HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe
Department of Cardiac Surgery (144)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Cardiac Surgery at the HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe offers the full range of modern cardiac surgery for adults with the exception of heart and lung transplantation. The department specializes in transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), heart valve reconstruction and replacement, treatment of heart rhythm disorders, aortic diseases and other minimally invasive treatment methods. The department is the certified Center for Aortic Valve Transcatheter Implantation. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Uwe Mehlhorn. Prof. Mehlhorn is one of the leading cardiac surgeons in Germany, he has long clinical experience, is actively engaged in research activities, regularly speaks at international conferences, etc.
The department's infrastructure includes 96 beds for patients, 5 operating rooms, including the so-called hybrid operating room. It is used to perform the most sparing aortic valve surgery – transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI). It is possible to avoid the chest opening during surgery. This technology is particularly suitable for the aged patients, who would have extremely high risks in conventional surgical aortic valve replacement.
The department also offers the full range of modern heart valve surgery, ranging from traditional surgery to minimally invasive interventions. Whenever possible, the department's specialists strive to preserve the patient's own heart valve and reconstruct it. For example, the reconstruction is performed in valve insufficiency. As a rule, the stenotic valves cannot be maintained. In such cases, the valve replacement surgeries are performed.
In addition, the department's cardiac surgeons have long experience in the surgical treatment of aortic diseases. All modern methods are available for the treatment of aortic aneurysm. If the aneurysm is located in the upper aorta, doctors perform its replacement (replacement of the aorta section). If the aneurysm is at the level of the abdominal or thoracic aorta, the surgeons in most cases implant a prosthesis in the form of a tube (stent).
Other activities of the department include surgery for congenital heart defects, surgical treatment of cardiac arrhythmias, implantation of an artificial heart, bypass grafting, etc. The main task of the department's doctors is to offer each patient an individual, most sparing treatment.
The department’s therapeutic range covers the following options:
- Minimally invasive surgical interventions
- Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement (MIC-AKR/E)
- Minimally invasive mitral and tricuspid valve surgery (MIC-MKR/E; MIC-TKR/E)
- Minimally invasive direct coronary artery bypass grafting (MIDCAB)
- Hybrid myocardial revascularization (MIDCAB + PCI with stenting)
- Myocardial revascularization
- Total coronary artery bypass grafting using both internal thoracic arteries
- Coronary artery bypass grafting on the functional heart, without using the off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting (OPCAB)
- Comprehensive coronary artery bypass grafting in recurrent coronary heart disease after previous surgery
- Heart valve surgery
- Reconstructive surgery of the mitral/tricuspid valve, including in the form of combined surgical interventions with coronary artery bypass grafting and simultaneous operations on several valves
- Reconstructive aortic valve surgery in combination with surgical treatment of aortic aneurysm (acute aortic dissection type A, Bentall procedure, David operation)
- Replacement of all heart valves using biological/mechanical prostheses, including in acute/chronic endocarditis
- Heart failure and heart rhythm disorders
- Implantation of pacemakers, implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICD), event recorders (heart rate recorders)
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT)
- Comprehensive revision after implantation, including in sepsis, with laser removal of electrodes
- Removal of blood clots from atrial and pulmonary veins, including with the use of minimally invasive methods
- Implantation of mechanical assist devices (artificial heart ventricles – LVAD, RVAD, BiVAD) as a temporary measure before heart transplantation or as a permanent therapy
- Round-the-clock (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) care (extracorporeal life support (ECLS) / extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)) with mobile mini-devices of the artificial heart and lungs for the use out of the hospital in patients with cardiogenic shock
- Thoracic aortic surgery
- Aortic aneurysm surgery (for example, supracommissural replacement of the ascending aorta, Bentall procedure, David procedure), also in combination with reconstructive aortic valve surgery
- Surgical treatment of acute aortic dissection type A (AADA)
- Aortic arch surgery with the help of hybrid method
- Surgical correction of heart defects in adults
- Minimally invasive closure of a persistent oval window or atrial septal defect
- Closure of postinfarction ventricular septal defect
- Cardiac tumor surgery
- Removal of cardiac tumors (for example, atrial myxoma), including the minimally invasive methods
- Other treatment options
Education and Professional Experience
- Study of Medicine, University of Göttingen.
- 01/1991 - 06/1992 Postgraduate Education, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Cologne.
- 07/1992 - 06/1993 Research Associate, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Cologne.
- 10/1992 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 07/1993 - 07/1995 Fellowship of the German Research Foundation at the Houston Medical School, University of Texas.
- 07/1997 - 12/1995 Fellow at the Center for Microvascular and Lymphatic Research at the University of Texas, Houston Medical School with financial support from the University of Texas.
- 01/1996 - 05/1998 Intern at the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Cologne.
- 10/1996 USMLE, part I.
- 08/1997 USMLE, part II.
- 08/1998 Surgeon at the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Cologne.
- 01/1999 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 06/1999 Deputy Head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the University of Cologne.
- 04/2001 University Professor (C3) for Cardiac Surgery, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Cologne.
- 02/2003 Board Member of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (repeat election 02/2005 till 02/2007).
- 11/2004 Member (by invitation) of the Program Committee of the European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery (EACTS).
- 02/2005 Deputy Chairman of the working committee "Extracorporeal circulation mechanical (circulatory support" of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 05/2005 Honored with the degree Doctor Honoris Causa (Dr. h.c.) by Rostov-on-Don State Medical University, Russian Federation.
- 11/2005 Medical Specialist (by invitation) at the Institute of Cardiac Surgery and Biomedical Instruments of the University of Texas, Texas, USA.
- 01/2006 Participant (by invitation) of the "Commission for International Affairs" of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS), USA.
- 03/2006 Secretary of the "Commission for New Staff Training, Further Education and Advanced Training" of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 08/2006 Completion of optional advanced training for special cardiac surgery intensive care.
- 05/2007 Honorary Member of the Russian Surgical Society.
- 06/2007 Surgeon, Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, University of Mainz.
- 03/2011 - 02/2015 Vice Chair of the Department of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, University of Mainz.
- Since 03/2015, Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiac Surgery at the HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe.
- 1997 Ernst Derra Award of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 2003 Hans Jürgen Bretschneider Award (second place) of the German Society of Cardiology, Heart and Blood Circulation Research (GSC) at the 27th conference in Muenster.
- 2004 Franz Köhler Award of the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- 01/2004 "Device and methods of liquids control in extracorporeal devices for assisted circulation" (German patent service CE02A31/P-DE).
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (GSTCVS).
- American Psychological Society (APS).
- European Society of Cardiology, Heart and Blood Circulation Studies (GSC).
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS).
- International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS).
- European Society for Cardiology (ESC).
- German-Greek Academy of Biological and Medical Research.
- German Society for Quality (GSQ).
Reviews in Scientific Journals
- American Journal of Physiology.
- Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
- Annals of Thoracic Surgery.
- Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon.
- Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery.
- Inflammation Research.
- Journal of Applied Physiology.
- Pharmacological Research.
- Journal for Cardiology.
- German Research Society (GRS).
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (GSTCVS).
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery (EACTS).
- German Society for Cardiology, Heart and Blood Circulation Research (GSC).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinik für Herzchirurgie Karlsruhe
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.