Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (594944)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for young patients with acute and chronic diseases. The department's key focuses include the treatment of cancer, rheumatic diseases, pathologies of the respiratory tract, neurological disorders, as well as intensive care and medical care for newborns and premature babies. The department's specialists care not only about the physical, but also about the emotional state of the children, and therefore they can easily find a common language with them and establish a confidential contact, which has a beneficial effect on the treatment outcome. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Patrick Hundsdörfer.
The pediatric oncologists of the department have the necessary expert knowledge and extensive clinical experience for the effective treatment of malignant blood diseases and solid tumors in children. To select the optimal treatment regimen, they carry out the comprehensive diagnostics, including biopsy, imaging techniques (CT, MRI, PET, PET-CT), ultrasound scans, etc. As the largest and leading Center for Pediatric Oncology in Germany, the department offers all modern treatment methods for cancers in children. The key therapeutic options include surgical resection of the tumor, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, bone marrow transplantation. The department's specialists provide psychological support to both young patients and their families.
The department's competence also includes the treatment of rheumatic pathologies. The children and adolescents under the age of 18 years can be treated here. The experts in the field of pediatric cardiology, neurology, ophthalmology and dermatology are often involved in the therapeutic process. To establish a diagnosis, the doctors conduct laboratory tests, ultrasound scanning, radiography and MRI. The treatment is mostly based on the use of special drugs. In some cases, the doctors can prescribe intra-articular injection therapy. As additional measures, physiotherapy and occupational therapy can be carried out.
The department has excellent options for the diagnostics and treatment of respiratory diseases in children. It performs not only laboratory and imaging diagnostics, but also high-precision pulmonary function testing. Based on the results, the doctors determine the optimal treatment tactics. It is worth noting that the department has an impeccable reputation for the treatment of cystic fibrosis and bronchial asthma in children at the national level.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of cancer
- Malignant lymphomas
- Brain tumors
- Bone tumors
- Soft tissue tumors
- Liver tumors
- Germ cell tumors
- Relapses of all tumors
- Rare types of tumors
- Lymphadenopathy of unknown origin
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign blood diseases
- All types of anemia
- Severe aplastic anemia
- Rare blood diseases
- Diagnostics and treatment of rheumatic diseases
- Acute inflammatory joint diseases, including reactive and post-infectious arthritis
- Infectious bone and joint lesions
- Chronic inflammatory joint diseases
- Eye lesions caused by rheumatic diseases (in collaboration with the Department of Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology)
- Autoimmune diseases with and without joint lesion (including collagenosis and vasculitis)
- Fever of unknown origin
- Chronic non-bacterial osteomyelitis (bone marrow inflammation)
- Joint lesion in metabolic disorders and accumulation diseases
- Exacerbation of pain syndromes
- Diagnostics and treatment of respiratory diseases
- Infectious diseases (bronchitis, pneumonia)
- Bronchial asthma
- Extraction of foreign bodies from the respiratory tract
- Diagnostics and treatment of neurological, psychosomatic disorders
- Intensive therapy
- Primary care for healthy newborns and premature babies
- Diagnostics and treatment of congenital and acquired infections
- Diagnostics and treatment of neonatal jaundice
- Diagnostics and treatment of early eating disorders
- Diagnostics and treatment of respiratory disorders
- Neonatal intensive care and monitoring
- Monitoring of mother and baby in accordance with department's own concept
- Special diagnostic techniques
- Skull base sonography
- Hip joint sonography
- ECG, pulse oximetry
- Otoacoustic emission (hearing screening)
- Percutaneous arterial oxygen saturation
- Percutaneous test for the assessment of total bilirubin levels (in neonatal jaundice)
- Laboratory tests (at the baby's bed)
- Mechanical ventilation in premature and full-term infants
- Other medical services
- 1999 Admission to medical practice.
- 2007 Board certification in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2010 Habilitation in Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- 2008 - 2010 Medical Specialist in the Department of Pediatrics (focus on Oncology and Hematology, Bone Marrow Transplantation), Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 2017 Head of the Section of Bone Marrow Transplantation in the Department of Pediatrics, Charite University Hospital Berlin.
- 1997 - 1998 Doctoral Student, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg.
- Since 2016 Development and expansion of the National Neuroblastoma Biobank.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.