Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Neurology (594952)
Specialized in: neurology
About the Department of Neurology at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Neurology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the comprehensive diagnostics and effective conservative treatment of all diseases of the nervous system. The key focus is on the treatment of stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, epilepsy and dizziness. The department operates the highly modern Stroke Unit certified by the German Stroke Society. The department's neurologists use all their clinical experience and expert knowledge in interdisciplinary cooperation with doctors from related fields for the development of an individual treatment regimen for each patient. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Georg Hagemann.
Epilepsy treatment is a priority for the department's neurologists. To detect the pathology, the department performs various laboratory tests, as well as EEG and MRI. The treatment is based on long-term (sometimes life-long) drug therapy, which is prescribed to each patient individually. The selection of drugs depends on the type of seizures. In the absence of positive dynamics during therapy, the doctors consider surgical treatment methods or stimulation therapy (in collaboration with the Department of Neurosurgery).
Of particular interest to the department is the treatment of motor disorders, particularly, Parkinson's disease. To optimally control the pathology, the patients require timely diagnostics, as well as the selection of the most effective treatment tactics. As a rule, the therapy includes several methods, for example, intake of medications, intensive course of physiotherapy and deep brain stimulation. All these therapeutic measures help to prevent the progression of pathology and significantly improve the quality of life of the patient.
The department's diagnostic options include:
- Dopplerography and duplex ultrasonography of the cerebral vessels
- Electroencephalography, including video recording of results
- Nerve conduction velocity measurement
- Recording of evoked potentials
- Examination of blinking reflex
- Diagnostics of the state of the autonomic nervous system
- Neuropsychological examinations
- Logopedic diagnostics
- Swallow diagnostics
- Lumbar puncture
- Other diagnostic tests
The department specializes in the treatment of the following neurological disorders:
- Brain diseases
- Stroke (within the certified Stroke Unit)
- Multiple sclerosis
- Dementia (for example, Alzheimer's disease)
- Parkinson's disease and other extrapyramidal movement disorders
- Brain tumors
- Spinal cord diseases
- Inflammation, tumors and metabolic disorders
- Lesion of the nerve roots caused by pathologies of the intervertebral discs (for example, lumbago)
- Peripheral nerve diseases
- Compression syndromes
- Injuries caused by accidents
- Peripheral nerve dysfunction caused by toxic influence
- Neuromuscular diseases
- Neuromuscular junction diseases (for example, myasthenia gravis and Lambert-Eaton syndrome)
- Inflammatory processes
- Congenital metabolic diseases of the muscles
- Other neurological diseases
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Georg Hagemann
Education and Professional Career
- 1983 - 1991 Study of Medicine and Physics in Muenster and London, UK.
- 1991 Doctoral thesis defense with honors, University of Muenster, Institute of Physiology and Neurophysiology, University Prize for Doctoral Thesis.
- 1991 - 2001 University of Duesseldorf, Department of Neurology.
- 1998 Work at the National Hospital for Nervous Diseases, London.
- 1999 Board certification in Neurology.
- 2001 - 2010 Department of Neurology, University Hospital Jena.
- 2003 Habilitation and Venia legendi in Neurology, Teacher of Neurology at the University of Jena.
- 2003 Certificates for teaching in EEG and EMG of the German Neurological Society.
- 2005 Certificate in Epileptology.
- 2007 Certificate in Health Economics, University of Nuremberg.
- 2008 Specialization in Neurological Intensive Care.
- Since 2010 Head of the Department of Neurology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- Since 2012 Professor of Neurology.
- Dopplerography and duplex ultrasonography of the cerebral vessels.
- Nerve conduction velocity measurement.
- High frequency stimulation.
- Multimodal evoked potentials.
- Diagnostics of the state of the autonomic nervous system.
- Neurophysiological examinations.
- Logopedic diagnostics and therapy.
- Lumbar puncture.
- Treatment of stroke.
- Treatment of multiple sclerosis.
- Treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Treatment of Parkinson's disease.
- Treatment of brain tumors.
- Treatment of epilepsy.
- Treatment of headaches.
- Treatment of spinal cord diseases.
- Treatment of peripheral nerve diseases.
- Treatment of neuromuscular diseases.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Neurology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.