HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal
Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology (389417)
Specialized in: dermatology, allergology, phlebology
About the Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology at HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal
According to the Focus magazine, the Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal ranks among the top German medical facilities specializing in the treatment of skin diseases!
The department offers the full range of medical services in the fields of its competence. The primary focus of the department's clinical practice is on skin cancer treatment provided within the framework of a specialized center certified by the German Cancer Society (DKG). The department's dermatologists also deal with the diagnostics and treatment of patients with autoimmune skin diseases, photodermatosis, allergic skin manifestations, and venous diseases. The department offers a variety of cosmetic procedures, including invasive ones, for skin improvement and rejuvenation. The first-line treatment is usually pharmacotherapy, laser procedures, phototherapy, and other conservative treatments. Nevertheless, specialists often have to resort to surgical interventions, which are performed in two operating rooms equipped with the very latest technology. Depending on the complexity of the clinical case, both inpatient and outpatient surgical procedures are performed in the medical facility. The team of the department's doctors works in accordance with the current clinical protocols and has all the necessary resources to provide high-quality medical care. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Silke Hofmann.
The department has particular competence in skin cancer treatment. In 2013, the medical facility received the status of the certified Skin Cancer Center of the German Cancer Society (DKG) for the high success rates in the treatment of cancers of this spectrum. Basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma are most common in the clinical practice of the medical facility. It should be noted that the department's doctors also deal with the treatment of basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma in patients who have undergone organ transplant surgery, and also specialize in the treatment of T-cell skin lymphomas. The classic protocol for skin cancer treatment involves resection of the malignant neoplasm, but today the department's specialists successfully use photodynamic therapy for the treatment of underlying precancerous conditions and basal cell carcinoma. Oncologists and radiation therapists are actively involved in the therapeutic process, and therefore patients with appropriate clinical indications receive chemotherapy, radiation therapy and other necessary treatments. Patients do not need to worry about cosmetic defects that may arise after the surgical procedure, since the department uses the most modern achievements in aesthetic corrective dermatology: surgical methods and modern cosmetic technologies. After completing the course of treatment, the patient is recommended to undergo regular follow-up examinations to prevent recurrences.
The department's dermatologists are responsible for the diagnostics and treatment of autoimmune skin diseases. Of particular interest is the medical care of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, dermatomyositis, psoriasis, and bullous dermatitis. To combat these diseases, doctors use individually tailored drug therapy regimens, light therapy, extracorporeal photopheresis, etc.
The department has modern diagnostic options for the detection and treatment of allergic diseases. Doctors admit patients with hay fever, bronchial asthma, eczema, urticaria, occupational dermatoses, food intolerances, drug allergies, etc. Patients with allergies receive medical care in a specialized center, on the basis of which dermatologists, otolaryngologists and pulmonologists work hand in hand. The main therapeutic method is specific hyposensitization.
The department's therapeutic offer is complemented by the treatment of venous diseases – varicose veins, deep vein thrombosis and trophic ulcers. The specialists in phlebology conduct a comprehensive examination, which may include digital photoplethysmography, venous Doppler ultrasound, color duplex sonography, phlebography, MR angiography, and other tests. Based on the examination results, the treatment tactics are determined. Whenever possible, the preference is given to conservative treatment methods: compression therapy, lymphatic drainage, laser therapy, sclerotherapy. Patients with advanced stages of varicose veins may require surgery, which is performed in collaboration with vascular surgeons.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following diseases:
- Skin cancer
- Basal cell carcinoma
- Squamous cell carcinoma
- T-cell skin lymphomas
- Autoimmune skin diseases
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Systemic scleroderma
- Bullous dermatoses
- Skin cancer
- Hay fever
- Bronchial asthma
- Occupational dermatoses
- Food allergy
- Insect venom allergy
- Drug allergy
- Varicose veins
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Trophic ulcers
- Other diseases
The department's range of therapeutic services includes:
- Conservative treatment
- Drug therapy
- Photodynamic therapy
- Laser therapy
- Extracorporeal photopheresis
- Compression therapy, lymphatic drainage and sclerotherapy for the treatment of varicose veins
- Specific hyposensitization for the treatment of allergic diseases
- Cosmetic dermatological procedures
- Treatment of wrinkles with Botox, hyaluronic acid, collagen, poly-L-lactic acid filler injections
- Laser cosmetic procedures: hair removal, removal of age spots, removal of warts, treatment of rosacea on the face, treatment of spider veins and tattoo removal
- Treatment of hyperhidrosis with botulinum toxin injections and iontophoresis
- Fruit peeling for the treatment of acne and acne scars, age spots, age wrinkles
- Surgical resection of benign and malignant skin neoplasms
- Surgical treatment of chronic non-healing wounds, including skin grafting
- Surgical interventions on the nail plate
- Surgical treatment of varicose veins
- Surgical repair of skin scars
- Surgical interventions for cosmetic skin defect elimination
- Blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery)
- Scar revision
- Removal of warts
- Surgery for hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
- Other treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Silke Hofmann
Higher Education and Professional Career
- 1996 - 2003 Study of Human Medicine at the Friedrich Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany, and the University of Rennes I, France.
- 2002 - 2203 One-year practical training in the Department of Dermatology at the Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland, as well as in the Departments of Surgery and Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Erlangen.
- 07.2003 - 09.2010 Assistant Physician and later Dermatologist in the Department of Dermatology at the University Hospital Freiburg; Head of the Immunodiagnostic Laboratory and Medical Advisor for autoimmune diseases.
- 10.2010 - 03.2012 Postdoctoral Fellow (Scholarship of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina), Centre for Rheumatology Research, University College London.
- 05.2012 - 12.2019 Senior Physician of the Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal.
- 2013 - 2019 Holding advanced training courses at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal.
- 09.2019 Invitation to the Department of Dermatology at the Witten-Herdecke University.
- 01.2020 Head Physician of the Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology at the HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal.
- 01.2004 Graduation thesis defense. Subject: "Comparison of autoantibody profile and clinical phenotype of patients with bullous pemphigoid using the recently developed ELISA BP180 method".
- 12.2007 Board certification in Dermatology and Venereology.
- 2010 Additional qualification in Allergology.
- 05.2011 Habilitation in Dermatology and Venereology, University of Freiburg.
- 06.2017 Certificate for Occupational Dermatologic Diseases.
- 09.2018 Additional qualification in Tumor Drug Therapy.
Prizes, Awards and Honors
- 1999 - 2000 Hölderlin Scholarship, German Academic Scholarship Foundation, Rennes, France.
- 2006 Research Scholarship of the German Dermatological Society.
- 10.2010 - 04.2012 Scholarship of the German National Academy of Sciences Leopoldina of the University College London.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Board Member of the German Dermatological Society (DDG).
- Working Group for Dermatological Research (ADF).
- European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology (EAACI).
- German Society for Allergology and Clinical Immunology (DGAKI).
- Association of German Allergists (AeDA).
- Working Group for Occupational and Environmental Dermatology (ABD).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Helios Universitätsklinikum Wuppertal
Department of Dermatology, Allergology and Phlebology.
HELIOS University Hospital Wuppertal:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.