Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery (26325)
Specialized in: general and abdominal surgery
About the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
The Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau provides high-quality surgical treatment of benign and malignant gastrointestinal pathologies. The special competence is in the treatment of colon cancer, liver tumors, pancreatic cancer and stomach cancer. The department also performs surgical interventions to treat thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal diseases. The surgical options of the department are complemented by the treatment of inguinal hernias and epigastric hernias. The team of the department's doctors pays due attention to personal counseling of patients, informs them about possible treatment options and the predicted result. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Kocher.
If possible, the department's surgeons use sparing minimally invasive surgical techniques, which ensure the fastest recovery, minimal risks of postoperative complications and contribute to the exclusion of severe pain syndrome. There is no need to open up the abdominal cavity during such operations, as small incisions in the anterior abdominal wall ranging in size from 3 to 12 mm are sufficient for the surgeon. The operation is performed using special optical devices and surgical instruments, which provide the best possible accuracy and safety of surgical procedures.
The department’s main clinical focuses include:
- Surgical treatment of benign and malignant gastrointestinal tumors
- Surgical treatment of tumors of the esophagus, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, stomach, small intestine, colon and rectum
- Surgical treatment of proctologic diseases
- Endocrine surgery
- Surgical treatment of thyroid diseases
- Surgical treatment of parathyroid diseases
- Surgical treatment of adrenal gland diseases
- Hernia repair surgery
- Surgical treatment of inguinal hernias
- Surgical treatment of epigastric hernias
- Surgical treatment of diaphragmatic hernia
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Other surgical services
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Thomas Kocher
- Cancer surgery – treatment of esophageal, liver, gallbladder, pancreatic, stomach, small intestine, colorectal cancers.
- Endocrine surgery – treatment of thyroid, parathyroid, adrenal diseasess.
- Surgical treatment of inguinal hernias and epigastric hernias.
- Minimally invasive surgery.
- August 2014 Private Surgical Practice in Baden and Attending Physician in the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau.
- September 2003 - July 2014 Head of the Department of General, Abdominal Surgery and Vascular Surgery at the Cantonal Hospital Baden.
- April 2001 - March 2003 Department of General Surgery, Senior Physician (Abdominal Surgery) and Head of the Department of Minimally Invasive Surgery, University Hospital Muenster.
- 1995 - 2001 Senior Physician in the Department of Surgery at the University Hospital Basel and at the Municipal Hospital in Dortmund.
- January 1994 - December 1995 Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Basel.
- January 1993 - December 1993 Department of General Surgery, Ospedale Civico Lugano.
- July 1992 - December 1992 Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Basel.
- January 1992 - June 1992 Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Basel.
- January 1991 - December 1991 Department of General and Abdominal Surgery, St. Claraspital Basel, Basel.
- October 1990 - December 1990 Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Basel.
- July 1990 - September 1990 Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Basel.
- January 1989 - June 1990 Department of General Surgery, District Hospital Bad Säckingen.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2003 Specialization in Abdominal and General Surgery, Traumatology.
- 1995 Board certification in Surgery, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 2006 Professorship.
- 2001 Habilitation.
- 1993 Doctoral thesis defense.
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Basel.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Association for Abdominal Surgery (SGVC).
- Association for Research in Surgery (ARS).
- German Society of Surgery (DGC).
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract (SSAT).
- German Surgical Working Group for Minimally Invasive Surgery (CAMIC) of the German Society of Surgery and the German Society for Abdominal Surgery.
- American College of Surgeons.
- Swiss Society for General Surgery and Traumatology (SGACT).
- Medical Association of the Canton of Aargau (AAV).
- Surgical Society of the Canton of Aargau.
- Association of Doctors of Baden.
- Association of Lecturers of the University of Basel.
- Swiss Surgical Society (SGC).
- International Society of Surgery (ISS).
- European Association of Endoscopic Surgery (EAES).
- Swiss Working Group on Laparoscopic and Thoracoscopic Surgery (SALTC).
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of General and Abdominal Surgery.
Hirslanden Clinic Aarau:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.