Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology (594912)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric ophthalmology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with diseases of the eye and its appendages. The young patients are offered the comprehensive treatment for strabismus. The department’s specialists use the cutting-edge laser systems in their work, which can improve or maintain vision even in the most difficult clinical situations. The diagnostic and therapeutic process is carried out in strict accordance with the protocols of the German and European Societies of Ophthalmology. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Michael Foerster.
One of the department's key focuses is the treatment of cataracts and astigmatism using an innovative femtosecond laser. The treatment technique is highly accurate and effective. Laser energy (focused and amplified light) acts on the tissue for several hundred femtoseconds, but has a strong effect on the lens and cornea of the eye. The femtosecond laser procedures to treat cataract are an excellent alternative to scalpel surgery. The procedure itself consists in replacing the lens and usually lasts only about 10-15 minutes. The patient practically does not feel pain. In addition, cataract surgery may be combined with astigmatism treatment. Thus, the patient can avoid another operation and at the same time improve visual acuity.
The ophthalmologists of the department also specialize in surgical interventions to treat amblyopia, eye tumors, macular degeneration, retinal detachment, occlusion of the lacrimal ducts, orbital injuries and other pathologies.
Of particular interest to the department is the correction of strabismus in adults and children. Before treatment, the patient undergoes the comprehensive diagnostics, according to the results of which the optimal treatment option is selected. The aim of the treatment is not only to improve vision, but also to restore the physiological position of the eyes. The surgical interventions of this kind are performed by specially trained surgeons who posses expert knowledge about the interaction of the eye muscles and have extensive experience to achieve the optimal result.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Laser therapy
- Femtosecond laser surgery for cataracts, astigmatism and myopia
- Argon laser treatment for diabetic retinal angiopathy and other retinal circulatory disorders
- Treatment of secondary cataract and angle-closure glaucoma using an Nd-YAG laser
- Cyclophotocoagulation for the reduction of intraocular pressure in glaucoma
- Treatment of age-related and early childhood cataracts
- Femtosecond laser surgery to treat cataract
- Implantation of intraocular lenses (multifocal and toric lenses, blue filter lenses, aspherical lenses)
- Secondary implantation of an intraocular lens and artificial lens replacement
- Surgery to reduce intraocular pressure in glaucoma
- Iris surgery (iridotomy, iridectomy)
- Drainage installation to reduce intraocular pressure
- Refractive eye surgery to correct visual impairment
- Implantation of phakic intraocular lenses
- Vitreous replacement
- Simultaneous correction of ametropia and presbyopia with multifocal lenses (replacement of presbyopic lenses, PRELEX)
- Correction of astigmatism using a femtosecond laser
- Retinal and vitreous surgery
- Pars plana vitrectomy (minimally invasive, seamless surgical procedure for retinal detachment, hemorrhage, pathological macular lesions, clouding or damage to the lens of the eye)
- Scleral filling for retinal detachment
- Injection therapy for macular degeneration and retinal hemorrhage
- Cryotherapy and laser therapy for localization and scarring of the retinal holes
- Surgery of the anterior segment of the eye
- Removal of conjunctival and corneal tumors
- Pterygium removal
- Corneal transplantation (posterior, anterior and radical keratoplasty) for the treatment of opacities and swelling (dystrophy, keratopathy, keratoconus)
- Plastic reconstructive eyelid surgery
- Treatment of entropion, ectropion, ptosis
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid plastic surgery)
- Tumor removal with eyelid reconstruction
- Eyeball removal followed by prosthetics
- Lacrimal surgery
- Probing and irrigation of the lacrimal passages
- Silicone drainage implantation
- Strabismus surgery
- Operations on the rectus and oblique oculomotor muscles
- Revision operations after initial correction
- Treatment of eye muscle paralysis
- Orbital surgery (in collaboration with the Department of Adult and Pediatric Otolaryngology, Neurosurgery)
- Other therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Michael Foerster
- 1963 - 1969 Study of Human Medicine at the Universities of Tuebingen, Miami and Berlin.
- 1966 Doctorate in Neurophysiology at the Free University of Berlin.
- 1971 Doctorate.
- Since 1990 Chief Physician of the Department of Ophthalmology at the Charite University Hospital Berlin, Campus Benjamin Franklin (during this time he developed proton therapy for the treatment of eye tumors, which is a special form of targeted radiation therapy).
Membership in Professional Societies
- 1996 - 2004 President of the Society of Radiology.
- 1998 - 2005 Board Member of the German Society of Ophthalmology.
- 2002 - 2008 Secretary General of the European Society of Ophthalmology.
- 2005 Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany in Ophthalmology.
- 2014 Georg Klemperer Medal of Honor from the Berlin Medical Association for the development of proton therapy for treating eye tumors.
- 2017 Albrecht von Graff Medal for Merit in Ocular Oncology.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.