HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal
Department of Cardiac Surgery (384381)
Specialized in: cardiac surgery
About the department
The Department of Cardiac Surgery at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal treats all heart diseases in adults. In addition, the department specializes in mitral valve reconstruction with the help of minimally invasive techniques, as well as in the surgical treatment of thoracic aortic aneurysm. The department is the university center for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Herbert Vetter.
The Department of Cardiac Surgery, which performs about 1,400 heart operations every year, belongs to the largest Cardiac Surgery Centers in Germany. The department has at its arsenal 4 operating rooms and a hybrid operating room, where modern, complex interventions are performed in cooperation with the Department of Cardiology. In total, here are annually performed more than 900 interventions to implant pacemakers and defibrillators.
All modern methods for the treatment of heart diseases are available here. For example, in coronary artery disease, both conservative and minimally invasive treatments are possible. Within the framework of minimally invasive interventions, the sites of constriction can be expanded with a small balloon, and if necessary, stents can be implanted into the coronary vessels. In case of stenoses that cannot be treated in such a way, as well as in the presence of several stenotic areas in different places of the coronary vessels, there will be considered the possibility of coronary artery bypass grafting. This procedure allows to bypass the narrow areas with the help of vascular prostheses from the patient's own body material.
The service range of the department includes following options:
- All types of treatment for coronary artery disease
- Bypass surgery / Off-pump coronary artery bypass / total arterial revascularization
- Treatment of congenital and acquired heart valve defects
- Heart valve replacement
- Heart valve reconstruction
- Pacemaker implantation
- Defibrillator implantation
- Diagnosis and treatment of other heart diseases and diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- 1983 Resident, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Munich.
- 1984 Resident, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, Bronx/New York, USA.
- 1985 - 1986 Registrar, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Cape Town, Groote Schuur Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa.
- 1986 - 1987 Resident, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, German Heart Center, Berlin.
- 1987 - 1990 Resident, Department of General Surgery, St. Gertrauden Hospital, Berlin, (Specialist in General Surgery).
- 1990 - 1995 Senior Resident, Department of Cardiac Surgery, University of Munich, Grosshadern Medical Center (Specialist in Cardiothoracic Surgery).
- 1991 - 1997 Department of Cardiac Surgery. Consultant, University of Munich, Grosshadern Medical Center, Munich.
- Since 1998 Chief Physician of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Heart Center, HELIOS Hospital Wuppertal, University of Witten-Herdecke, Wuppertal.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Universitätsklinikum Wuppertal
Department of Cardiac Surgery.
HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.