the Integrated Research and Treatment Centre for Transplantation, Hannover Medical School.
- 2007 Faculty of the Mount Desert Island Biological Laboratory (MDIBL).
- 2011 Honorary Professorship, Huazhong University of Science and Technology in Wuhan, China.
- 2011 Director of the Sino-German Tongji-Caritas Research Center of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- 2014 Senior Position, International Affairs, Hannover Medical School.
- Pathogenesis and consequences of arterial hypertension.
- Injury and regeneration of the kidneys and blood vessels.
Honors and Awards (selected)
- 1994 Franz Volhard Prize of the Society of Nephrology.
- 1996 Walter Clawitter Prize of the Heinrich Heine University Duesseldorf.
- 1997 Galenus von Pergamon Prize.
- 2000 Franz Volhard Prize, German Hypertension Society.
- 2005 Björn Folkow Award, European Society of Hypertension.
- 2007 Jan Brod Prize, Czech Society of Hypertension.
- 2014 "Wennerström Lecture", Sahlgrenska University Hospital Goeteborg.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Medizinische Hochschule Hannover (MHH)
Department of Nephrology.
Hannover Medical School (MHH):
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.