Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Pediatric Surgery (594946)
Specialized in: pediatric surgery
About the Department of Pediatric Surgery at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full range of surgical treatment for congenital and acquired diseases, as well as injuries in young patients. If possible, the operations are performed using sparing minimally invasive techniques, which significantly reduce hospital stay. Some operations may be performed on an outpatient basis. The doctors also have in their arsenal the very latest laser and cryotechnologies, which can be used, for example, for scar revision and lymphangioma treatment. The department is distinguished by exceptional experience and outstanding results in the correction of pectus excavatum in children. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Klaus Schaarschmidt.
The department's surgeons specialize in highly effective surgical treatment of cancer in children – from newborns to teenagers. Since oncopathology is a complex therapeutic task, the treatment can take a lot of time. To make the child feel as comfortable and safe as possible, he and his parents can be accomodated in the same room (Rooming-in). The department mostly admits patients with such tumors as nephroblastoma, neuroblastoma, hepatoblastoma, mediastinal tumors and metastasis in the abdominal and thoracic organs. With appropriate indications, the department's doctors prefer minimally invasive surgery.
One of the priority focuses of the department's clinical activities is pediatric traumatology. The tasks of doctors in this field include not only the treatment of bone fractures, but also the surgical removal of cysts and other pathological bone lesions. The treatment of fractures is performed using Prévot technique and intramedullary osteosynthesis.
The department's range of surgical services includes:
- Neonatal surgery
- Esophageal surgery (for example, in atresia, fistula, stenosis, stricture, duplication)
- Surgery for liver and pancreatic malformations
- Correction of omphalocele and gastroschisis
- Removal of lymphangiomas and hemangiomas
- Bowel surgery for duodenal obstruction or stenosis (duodenal atresia or stenosis)
- Bowel surgery for occlusion or atresia of the small or large intestine, duplication of intestinal segments
- Correction of short bowel syndrome
- Surgical treatment of anal atresia, cloacal exstrophy
- Surgical oncology
- Removal of nephroblastoma
- Removal of neuroblastoma
- Removal of hepatoblastoma
- Removal of mediastinal tumors
- Removal of metastasis in the thorax or abdominal cavity
- Diagnostic procedures
- Thoracoscopic lung resection
- Laparoscopic tumor biopsy
- Laparoscopy for the second opinion
- Pediatric traumatology
- Treatment of bone fractures (Prévot technique, intramedullary osteosynthesis)
- Interventions in case of cysts and other bone diseases (for example, non-ossifying fibromas, osteoid osteomas, chronic osteomyelitis)
- Thoracic surgery (minimally invasive procedures)
- Correction of pectus excavatum (Nuss procedure)
- Correction of pectus carinatum
- Correction of hiatal hernia
- Correction of esophageal duplication
- Correction of dysphagia caused by esophageal stenosis
- Correction of vascular displacement caused by weakness of the cartilaginous tracheal half rings (aortopexy in tracheomalacia)
- Treatment of lung lesions using echinococcus
- Removal of bronchogenic cysts, correction of pulmonary hyperventilation, pulmonary sequestration
- Correction of lung malformations
- Thoracoscopic removal of pleura (pleurectomy) for the prevention of recurrent pneumothorax
- Treatment of pleural empyema
- Decortication (removal of scar tissue from the lungs and thorax for the improvement of respiratory function)
- Plastic surgery, laser surgery, cryotherapy
- Plastic surgery
- Correction of hand malformations (hexadactyly, syndactyly)
- Correction of protruding ears
- Scar revision after surgery to treat goiter and thyroid tumors
- Microsurgical thyroidectomy (thyroid removal)
- Scar revision after the removal of neck cysts and fistulas
- Scar revision after other operations
- Scar revision after burns
- Correction of cicatricial contractures (especially on the wrists)
- Laser therapy, cryotherapy
- Treatment of scars and hemangiomas using NdYAG laser
- Ultrasound therapy of lymphangiomas using OK432
- Plastic surgery
- Pediatric urology
- Early surgery and microsurgical correction of hypospadias, urethral developmental disorders and penile curvature
- Flap plastic surgery (skin grafting) and transplantation of the oral mucosa for plastic restoration of the reproductive organs
- Removal of the urethral valves (urethroscopic resection) and ureterocele treatmennt
- Surgical correction of bladder exstrophy and epispadias
- Surgical treatment of ureteral stenosis and vesicoureteral reflux
- Correction of duplex kidney, polycystic kidney disease
- Correction of urinary tract malformations
- Bladder augmentation
- Bedwetting (enuresis) diagnostics
- Comprehensive functional diagnostics of the kidneys, bladder and ureters (uroflowmetry)
- Minimally invasive surgery for undescended testes
- Varicocele embolization
- Interventions on the reproductive organs in girls
- Surgery for the removal of cysts on the internal female reproductive organs
- Interventions in gynatresia, congenital occlusions of the female reproductive organs, such as the uterus, fallopian tubes, vagina
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Correction of undescended testes
- Bowel surgery in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Pancreatic interventions
- Appendix removal
- Correction of short bowel syndrome
- Thal procedure for gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Splenectomy (spleen removal)
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Bowel resection, colectomy
- Treatment of Hirschsprung's disease and anal atresia
- Formation of ileostomy, colostomy
- Adrenalectomy (adrenal gland removal)
- Pancreatic pseudocyst surgery after pancreatitis
- Treatment of liver lesions caused by echinococcus
- Placement of feeding probes using endoscope
- Endoscopic examinations, functional diagnostics
- Outpatient surgery
- Other medical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dr. h. c. Klaus Schaarschmidt
- 1987 Board certification in Surgery.
- 1987 - 1998 Department of Pediatric Surgery, University Hospital Muenster.
- 1995 Mikulicz-Kelling Prize for Achievements in Endoscopic Surgery.
- 1995 Professor of Pediatric Surgery.
- 1995 Chief Physician of the Department of Pediatric Surgery at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- 1995 Honorary Doctorate.
- Surgery for newborns and premature babies.
- Pediatric urology.
- Pediatric traumatology.
- Thoracic surgery in children.
- Minimally invasive abdominal surgery in children.
- Pediatric cancer surgery.
- Pediatric plastic surgery.
- Pediatric gastroenterology.
- Laser therapy, cryotherapy for hemangioma treatment.
- Lymphangioma treatment.
- Emergency medical care.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Pediatric Surgery.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.