Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
Department of Gastroenterology (603762)
Specialized in: gastroenterology
About the Department of Gastroenterology at Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
The Department of Gastroenterology at the Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services in the area of its specialization. The team of the department's doctors has extensive experience and deep professional knowledge in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases. The department is headed by Dr. med. Beat Bigler.
The important attention is paid to both prevention and treatment of digestive cancer, especially colon cancer. In addition, the focus of clinical practice is on patients with chronic inflammatory bowel diseases – Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. To provide comprehensive treatment, the gastroenterologists cooperate closely with the Department of General and Abdominal Surgery.
The department's range of medical services includes:
- Ultrasound examination of the abdominal organs
- Gastroscopy (examination of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum), including biopsy during the examination
- Colonoscopy (assessment of the internal surface of the colon using endoscope)
- Rectoscopy (endoscopic examination of the lower gastrointestinal tract)
- Proctoscopy (instrumental examination of the rectum and anus)
- Capsule endoscopy (innovative method for examination of the gastrointestinal tract using miniature video capsule)
- Therapeutic endoscopic procedures (for example, removal of intestinal polyps)
- Breath tests for detection of fructose and lactose intolerance.
- Nutrition counseling
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic options
Curriculum vitae of Dr. med. Beat Bigler
- July 2015 Start of work in private practice in Bern.
- October 2009 - March 2015 Senior Physician, Department of Gastroenterology, SpitalNetz Bern Tiefenau.
- March 2009 - September 2009 Senior Physician and Deputy Head of the Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Bern.
- October 2007 - February 2009 Assistant Physician, Department of Gastroenterology, University Hospital Bern.
- 2007 Senior Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, Rorschach Hospital (with rotation in Gastroenterology at the Cantonal Hospital St. Gallen).
- 2006 Assistant Physician, Department of Gastroenterology, Cantonal Hospital St. Gallen.
- December 2004 - December 2005 Research Fellow in the Department of Gastroenterology at the University Hospital Bern, as well as Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine at the Spital Zweisimmen.
- 2004 Work in Private Practice specializing in Internal Medicine (Dr. med. L. Hochuli), Moosseedorf, Switzerland.
- 2001 - 2004 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine, Spitalzentrum Biel.
- 2001 Assistant Physician in Gerontopsychiatry, Psychiatric Center Münsingen.
- 2000 Work in Private Practice specializing in Internal Medicine (Platz-Arzt BEA-Expo Bern), as well as Assistant Physician in the Department of Otolaryngology at the University Hospital Bern.
- 1998 - 2000 Assistant Physician, Department of Internal Medicine and Department of Surgery at the Bezirksspital Wattenwil.
Higher Education and Postgraduate Training
- 2013 Certificate of competence in Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography.
- 2010 Board certification in Gastroenterology, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 2007 Board certification in Internal Medicine, Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- 1991 - 1997 Study of Human Medicine at the University of Bern.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- Swiss Society of Gastroenterology (SSG).
- Swiss Society of General Internal Medicine (SGIM).
- Swiss Society of Ultrasound in Medicine (SGUM).
- Swiss Medical Association (FMH).
- Medical Society of the Canton Bern (BEKAG).
- Swiss Association of Medical Assistants and Senior Physicians (VSAO).
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG
Department of Gastroenterology.
Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.