Diagnosis and conservative treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (program ID: 609336)
Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern
Jon CarnesSpecialized in: rheumatology
Department of Rheumatology
- Initial presentation in the clinic
- clinical history taking
- review of medical records
- physical examination
- laboratory tests:
- complete blood count
- general urine analysis
- biochemical analysis of blood
- inflammation indicators (CRP, ESR)
- indicators blood coagulation
- anti-nuclear antibody
- cyclic citrullinated peptide (CCP)
- rheumatoid factor (RF)
- anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP)
- MRI/x-ray scan
- 3-D Doppler joints
- differential diagnosis of other diseases of the joints
- consultation of related specialists
- symptomatic specific treatment
- the cost of essential medicines and materials
- nursing services
- control examinations
- full hospital accommodation
- developing of further guidance
- Medical records
You may also book
About the department
The Department of Rheumatology at the Hirslanden Salem-Spital Bern offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with various diseases of the joints and connective tissue. The department also specializes in the treatment of osteoporosis and other pathological bone lesions. The department is headed by Dr. med. Jon Carnes.
In most cases, X-rays or ultrasound and laboratory tests are sufficient for establishment of the diagnosis. If necessary, the doctors of related specialties are involved in the diagnostics or treatment. During the individual consultation, the attending physician will inform the patient about all possible treatment options for his pathology, talk about the advantages and disadvantages of a particular technique. The treatment is provided according to current clinical protocols.
The department's field of competence includes the diagnostics and treatment of the following rheumatic diseases:
- Inflammatory rheumatic diseases (for example, rheumatoid arthritis/polyarthritis, autoimmune diseases, systemic lupus erythematosus and others)
- Lesions of the vertebrae and facet joints caused by rheumatic pathology
- Spondylarthritis (for example, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis)
- Gout and other crystalline arthritis
- Consequences of injuries, including sports ones, provoking the development of rheumatic lesions
- Rheumatic soft tissue lesions (for example, fibromyalgia, tennis elbow)
- Acute joint and tendon lesions (for example, acute shoulder pain)
- Osteoporosis and other bone pathologies
- Rheumatic lesions of the internal organs
- Acute and chronic pain syndromes caused by rheumatic pathology
- Other diseases
The diagnostic and therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Laboratory tests
- Radiography, including digital one
- Ultrasound scanning of the musculoskeletal system
- Drug therapy using biological medicines and other highly effective medications
- Medicinal infusion and infiltration of joints, tendons and spine
- Specialized treatment of osteoporosis
- Manual therapy
- Acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine
- Physiotherapeutic measures
- Other diagnostic and therapeutic techniques
Education and Professional Career
- 1984 State Medical Examination, University of Bern.
- Internships at various US University Hospitals for 11 months.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine, Zieglerspital Bern.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine, Bezirksspital Sumiswald.
- Work in the Department of Internal Medicine and Rehabilitation, Bürgerspital Solothurn.
- Work in the Department of General Surgery, Cantonal Hospital Fribourg.
- Work in the Department of Orthopedics, University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Neurology, University Hospital Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rheumatology, University Hospital Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rehabilitation, Höhenklinik Wald, Zurich.
- Work in the Department of Rheumatology, Triemli Hospital, Zurich.
- Since 1996 Private Practice in Rheumatology, Bern.
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hirslanden AG