Hirslanden Clinic Bois-Cerf Lausanne
Department of Oncology (26251)
Specialized in: oncology
About the department
The Department of Oncology at the Hirslanden Clinic Bois-Cerf Lausanne specializes in the prevention, comprehensive diagnostics and effective treatment of malignant solid tumors, as well as malignant diseases of the hematopoietic system. The Chief Physician of the department is Dr. med. Caroline Zwicky.
The diagnostic services include laboratory tests, imaging tests, and various types of biopsies. The examinations allow the doctors to establish an accurate diagnosis and develop the optimal treatment regimen taking into account the individual needs and wishes of the patient. The patients with incurable cancers receive high-quality palliative care, which is aimed at improving the quality of life and pain relief.
The department's doctors are convinced that the successful treatment of cancer requires a multidisciplinary approach, and therefore not only oncologists and hematologists, but also doctors with a narrow specialization (for example, gastroenterologists, urologists, endocrinologists), as well as chemotherapists, radiation therapists, surgeons, etc., are involved in the therapeutic process.
The treatment regimen for each patient is developed individually, during an interdisciplinary tumor board. In most cases, the basis of therapy is surgical resection of the tumor, which is complemented by chemotherapy, radiation therapy, hormone therapy and immunotherapy. Chemotherapy is carried out using the highly effective drugs of the latest generation, which can destroy tumour cells. Radiation therapy is carried out in the Department of Radiation Oncology, which operates as part of the clinic. Irradiation is carried out on the latest generation Varian Truebeam® linear accelerator. If possible, surgical interventions are performed using organ-preserving and minimally invasive techniques. This approach allows the doctors to achieve total removal of tissues affected by oncology and at the same time maintain a high quality of life for the patient. The department's surgeons also often resort to endoscopic surgery and robotic interventions, which have many advantages as compared to conventional surgery, but at the same time they are not inferior to it in effectiveness.
The department specializes in the treatment of the following malignant diseases:
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Cancer of the female reproductive organs (uterus, cervix, ovaries)
- Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract (stomach, bowel, liver, pancreas, etc.)
- Cancer of the thoracic organs (lungs, bronchi, pleura, etc.)
- Cancer of the nervous system (brain)
- Head and neck tumors
- Endocrine cancer (thyroid gland, parathyroid glands, adrenal glands)
- Bone and soft tissue tumors
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Myeloproliferative syndrome
- Other pathologies
The therapeutic options of the department include:
- Surgical removal of tumors of various locations, including removal of metastases
- Radiation therapy
- Hormone therapy
- Other treatment methods
- General hematology.
- Leukemia treatment.
- Lymphoma treatment.
- Myeloma treatment.
- Myeloproliferative and myelodysplastic syndrome treatment.
Education and Professional Career
- 1989 Doctoral Degree in Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Lausanne.
- Clinical training at the University Hospital Zurich, the University Hospital Bern and the University Hospital Lausanne.
- Postgraduate training at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School in Boston, USA.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- Swiss Society of Hematology.
- Swiss Society of Medical Oncology.
- European Hematology Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Oncology.
Hirslanden Clinic Bois-Cerf Lausanne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.