Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Dermatology and Allergology (594916)
Specialized in: dermatology, allergology
About the department
The Department of Dermatology and Allergology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch provides all diagnostic tests and therapeutic measures for the treatment of skin diseases and allergic reactions. The priority area of the department's work is the treatment of malignant skin neoplasms (certification as a Skin Cancer Center of the German Cancer Society). Each patient receives an individual treatment regimen for skin pathology or allergies, which includes the most effective and sparing therapeutic methods. The department is headed by Dr. med. Kerstin Lommel.
In the field of dermatological oncology, the main focus is on the treatment of spinaloma, basal cell carcinoma and melanoma. The first stage of the diagnostics is staging of the disease. When examining for melanoma, a doctor performs a sentinel lymph node biopsy, which allows for the elimination of the spread of tumor cells (metastasis) into the lymph nodes. In many cases, lymph node ultrasound scanning can be performed as well. As a rule, the tumor is removed surgically. If necessary, subsequent reconstructive procedures (flap surgery, skin grafts from other parts of the patient’s body, etc.) will be performed. As an addition to surgical treatment, there can be used techniques, such as electrochemotherapy, extracorporeal photopheresis, systemic drug therapy, cryotherapy, photodynamic therapy and others. The patients are also provided with psycho-oncological support.
The competence of the department’s doctors includes the treatment of acute and chronic inflammatory skin diseases. The treatment plan is also developed individually, taking into account the specific clinical indications of the patient. The most common diagnoses in this area include atopic eczema and psoriasis.
The specialists in the field of allergology are responsible for the prevention, diagnostics and treatment of various types of allergies. In the process of diagnosing allergic reactions, prick tests, intracutaneous, epicutaneous and provocative tests can be carried out. The treatment is mostly based on hyposensitization and drug therapy.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of skin malignancies
- Surgical tumor resection
- Extracorporeal photopheresis
- Drug systemic therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign skin changes
- Surgical removal of birthmarks and moles (perforation, curettage, laser removal)
- Removal of affected tissues in inflammatory diseases, such as acne and coccygeal fistula
- Skin plastic surgery after accidents or burns (reconstructive closure of the defect using flap surgery)
- Circumcision to eliminate inflammation or narrowing of the foreskin (phimosis)
- Genital wart removal
- Scar revision
- Surgical correction of rhinophyma
- Biopsy, including muscle biopsy
- Diagnostics and treatment of inflammatory skin diseases
- Comprehensive diagnostics
- Local therapy appropriate to the stage of the disease
- Light therapy (if necessary, the doctors diagnose photosensitivity – determination of the so-called light threshold)
- Therapy with biologically active substances (systemic therapy with biologicals or biopharmaceuticals, for example, in psoriasis)
- Targeted treatment of the initial inflammation focus
- Systemic therapy of infectious diseases
- Therapy for parasitic diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic skin itching
- Diagnostics and treatment of chronic wounds
- Comprehensive diagnostics of the causes of poor wound healing
- Surgical debridement of wounds or foci of inflammation on the skin
- Skin plastic surgery after accidents, burns or chronic ulcers (reconstructive closure of the defect using flap surgery)
- Wound healing with special bandages, drainage and vacuum pumps
- Biosurgery (clinically controlled use of laboratory-grown larvae to remove dead tissues in the wound area)
- Lymphatic drainage and physiotherapy to stimulate healing of lower limb ulcers
- Bandage replacement
- Pain therapy
- Diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases
- Immunoadsorption (for example, for the treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus, bullous skin diseases)
- Extracorporeal photopheresis (for example, for the treatment of systemic scleroderma, graft versus host disease)
- Diagnostics and treatment of allergic reactions
- Prick tests
- Intracutaneous tests
- Epicutaneous tests
- Provocative tests with the intake of suspected allergens, especially in case of food and drug intolerance
- Laboratory blood tests (assessment of IgE levels)
- Hyposensibilization (for example, for allergies to bee and wasp venom)
- Prevention of allergy exacerbations (diet, low allergenic environment, etc.)
- Drug therapy (antihistamines, corticosteroids)
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
- 2001 Board Certification in Dermatology and Venereology.
- 2002 Additional qualification in Allergology.
- 2004 Additional qualification in Occupational Dermatology.
Integrative Medicine Training
- 2005 Diploma A in Acupuncture.
- 2017 Japanische Kampo-Medizin Certificate.
- 2018 Acupuncture Workshop in Japan (Nagano Akupunktur Usuki).
- 1997 - 2003 Assistant and Specialized Physician of the Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Municipal Hospital Oldenburg.
- 2003 - 2004 Leading Senior Physician of the Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Vivantes Neukölln Clinic Berlin.
- 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Dermatology and Allergology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Dermatology and Allergology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.