Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Neuroradiology (594954)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric diagnostic, interventional neuroradiology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Neuroradiology at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Neuroradiology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers state-of-the-art systems for imaging diagnostics of pathologies of the central and peripheral nervous system, as well as innovative imaging-guided treatment methods for neurological diseases. The key focus is on the treatment of cerebrovascular diseases, including stroke. To ensure the comprehensive medical care, the specialists cooperate closely with the Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery, Vascular Surgery, Adult and Pediatric Ophthalmology. The key to successful clinical practice is the use of the cutting-edge imaging systems for diagnostic and therapeutic measures. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Marius Hartmann.
The department has all the modern technologies for the accurate diagnostics and sparing endovascular treatment of diseases of the brain, spinal cord, including their meninges and neighboring structures, peripheral nerves and blood vessels of the nervous system. The progressive CT and MRI systems provide accurate images of the nervous system down to the smallest detail. In addition, the functional and dynamic methods of MRI allow specialists to evaluate nerve tissue metabolism.
The focus of the department’s doctors is on stroke patients. They are provided with emergency medical care around the clock in collaboration with specialists from the related fields (Emergency Service and Stroke Unit). Typically, stroke is treated using catheter techniques (thrombectomy). In addition, the department’s neuroradiologists specialize in the treatment of aneurysms and arteriovenous malformations. All diagnostic and therapeutic procedures comply with standardized national and international protocols.
Many head and neck pathologies (for example, arteriovenous fistulas,skull base tumors, vascular stenosis, etc.) can lead to pulse-synchronous tinnitus, and therefore, the treatment of this complication is also included in the scope of the department’s tasks. The type of treatment is determined depending on the underlying disease, the risks of treatment and the risk of spontaneous hemorrhage in the brain. This type of tinnitus mostly develops due to dural arteriovenous fistulas. In this case, endovascular fistula embolization is the optimal therapy. In some cases, transvenous therapy using special platinum spirals and biological glue can also be used. The doctors can often resort to combination therapy.
The main clinical focuses of the department include:
- Diagnostic neuroradiology
- Computed tomography
- CT-guided interventional diagnostics
- Magnetic resonance imaging, including functional and dynamic MRI scans
- MR neurography
- CT and MRI in children
- Prenatal and fetal MRI diagnostics
- MRI, CT stereotaxia
- Interventional neuroradiology
- Dilation of carotid artery and cerebral artery stenosis (balloon dilatation, stenting)
- Closure of cerebral aneurysms using removable platinum coils and blood flow regulation stents
- Thrombectomy for acute stroke
- Treatment of vascular malformations (embolization) of the brain, head and neck
- Treatment of vascular malformations of the spinal cord and spinal canal
- Embolization of intensely vascularized head and neck, skull base tumors
- CT-guided treatment of spinal pain
- Treatment of lacrimal and salivary duct stenosis
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Marius Hartmann
Education and Professional Career
- 1984 - 1991 Study of Medicine at the University of Heidelberg.
- 1992 - 1993 Residency in Neuroradiology, Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1993 - 1994 Residency in Neurosurgery, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since October 1994 Residency in Neuroradiology, Department of Neuroradiology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1995 Doctoral thesis defense, Faculty of Medicine, University of Heidelberg.
- 1996 - 1997 Residency in the Department of Radiology, University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 1997 Consulting Physician in the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- April 1998 Board certification in Diagnostic Radiology.
- January 1999 Specialization in Neuroradiology.
- 2001 Habilitation.
- July 2003 Professorship, University of Heidelberg.
- Since 2003, Deputy Head of the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- 03.2006 - 12.2010 Head of the Section of Interventional Neuroradiology in the Department of Neuroradiology at the University Hospital Heidelberg.
- Since 01.2011 Head of the Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Neuroradiology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch.
- Diagnostic Neuroradiology
- Perfusion CT in acute stroke and brain tumors.
- Perfusion and diffusion-weighted MRI in acute stroke, brain tumors, and tumor lesions.
- Interventional Neuroradiology
- Treatment of brain aneurysms using coiling and stent implantation.
- Embolization of vascular malformations.
- Angioplasty and stent implantation to treat stenosis of the carotid artery and intracranial arteries.
- Treatment of acute stroke (intra-arterial thrombolysis and thrombectomy).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Diagnostic, Interventional Neuroradiology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.