HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Pediatric Cardiology, Pneumology and Traumatology (384372)
Specialized in: pediatric and adolescent medicine, pediatric cardiology, pneumology, traumatology
About the department
The Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal offers an optimal treatment for infants, children and adolescents. In addition to the entire spectrum of general pediatrics, the department also includes the diagnosis and treatment of heart and lung diseases in children, pediatric orthopedics and traumatology, neuropediatrics, etc. Furthermore, the department is also the Level I Perinatal Center. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Stefan Wirth.
In the field of general pediatrics, the department offers a wide range of treatment of diseases:
- Treatment of diabetes mellitus
- Treatment of diseases of the liver, stomach, bowel
- Treatment of kidney and bladder diseases
- Medical care in growth disorders, thyroid disorders
- Treatment of epilepsy, neurological disorders, motor disorders
- Treatment of diseases of the circulatory and immune systems
- Medical care in psychosomatic disorders
- And other diseases
In the field of pediatric cardiology, the department treats congenital and acquired heart defects, heart rhythm disorders, infectious heart diseases, hypertension and other diseases. At the same time, the department offers patients treatment on both an inpatient and outpatient basis.
The specialists of pediatric pulmonology take care of children and adolescents with acute and chronic lung diseases, such as bronchial asthma, cystic fibrosis and others.
The main focuses of the department’s activities are:
- Emergency medical care (assistance in case of accidents)
- Care for newborns in the Level I Perinatal Center (the highest care level)
- Social Pediatric Center (child’s development stimulation)
- Pediatrics (general pediatrics)
- Pediatric intensive care medicine for life-threatening diseases
- Pediatric cardiology and pulmonology (all heart and lung diseases)
- Pediatric traumatology (in case of accidents and injuries)
- Pediatric neurology
- And other focuses
- 1974 -1981 Study of Medicine in Freiburg, Mainz and Bern.
- 1981 Medical License and Academic Degree of Doctor of Medicine.
- 1981 - 1986 Professional training in the Department of Pediatrics of the University Hospital Mainz. The main focuses: endocrinology, neonatology and gastroenterology.
- 1986 - 1990 Doctor at the University Hospital Mainz. The main focuses: hepatology, gastroenterology, endocrinology, neonatology.
- July 1990 - October 1996 Senior Physician of the Department of Pediatrics at the University Hospital Mainz.
- Since October 1996, Head of the Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine Wuppertal.
- 2001 - 2011 Deputy Medical Director of the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal.
- Since December 2009, Head of the Professional Group on Pediatrics of the HELIOS network.
- 2000 - 2006 Chairman of the Visiting Professors of the Medical Faculty of the Witten-Herdecke University.
- Since 2004 Member of the Commission for Awarding the Degree of Doctor of Medicine, Medical Faculty of the Witten-Herdecke University.
- 2001 - 2009 Deputy Dean for Research at the Medical Faculty of the Witten-Herdecke University.
- Since 2010 Coordinator of the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal and the Faculty of Medicine at the Witten-Herdecke University.
- 1978 - 1980 Thesis defense at the University Hospital Mainz (Prof. Schönberger).
- Since 1987 Development of molecular biological examination methods for chronic hepatitis B, then also hepatitis C and D in childhood.
- January 1993 Venia Legendi, Pediatrics.
- September 1998 Visiting Professor at the Witten-Herdecke University.
- Managing Member of the German Society of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine.
- Editor of the journal on pediatrics.
- Editor of the monthly journal on pediatrics.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Universitätsklinikum Wuppertal
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, Pediatric Cardiology, Pneumology and Traumatology.
HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.