Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University
Department of Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Diabetology, Pulmonology and Oncology (28)
Specialized in: gastroenterology, cardiology, diabetology, pulmonology, oncology
About the department
The Department of Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Diabetology, Pulmonology and Oncology at the Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University offers a wide spectrum of medical services ranging from gastroenterology (diseases of the stomach, intestines, pancreas and liver), cardiology (heart disease and circulatory disorders) and diabetes (diabetes mellitus) up to pulmonology (lung diseases). The department diagnoses and treats all diseases in the field of internal medicine. The department is headed by Prof. Dr. med. Hermann Wasmuth.
Gastroenterology is the most important focus of the department. There is offered the entire spectrum of diagnostic and treatment services in the field of gastroenterology and hepatology. The central role is assigned to the work of the Department of Endoscopic and Ultrasound Examinations, which is equipped with the state-of-the-art devices. All tests are carried out with the use of high-resolution video endoscopes. The department also provides a comprehensive diagnosis of the small intestine, including double balloon enteroscopy and video capsule endoscopy.
In the field of cardiology, the treatment is provided by a team of experienced doctors having at their command the specialized Intermediate Care Unit (it includes 28 beds and offers telemetry monitoring). Thanks to the state-of-the-art medical equipment, there is provided both comprehensive diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
The range of medical services of the department includes:
- Heart arrhythmia (especially atrial fibrillation, pacemaker implantation, including MRI-compatible cardiac pacemakers)
- Treatment of angina in coronary heart disease / myocardial infarction
- Hypertensive emergencies
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with heart failure
- Diagnosis and treatment of patients with heart valve diseases
- Chronic and acute asphyxia (including pulmonary embolism)
- Syncopal episodes (syncopes)
- and other diseases
The diagnosis of oncological and hematological diseases is another key focus of the Department of Internal Medicine under the direction of Prof. Dr. med. Hermann E. Wasmuth. To this end, the department has all diagnostic capabilities, including organ and bone marrow punctures. The doctors perform bone marrow examination, the so-called puncture of the iliac crest, in a state of superficial sleep. The interdisciplinary tumor boards are also a regular practice.
The main treatment focuses of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Luisenhospital include:
- Palliative care
- 1990 - 1996 Study of medicine at the Justus Liebig University Giessen.
- 1996 - 1997 Research work at the University of Auckland (New Zealand).
- 1997 - 1998 AiP in the clinical department of the Institute of Diabetes and the Department of Endocrinology at the Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf.
- 1998 - 1999 Resident in the Department of Diabetology and Endocrinology, University of Düsseldorf.
- 1999 - 2005 Resident in the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital Aachen.
- 2003 Specialist in Internal Medicine.
- 2005 - 2009 Senior physician in the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital Aachen.
- 2006 Hepatology Certificate DGVS.
- 2007 Specialist in Gastroenterology.
- 2007 Additional qualification "Instructor for Blood Transfusion".
- 2009 Senior physician in the Department of Internal Medicine III at the University Hospital Aachen.
- 2010 Additional specialization "Intensive Care Medicine".
- 2011 Inspection doctor for AMG research.
- 2011 Professor (W3) in Internal Medicine / Gastroenterology at the University of Rostock.
- Since 01/2013 Chief physician of the Department of Internal Medicine at the Luisenhospital in Aachen (Academic Clinic at the University Hospital Aachen).
Department of Gastroenterology, Cardiology, Diabetology, Pulmonology and Oncology.
Academic Teaching Hospital Luisenhospital of the Aachen University:
Request more information now.
We will be happy to answer all your questions.
Thank you for your confidence in the Booking Health portal.
A medical coordinator will contact you within 24 hours and answer all questions that might interest you.
you will receive a reply shortly Home