Hirslanden Clinic Aarau
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (603853)
Specialized in: oral and maxillofacial surgery
About the department
The Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau offers modern diagnostics and treatment for patients with maxillofacial diseases, injuries and deformations. Since 2018, the department has been certified as the first Skull Base Surgery Center in Switzerland. The head of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Dr. med. Beat Hammer.
The team of the department's surgeons has long clinical experience and regularly demonstrates high treatment success rates. The specialists set themselves the goal not only to save a person from the pathological process, but also to preserve vital functions – chewing, swallowing, laughing.
For the establishment of an accurate diagnosis and selection of the optimal treatment tactics, the department's doctors use the advanced radiography and digital tomography systems. The department also has outpatient operating rooms for minor interventions, including under general anesthesia, such as installation of dental implants or wisdom tooth extraction.
The department's surgical service range includes:
- Orthognathic surgery (treatment of jaw diseases and injuries, correction of jaw developmental defects, consequences of jaw injuries)
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction
- Complications after jaw neoplasm removal
- Cancer surgery of the face, head, neck and nose (the focus is on preservation of function and quality of life)
- Oral surgery and dental implantology, including reconstructive surgery
- Bone tumors and cysts
- Obstructive sleep apnea (in collaboration with experts in somnology)
- Tooth displacement
- Reconstructive surgery
- Injuries in the face and head
- Congenital facial deformities
- Orbital and the skull base surgery
- Orbital tumors and vascular malformations
- Orbital injuries
- Graves orbitopathy
- Orbital and skull base malformations
- Skull base tumors
- Craniofacial prosthetics and epithetics
- Facial asymmetry correction
- Prosthetics after surgical removal of tumors
- Implantation of epithets
- Other therapeutic options
- Orthognathic surgery:
- Correction of jaw deformities.
- Facial defects.
- Cancer surgery:
- Treatment of benign maxillofacial tumors.
- Treatment of head and neck malignancies.
- Treatment of salivary gland tumors.
- Orbital and skull base surgery:
- Facial injuries.
- Consequences of maxillofacial injuries.
- Orbital and skull base neoplasms.
- Surgical treatment of Graves' disease.
- Temporomandibular joint reconstructive surgery.
- March 2003 Foundation of the Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Hirslanden Clinic Aarau.
- 1996 - 2003 Leading Physician, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1988 - 1997 Senior Physician, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1987 Assistant Physician, Department of Plastic Surgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1986 Assistant Physician, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1982 - 1985 Assistant Physician, Department of General Surgery, Clinic in Kiel.
- 1980 - 1982 Assistant Physician, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Clinic in Zurich.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2003 Professorship, University of Basel.
- 1999 Internship in Australia, Adelaide (6 months).
- 1995 Habilitation at the University of Basel and Venia docendi. Subject: "Orbital fractures: diagnostics, surgical treatment, secondary corrective interventions".
- July 1989 Plastic surgery scholarship, Sunnybrook Hospital, Toronto.
- June 1989 Plastic Surgery Scholarship, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore.
- 1988 Board certification in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
- 1986 Doctoral thesis defense, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zurich.
- 1980 State Medical Examination.
- 1977 - 1980 Study of Human Medicine, University of Zurich.
- 1977 Doctoral thesis defense in Dentistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Zurich.
- 1976 State Dental Examination.
- 1970 - 1976 Study of Dentistry, University of Zurich.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- Swiss Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (SGKG).
- Swiss Society of Ophthalmology (SOG).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Hirslanden Clinic Aarau:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.