HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care (145)
Specialized in: anaesthesiology, intensive care
About the department
The Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care at the HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe offers patients a modern, maximum safe treatment before, during and after surgery. The doctors of the department have at their disposal the very latest methods of diagnostics and anesthesia. The department also specializes in preliminary examination of a patient with risk assessment, monitoring and stabilization of vital bodily functions during and after surgery, neuromonitoring, pain therapy, monitoring in the early postoperative period, etc. The Chief Physician of the department is PD Dr. med. Chirojit Mukherjee.
All modern anesthesia methods are available in the department. A distinctive feature of the department is the fast-track anesthesia, in which the breathing hose is removed within an hour after the surgery. This period requires the best possible, continuous monitoring, which is provided by a team of doctors and care experts. With the fast-track method, the patient is transferred from the postoperative ward to the intermediate care unit without staying in the intensive care unit. This contributes to the accelerated time of mobilization and recovery, as well as reduces the time spent in the clinic.
The use of the very latest diagnostic imaging techniques allows the doctor to avoid complications during the intervention. These include, for example, transesophageal echocardiography, which is successfully used in transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) or minimally invasive interventions on the mitral and tricuspid valves. In addition, the arsenal of the department's doctors includes the cutting-edge equipment for intravenous general anesthesia, inhalation anesthesia with a low-flow ventilation, etc. This ensures a maximum safety for patients. Another distinctive feature of the department is pain relief (pain therapy), in which the patient independently controls the administration of analgesics. All the department's patients receive a treatment, which ensures the absence of pain after the surgical intervention. The drugs are administered intravenously, orally or using pumps for the patient-controlled analgesia. The department has continuous monitoring by anesthetist-resuscitators in the intensive care unit, as well as a 24-hour emergency service for pain syndromes.
The department’s therapeutic range covers the following options:
- Preoperative diagnostics with risk assessment
- Ultrasound examination
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- X-ray examination
- CT, MRI
- Single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT)
- And other diagnostic methods
- All anesthesia methods
- Fast-track anesthesia
- Intravenous general anesthesia
- Inhalation anesthesia with low-flow ventilation
- Patient-controlled analgesia
- Control and stabilization of vital bodily functions during and after surgery
- Intensive care
- Blood transfusion
- Monitoring of patients in the early postoperative period
- Treatment of specific diseases within the operational intensive care
- Provision of the artificial respiration in critically ill patients
- And other options
Education and Professional Experience
- 1998 - 2001 Doctor of Medicine, Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India.
- 2001 - 2003 Certification in Cardio- and Neuroanaesthesia and Intensive Care, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, India.
- 2004 - 2005 Medical Specialist, Park Hospital and Heart Center Leipzig.
- 2005 - 2007 Specialization in Cardiovascular Anesthesia and Solid Organ Transplantation at the Toronto Multidisciplinary Hospital, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Toronto, Canada.
- 2009 - 2014 Senior Consultant and Fellowship Program Director at the Heart Center Leipzig, University of Leipzig, Germany.
- 2009 and 2014 Accredited and certified by the European Society of Cardiovascular Imaging and European Society of Cardiology (EACVI/ESC) for perioperative transesophageal echocardiography (TEE).
- 03.2013 Successfully defended the doctoral thesis "On-line three-dimensional echocardiographic examination of the mitral valve: whether it is really superior to 2D transesophageal echocardiography?".
- 07.2013 Medical Specialist in Anaesthesiology, Leipzig University, Medical Association of the Federal State of Saxony.
- 03.2015 Doctoral Degree, University of Leipzig.
- Since 05.2015 Chief Physician of the Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care at the HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe.
- 2012 Raymond Martineau Prize by the Canadian Anesthesiology Society (CAS) for the best scientific contribution and presentation.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Secretary General: European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI).
- German Society of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care (DGAI).
- American Society of Echocardiography (ASE).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Klinik für Herzchirurgie Karlsruhe
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care.
HELIOS Heart Surgery Clinic Karlsruhe:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.