Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology (114171)
Specialized in: internal medicine, gastroenterology
About the Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach
The Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach offers the full range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for patients with diseases of the internal organs. The department is distinguished by exceptional experience in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases and cancers of internal organs. The ultramodern infrastructure, excellent technical equipment, as well as the high competence of the department's doctors form a solid basis for the effective restoration of the health of patients with various diseases, including with especially complex clinical cases. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med.Dinko Berkovic.
It should be noted that the primary area of the department's specialization is the provision of medical care to patients with tumors of the gastrointestinal tract, respiratory and hematopoietic systems. For this purpose, all modern diagnostic procedures and treatment methods are available here. An interdisciplinary approach plays an important role in the treatment of cancers. The department regularly holds interdisciplinary tumor boards with the participation of therapists, hematologists, oncologists, surgeons, radiation therapists and other highly-specialized experts. Such boards serve for the joint consideration of clinical cases and the development of individual treatment regimens using the most sparing and the most effective therapeutic techniques.
The department specializes in the diagnostics and treatment of the following diseases:
- Esophageal diseases (for example, gastroesophageal reflux disease)
- Gastritis and peptic ulcer
- Inflammatory diseases of the liver and gallbladder, including gallstones
- Inflammatory bowel diseases (ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease)
- Malignant neoplasms of the esophagus, stomach, bowel and other abdominal organs
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Lung diseases
- Benign and malignant blood diseases
- Metabolic disorders (special focus on diabetes mellitus)
- Pain in the thorax, abdomen and back
- Sudden weight loss
- Dizziness and syncope
- Other diseases and pathological conditions
The therapeutic service range of the department includes:
- Implantation of pacemakers to improve heart function
- Puncture biopsy and drainage of the lungs and abdominal organs
- Procedures for the implantation of stents and stopping haemorrhage (hemostasis) in the digestive tract
- Local cryotherapy and hyperthermia for tumor destruction
- Cardiac catheterization (in cooperation with specialized doctors and medical facilities)
- Intensive care
- Heart attack, arrhythmias, heart failure
- All types of shock
- Respiratory failure and pulmonary embolism
- Acute pancreatitis
- Kidney failure (up to multiple organ failure)
- Various types of coma
- Decompensated diabetes mellitus
- Other treatment methods
Curriculum vitae of Prof. Dr. med. Dinko Berkovic
Education and Professional Career
- 1981 - 1988 Study of Human Medicine at the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Zagreb, Free University of Berlin, University of Göttingen and the Ohio State College of Medicine.
- 1988 Admission to medical practice; work as Assistant Physician and Research Fellow in the Department of Oncology and Hematology of the Center for Internal Medicine at the University Hospital Göttingen.
- 1996 Board certification in Internal Medicine.
- 1997 Specialization in Oncology and Hematology; additional qualification in Special Intensive Care; Venia Legendi in Internal Medicine.
- 1998 - 2000 Work in the Department of Gastroenterology and Endocrinology at the University Hospital Göttingen.
- 1998 Senior Physician, Center for Internal Medicine, Department of Gastroenterology.
- 2000 Senior Physician in the Department of Internal Medicine I at the Hospital Maria Hilf Moenchengladbach.
- 2000 Theoretical basis of speciality in Radiation Protection for Emergency Diagnostics and X-ray Diagnostics of the Abdominal Cavity and Thorax.
- 2001 Specialization in Gastroenterology.
- 2003 - 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Oberhausen Evangelical Hospital.
- 2006 Additional qualification in Medical Treatment of Cancer Pathologies.
- 2007 Extraordinary Professorship at the University of Göttingen.
- Since October 2012 Chief Physician of the Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at the Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach.
Memberships in Professional Societies
- German Cancer Aid.
- Working Group on Oncology.
- German Society for Gastroenterology, Digestive and Metabolic Diseases (DGVS).
- German Society of Endoscopy and Imaging Techniques.
- Federal Association of German Gastroenterologists
Photo of the doctor: (c) Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach
Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology.
Hospital Neuwerk Moenchengladbach:
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
thanks for your request.
Within 1 working day, a medical advisor will study your request and contact you by phone (German or your local number will be displayed).
This call is free for you.