HELIOS Clinic Krefeld
Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery (384365)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric thoracic surgery
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Thoracic Surgery at the HELIOS Clinic Krefeld offers the full range of services in this medical focus. The main specialization of the department is the diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer, lung metastases. In addition, the department's scope of tasks includes thoracic biopsy, surgical treatment of suppuration in the pleural cavity, chest defects, tracheal surgery, lung volume reduction surgery. The surgeons of the department have a unique experience and expertise in the field of thoracic surgery in children and adolescents. The department is headed by Dr. med. Martin Hohls.
The department offers the following methods of lung cancer treatment:
- Removal of the segment of the lung (segmental resection)
- Removal of the lobe of the lung (lobectomy and VATS-lobectomy)
- Removal of two lobes of the lung (bilobectomy)
- Removal of the half of the lung (pneumonectomy)
- Alternative treatment option – surgery on the vessels and bronchi (it helps avoid lung removal and preserve healthy tissues)
- Minimally invasive operations in the early stages of the disease
- Other types of interventions
The optimal treatment option is selected at tumor boards, during which each clinical situation is considered. With the availability of necessary indications, adjuvant therapy may be provided. When being diagnosed with cancer, the patient experiences a great emotional shock, and therefore psycho-oncological care is an integral part of treatment.
The treatment of lung metastases is conducted with a modern high-precision laser scalpel, which provides the most accurate removal of the affected lung tissue. Compared to the traditional surgical treatment, this method is more sparing, as patients recover quickly, and surgeons manage to maximally preserve lung function.
It should be noted that the department maintains close cooperation with many specialists from the related fields, which guarantees an interdisciplinary approach to treatment and effective treatment outcomes.
- Krefeld, Germany