Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna Lucerne
Department of Neurosurgery (26383)
Oliver Nic Hausmann
Specialized in: neurosurgery
About the Department of Neurosurgery at Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna Lucerne
The Department of Neurosurgery at the Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna Lucerne offers the full range of surgical treatment of diseases of the nervous system. The clinical practice is especially focused on the surgical treatment of pathologies of the spine and skull base. Performing both simple and especially complex interventions every day, the neurosurgeons of the department have deep expert knowledge and unique experience. The excellent skills of doctors are complemented by high-tech equipment, including navigation systems, which reduce the risk of trauma to healthy tissues during surgery. The collaboration with regional Neurorehabilitation Centers allows for proper care upon surgical treatment completion. The Chief Physician of the department is Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Nic Hausmann.
The treatment begins with an outpatient consultation with the attending physician and the comprehensive diagnostics, according to the results of which the optimal surgical intervention is planned. The department includes diagnostic rooms with CT and MRI devices of high resolution, operating rooms with cutting-edge surgical microscopes, endoscopic equipment, intraoperative navigation and intraoperative neuromonitoring for controlling the functions of the brain and spinal cord, an innovative Gamma Knife system, a specialized Intensive Care Unit for patients with diseases of the brain and spinal cord, etc. In addition, the department provides pain therapy.
An important role is played by the pleasant and friendly atmosphere in the department. The medical staff pays attention to the needs and wishes of each patient.
The department’s surgical range of services includes:
- Brain surgery
- Treatment of brain tumors
- Treatment of cerebral hemorrhages
- Treatment of hydrocephalus
- Microvascular decompression of the cranial nerves
- Spinal surgery
- Treatment of spinal degenerative diseases, including minimally invasive stabilization and intervertebral disc prosthetics
- Treatment of spinal tumors
- Treatment of spinal injuries
- Treatment of spinal osteoporosis
- Interventional pain therapy for chronic pain syndromes
- Other surgical options
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Oliver Nic Hausmann
- Spinal surgery, including minimally invasive surgical techniques.
- Intervertebral disc prosthetics.
- Stabilization of the spine.
- Spinal and spinal cord tumors.
- Navigation surgery for brain tumors.
- 2006 Research Project Manager for Spinal Injury, Swiss Paraplegic Research, Nottwil.
- 2004 - 2008 Scientific Consultant of the Department of Neurosurgery at the University Hospital Basel, Head of the Neurosurgery Laboratory.
- 2003 - 2004 Senior Physician, Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Basel.
- September 2002 - November 2002 National Clinic for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Wellington Hospital in London.
- September 2001 - July 2002 Senior Physician, Section of Spinal Surgery at the Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Balgrist in Zurich.
- May 2000 - August 2001 Paralysis Project (Miami), University of Miami, USA.
- July 1999 - April 2000 Section of Electrophysiology, University Hospital Balgrist in Zurich and Brain Research Institute, University of Zurich.
- April 1997 - June 1999 Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1996 Department of Neurosurgery, Cantonal Hospital Aarau.
- July 1995 - December 1995 Department of Neuroradiology, National Clinic for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London.
- January 1995 - June 1995 Department of Neurology, University Hospital Basel.
- 1993 - 1994 Department of Neurosurgery, University Hospital Basel.
- 1992 Department of Surgery, Hospital in Rhien.
- 1991 Department of Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Bruderholz.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- January 2004 Habilitation and Venia docendi, Faculty of Medicine, University of Basel. Subject: "Neurobiology of spinal cord injuries".
- 2002 Internship in Britain as a Medical Specialist in Neurosurgery.
- 2000 Certification in Neurosurgery, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 1998 European Exam for board certification in Neurosurgery.
- June 1991 Doctorate, Faculty of Medicine, University of Basel.
- 1984 - 1990 Study of Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Basel.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Society of Neurosurgery.
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- Swiss Society of Spinal Surgery.
- Swiss Society of Neuroscience.
- General Medical Council of London, British Medical Association.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Neurosurgery.
Hirslanden Clinic St. Anna Lucerne:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.