HELIOS Clinic Krefeld
Department of of General, Abdominal and Minimally Invasive Surgery (381392)
Specialized in: general, abdominal, minimally invasive surgery
About the department
The Department of General, Abdominal and Minimally Invasive Surgery at the HELIOS Clinic Krefeld offers the full range of services in these medical fields. The department specializes in the surgical treatment of abdominal organs: esophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder and bile ducts, thyroid gland. Here are used only proven and sparing surgical treatment methods, which guarantee a rapid recovery of patients. The department is headed by PD Dr. med. Christoph Wullstein.
The specialists of the department have many years of experience and expertise in performing minimally invasive interventions ("keyhole surgery") that help the patient avoid severe pain, prolonged hospitalization, the risk of infection and loss of blood.
The department shows excellent results in the treatment of oncological diseases. It performs successful operations to treat esophageal, stomach, intestinal, liver and pancreatic cancer. The department holds weekly tumor boards, during which gastroenterologists, radiologists, oncologists and radiation therapists jointly discuss each case and develop an optimal treatment plan.
In addition, the department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of proctologic diseases (hemorrhoids, anal fissures, fecal incontinence, etc.). After a comprehensive diagnosis, the doctor prescribes the necessary course of therapy. Treatment can be both conservative and surgical.
A separate focus of the department is surgical treatment of the endocrine organs. There are performed many operations on the thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands and pancreas.
The department’s scope of tasks also includes the treatment of obesity. Should conservative obesity treatment not yield positive results, the doctors of the department offer safe operations that will help to cope with the problem, for example, sleeve gastroplasty, gastric bypass surgery and others. The operation is preceded by a special individual consultation, during which the doctor informs about the possibility of performing certain interventions and the risks that they may entail.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- General surgery
- Cholecystectomy (surgery to remove the gallbladder)
- Surgery to treat inguinal, umbilical and incisional hernias
- Surgical treatment of heartburn
- Surgical removal of soft tissue tumors and abscesses
- Port system implantation (for example, for chemotherapy in cancer treatment)
- Proctologic diseases
- Anal thrombosis
- Anal fissures
- Anal fistulas and anal abscesses
- Coccyx fistulas
- Genital warts
- Rectal prolapse
- Fecal incontinence
- Endocrine surgery
- Thyroid surgery (for example, in malignant diseases)
- Parathyroid surgery (for example, in hyperparathyroidism)
- Adrenal surgery (for example, in benign or malignant neoplasms)
- Pancreatic surgery (for example, in insulinoma)
- Cancer surgery
- Esophageal cancer
- Stomach cancer
- Colon cancer
- Liver cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Bariatric surgery
- Sleeve gastroplasty
- Gastric bypass surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Resection of the gallbladder, appendix and adrenal glands
- Surgery to treat inguinal hernias and heartburn
- Resection of the colon and rectum
- Surgery to treat pancreatic and esophageal tumors
- Highly specialized abdominal interventions
- Partial resection of the esophagus in esophageal cancer
- Total or partial resection of the pancreas in pancreatic cancer
- Liver resection for the treatment of liver metastases or liver cancer
- Surgery to treat colon and rectal cancers
- Peritoneal resection with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) in peritoneal cancer and peritoneal carcinomatosis
- And other interventions
- 1986 - 1993 Medical studies, Ruhr University Bochum, Germany.
- 1995 Licence to practice medicine, Germany.
- 1997 Doctorate in medicine, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 1999 Board certification as Surgeon.
- 2002 Board certification as Abdominal Surgeon.
- 2004 Postdoctoral qualification in surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany. "Risk factors of the non-immunological morbidity following simultaneous pancreas and kidney transplantation in uremic type 1 diabetics".
- 1993 - 1995 Assistant Physician, Department of Bone and Joint Surgery,
- Academic Hospital Remscheid.
- 1995 - 1998 Assistant Physician, Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Barmbek, Teaching Hospital of the University of Hamburg.
- 1998 - 1999 Assistant Physician, Department of General, Thoracic and Vascular Surgery.
- 2000 Senior Physician, Department of Transplantation Surgery, University of Rostock
- (Prof. U. T. Hopt).
- 2001 - 2002 Chief Physician, Department of Surgery, Ruhr University Bochum,
- Knappschaftskrankenhaus Bochum-Langendreer
- (Prof. W. O. Bechstein).
- 2002 - 11/2008 Chief Physician, Department of General and Vascular Surgery, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt
- (Prof. W. O. Bechstein).
- Since 12/2008 Chief Physician, Department of General, Abdominal and Minimally Invasive Surgery, HELIOS Clinic Krefeld.
- German Society of Surgery.
- Professional Association of German Surgeons.
- Study Group on Minimally Invasive Surgery.
- Roche Transplantation Award 2003
- 2004 Scientific Award of the Study Group on Gastroenterology, Central Germany.
Department of of General, Abdominal and Minimally Invasive Surgery.
HELIOS Clinic Krefeld:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.