Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Cardiology and Nephrology (594942)
Specialized in: cardiology, nephrology
About the department
The Department of Cardiology and Nephrology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full range of medical services in these fields. The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of all diseases of the cardiovascular system and kidneys. The department's cardiologists widely apply modern catheter techniques in their work, while nephrologists ensure the safe performance of dialysis procedures. All therapeutic measures are carried out in strict accordance with the international standardized protocols. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Henning Baberg.
The department performs about 2,000 diagnostic and 900 therapeutic cardiac catheterizations annually. For this purpose, the department has two high-tech Catheter Laboratories, which operate around the clock. In some cases, to avoid a second procedure, the treatment can be carried out immediately, during the diagnostic process. The department's specialists perform many effective catheter-assisted treatment procedures, including percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty, implantation of stents with and without drug coating, clipping for the treatment of mitral valve pathologies, atrial appendage closure, recanalization in chronic coronary occlusions, rotabilization, etc.
In addition, the department has progressive Chest Pain Unit to provide optimal care of patients with acute coronary syndrome. Another focus of the department's cardiologists is the treatment of heart arrhythmias by means of i pacemaker and defibrillator implantation.
In the field of nephrology, the main focus is on the treatment of chronic kidney failure, which is often caused by such pathologies as diabetes mellitus, arterial hypertension or pyelonephritis. The treatment of chronic kidney failure is primarily aimed at slowing the pathological process and preserving the remaining kidney function. With the rapid progression of pathology, renal replacement therapy is performed. Each patient receives an individual treatment regimen.
The department specializes in the treatment of hypertension. During the diagnostics, the doctor determines the cause of the development of the pathology. The next step involves blood pressure measurement and ultrasound scanning. Both blood test and urinalysis are also performed in order to assess kidney function. The initial purpose of the therapy is to normalize blood pressure, whereas the subsequent therapy aims to eliminate or monitor the main pathology, which caused the development of hypertension.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Catheter-assisted procedures
- Percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty
- Implantation of stents with and without drug coating
- Clipping for the treatment of mitral valve diseases
- Atrial appendage closure
- Recanalization in chronic coronary occlusions
- Percutaneous aortic valve replacement using catheter-assisted techniques
- Patent foramen ovale closure
- Atrial septal defect closure
- Transcoronary ablation for septal hypertrophy
- Treatment of heart rhythm disorders
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Heart failure treatment
- Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging
- Cardiac electrophysiological diagnostics
- Catheter-assisted procedures
- Diagnostics and treatment of acute and chronic kidney failure
- Diagnostics and treatment of arterial hypertension
- Diagnostics and treatment of vasculitides
- Diagnostics and treatment of electrolyte balance disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of acid-base imbalance
- Kidney puncture
- Dialysis procedures
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Citrate dialysis
- Other medical services
- 1989 - 1996 Study of Medicine at the Ruhr University Bochum and the University of California in San Diego, USA.
- 1997 Doctoral thesis defense in medical psychology.
- 1996 - 2006 Department of Cardiology and Angiology, University Hospital Bergmannsheil Bochum.
- 2003 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 2005 Board certification in Cardiology.
- 2005 Habilitation, Ruhr University Bochum.
- 2006 - 2009 Start of work in the Helios Hospital Group as Responsible Specialist in Management and Administration.
- 2009 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiology and Nephrology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- Since 2012 Member of the Medical Advisory Board of the Helios Hospital Group.
- Since 2012 Rector of the Faculty of Medicine, University of Berlin.
- Since 2015 Medical Director of the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- Long teaching experience at the Ruhr University Bochum in Medical Psychology, Internal Medicine and Cardiology.
- Regular teaching activities at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Berlin.
Department of Cardiology and Nephrology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.