Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology (594958)
Specialized in: adult and pediatric orthopedic oncology
About the Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology at Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch
The Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology at the Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch offers the full range of diagnostics and treatment for patients with oncological diseases of the musculoskeletal system. The department is certified by the German Cancer Society as a Sarcoma Center. In addition, the department is a recognized interdisciplinary Center for Bone Tumors. The department strictly adheres to the treatment guidelines of professional societies, so that patients can receive individualized and most effective therapy. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Per-Ulf Tunn. He is a certified specialists of the German Society for Orthopedics and Trauma.
The department’s orthopedists have excellent qualifications in the treatment of bone tumors. Of particular interest is the treatment of patients with osteogenic sarcoma and Ewing sarcoma. As a rule, the treatment regimen includes induction chemotherapy, treatment of the primary tumor (surgery) and further chemotherapy. Chondrosarcoma treatment is mainly carried out using surgical resection of the tumor.
The treatment of soft tissue sarcomas in children and adolescents is also within the scope of competence of the department’s specialists. The therapy is carried out as part of an interdisciplinary collaboration in the treatment of soft tissue sarcomas. Sarcoma treatment in adults depends on the stage of the tumor. The goal of treatment is to maximally remove the tumor while preserving the limbs. If it is impossible to apply such treatment tactics, the patient will be prescribed neoadjuvant therapy, namely systemic chemotherapy, primary tumor hyperthermia, radiation therapy, as well as isolated hyperthermic limb perfusion in case of localization of the tumor on the limbs. At the advanced stages of the pathology, the patient receives palliative care to alleviate symptoms and improve the quality of life.
The therapeutic spectrum is complemented with the treatment of bone metastasis, benign bone tumors (exostoses, giant cell tumors, chondroblastomas, chondromyxoid fibromas, osteoblastomas). To treat osteoid osteomas, the doctors use an innovative technique – radiofrequency ablation.
The department’s range of medical services includes:
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone sarcomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of soft tissue sarcomas
- Diagnostics and treatment of bone metastasis
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign bone tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of benign soft tissue tumors
- Diagnostics and treatment of diseases with similar symptoms (for example, multiple myeloma, hematopoietic cancer)
- Diagnostics and treatment of other diseases
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Multimodal therapy for soft tissue and bone sarcomas (surgical treatment, radiation, chemotherapy)
- Chemotherapy before surgery for soft tissue sarcomas
- Treatment of bone metastasis with radiation therapy, hormone therapy, chemotherapy, bisphosphonates
- Palliative care to relieve symptoms
- Prosthetics after tumor resection (installation of prostheses to restore joint functions, including hip prostheses and special prostheses for growing children)
- Biological reconstruction (transplantation of the patient’s own bone tissue after bone tumor removal, especially in childhood)
- Resection of bone and soft tissue tumors followed by plastic reconstruction
- Isolated hyperthermic limb perfusion (isolated treatment of locally spread soft tissue sarcomas on the limbs to prevent complex operations or amputations)
- Radiofrequency ablation for the treatment of benign bone tumors (osteoid osteoma) and bone metastasis
- Intraoperative radiation therapy
- Treatment within the framework of clinical trials
- Other treatments
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinikum Berlin-Buch
Department of Adult and Pediatric Orthopedic Oncology.
Helios Hospital Berlin-Buch:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.